help spec'ing out a new computer

qclabrat

I work for an MEP engineering firm modeling in Revit and AutoCAD. My work laptop is an HP Z-Book with Intel i7-6700HQ CPU @2.6GHz with 40Gb ram.
the Z series is really good, which graphics card do you have in the laptop?

gtluke

The Moped
I learned autocad on a 286 with a green screen monitor and no mouse.
Eventually high school got upgraded and we got a 386 with windows and a mouse and a color screen. I bet it had like 16k of memory.
Today, I still use autocad and it's 99% the same god damn program, but I now have 16GB of memory and it chokes and doesn't want to run. SAD.

qclabrat

I learned autocad on a 286 with a green screen monitor and no mouse.
Eventually high school got upgraded and we got a 386 with windows and a mouse and a color screen. I bet it had like 16k of memory.
Today, I still use autocad and it's 99% the same god damn program, but I now have 16GB of memory and it chokes and doesn't want to run. SAD.
I did too, and it took 2 hrs to render a small drawing on megamodel.
but then again I was also patient enough then to wait the same time to download nudie pics...

qclabrat

I would check application hardware requirement first.
yes you can run CAD on i3 machines just like you can use an on-board graphics chip
but not optimized, not even close especially for rendering

from Autodesk for 2018
CPU Type 32-bit: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) processor
64-bit: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 64-bit (x64) processor
Memory 32-bit: 2 GB (4 GB recommended)
64-bit: 4 GB (8 GB recommended)
Display Resolution Conventional Displays:
1360 x 768 (1920 x 1080 recommended) with True Color
High Resolution & 4K Displays:
Resolutions up to 3840 x 2160 supported on Windows 10, 64 bit systems (with capable display card)
Display Card Windows display adapter capable of 1360 x 768 with True Color capabilities and DirectX® 9 ¹. DirectX 11 compliant card recommended.
Disk Space Installation 4.0 GB

qclabrat

29er

I would focus your money on GPU for ETH mining.
ha, my brother was looking to do bitcoin mining with his friends, showed him the price of the GPUs and how many he needed for a farm
He went back to conventional stock trading with normal money

Top Bottom