Help: Rockshox Recon RL or Manitou Machete or Other?

mtbiker87

Its easy to tell a guy on a budget to can his present bike and save for a new one, but it's not as easy to do. Anything worth "saving" for, if we are talking new, is 2k or higher, which is a lot harder to "save" up, than dropping 2 or 3 hundred on upgrading his current ride. Is it long term worth it? Maybe not, but honestly, he'll lose less on his investment, than those that buy new, and then sell the damn thing for half or less than they paid for it a year or two later. My advice....,buy all the used but not abused parts the guys who can afford to buy new sell on here, and on other sites for pennies on the dollar, and make your current ride as good as you can, while looking ahead to the day you drop some more serious cash on a new, or newer used, bike.

Last edited:

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Its easy to tell a guy on a budget to can his present bike and save for a new one, but it's not as easy to do. Anything worth "saving" for, if we are talking new, is 2k or higher, which as a lot harder to "save" up, than dropping 2 or 3 hundred on upgrading his current ride. Is it long term worth it? Maybe not, but honestly, he'll lose less on his investment, than those that buy new, and then sell the damn thing for half or less than they paid for it a year or two later.
I think it was @soundz who told me something along the lines of...
When do you think you will buy a new bike and are you sure it will happen? What is your current enjoyment worth to you? Why not do little sensible upgrades here and there and enjoy it now?
Little did he know I would upgrade everything... actually he did... lol

TimBay

When do you think you will buy a new bike and are you sure it will happen? What is your current enjoyment worth to you? Why not do little sensible upgrades here and there and enjoy it now?

You guys are right. I'll just upgrade everything. haha. That is my concern sometimes though, that it'll start with a fork here, a dropper there, then when do I stop. ha. I'm thinking I could use a shorter stem. more aggressive tires. fancy grips. haha. it does seem like a lot of people regret upgrading their starter bikes though. I'm pretty torn. I want to take everyone's advice, but I know I'm not going to save money for a new bike until I'm much closer to actually buying it. I see this as my learner bike. I'm going to rock it for a good while working on skills before I jump to the bigger investment. When I eventually decide to drop 2500 on a serious bike, I'm gonna make sure I can ride it properly. Ugh.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

that doesn't anything like me other than upgrading everything

mtbiker87

You can buy most of the parts you mentioned, in serviceable condition, used, for very resonable prices. With a little bit of searching the web, or asking around, you could rustle up a stem, bars, maybe some tires, for $150 bucks, give or take. Hell, I've picked up new/take off parts for six packs of beer. Well...good beer...but hey...

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You guys are right. I'll just upgrade everything. haha. That is my concern sometimes though, that it'll start with a fork here, a dropper there, then when do I stop. ha. I'm thinking I could use a shorter stem. more aggressive tires. fancy grips. haha. it does seem like a lot of people regret upgrading their starter bikes though. I'm pretty torn. I want to take everyone's advice, but I know I'm not going to save money for a new bike until I'm much closer to actually buying it. I see this as my learner bike. I'm going to rock it for a good while working on skills before I jump to the bigger investment. When I eventually decide to drop 2500 on a serious bike, I'm gonna make sure I can ride it properly. Ugh.
If money isn't an issue, go for it. I was one of those people that got an air fork with 9mm QR, straight steerer. Sure it was great while I rode it for a few months before getting a better bike, but I sold it for a large loss. They're not that expensive to begin with anyway. At this point, QR will be even harder to resell as this was probably 3 years ago now.

Tubeless is a great upgrade. Some wheels let you swap out the end caps to QR, but now with Boost spacing, you may need adapters too.

mtbiker87

Just remember that the biggest improvement in your riding will be improving YOU, not your bike, no matter how new it is.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
The reason why I said "I am not sure if I regret it" is that when I think back, my grin was from ear to ear with every upgrade I did. But... yes... I wasted some money. Like I said.... shit for brains but I had a lot of fun. At the end of the day.... you gotta ask yourself what is this worth to you.

jklett

I'm sure this won't help but I have the Markhor fork and it works good for what it is. I had a suntour coil fork and broke a spring so I didn't have much choice but to get a new fork and I'm happy with what I got. I also have a dropper and it's off the bike more than on lately, it doesn't stay up in cold weather. Do what you feel would be the best for the way you ride, if the upgrades will help then do them. If you're worried about wasting money, just remember that this is a hobby (best one I've found yet).

bergsnj

You have a nice bike to get started with. I suggest you take the majority advice and do not upgrade anything except the PNW dropper post. You will get plenty of fun and learning out of that bike as is. Stick with riding and I bet the bug will bite you and you will find a way to save up to get something used within your budget.

Going off on a tangent here: you could probably get a really nice 26" wheel, full suspension bike from like 2011-2013 for around $500 that would be a lot more forgiving than an entry level hardtail.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I'll stir it up a bit more. I upgraded most of the stuff on my starter bike as I alluded to before. Will I ever get the money out of those upgrades? Nope. Not even close. I did learn how to work on a bike, though. I have taken every bolt and bearing out of that bike and put them back in, at least once. From that standpoint upgrading a beginner bike can be a very valuable thing. You'll never sell it for even close to what you put in but the knowledge gained will be priceless.

TimBay

I'll stir it up a bit more. I upgraded most of the stuff on my starter bike as I alluded to before. Will I ever get the money out of those upgrades? Nope. Not even close. I did learn how to work on a bike, though. I have taken every bolt and bearing out of that bike and put them back in, at least once. From that standpoint upgrading a beginner bike can be a very valuable thing. You'll never sell it for even close to what you put in but the knowledge gained will be priceless.

Yeah, I think the dropper is where I'll start and possible stop. I had already contacted giant about it. My bike can support the internal routing but I'd have to remove the BB. Should I go for it or have the lbs do it?

Top Bottom