hello from mantua

sgibby88

hello all im a newbie looking to get into the mountain bike scene and quite honestly have no clue where to even start bike wise. not sure if i want to go hard tail or full suspension. Not trying to break the bank buying a bike but also dont want a piece of crap. My main goal is a decent well rounded bike with the ability to be able to upgrade. I did some browsing and clearly everybody here seems very knowledgeable. If i go hardtail is the gt pantera any good? Or would i be wasting my money. I dont want to spend big bucks or something i might not enjoy. Thank you for your time

qclabrat

Interesting:
MantuaComuneComune di Mantova
Panorama of Mantua

6px-Red_pog.svg.png

Mantua
Location of Mantua in Italy
Coordinates:
17px-WMA_button2b.png
45°9′23″N 10°47′30″ECoordinates:
17px-WMA_button2b.png
45°9′23″N 10°47′30″ECountryItalyRegionLombardyProvinceMantua (MN)FrazioniCastelletto Borgo, Cittadella, Curtatone, Formigosa, Frassino, Gambarara, Lunetta, VirgilianaGovernment • Mayor Mattia Palazzi (PD)Area • Total 63.97 km2 (24.70 sq mi)Elevation 19 m (62 ft)Population (31 June 2009) • Total 48,353 • Density 760/km2 (2,000/sq mi)Demonym(s) MantovaniTime zoneCET (UTC+1) • Summer (DST)CEST (UTC+2)Postal code 46100Dialing code 0376Patron saintAnselm of Lucca, the YoungerSaint day March 18Websitewww.comune.mantova.it

Mantua (Italian: Mantova [ˈmantova] ( listen); Emilian and Latin: Mantua) is a city and comune in Lombardy, Italy, and capital of the province of the same name.

In 2016, Mantua became Italian Capital of Culture. In 2017, Mantua will also be European Capital of Gastronomy, included in the Eastern Lombardy District (together with the cities of Bergamo, Brescia, and Cremona).

In 2007, Mantua's centro storico (old town) and Sabbioneta were declared by UNESCO to be a World Heritage Site. Mantua's historic power and influence under the Gonzaga family has made it one of the main artistic, cultural, and especially musical hubs of Northern Italy and the country as a whole. Mantua is noted for its significant role in the history of opera; the city is also known for its architectural treasures and artifacts, elegant palaces, and the medieval and Renaissance cityscape. It is the place where the composer Monteverdipremiered his opera L'Orfeo and where Romeo was banished in Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet. It is the nearest town to the birthplace of the Roman poet Virgil, who was commemorated by a statue at the lakeside park "Piazza Virgiliana".

Mantua is surrounded on three sides by artificial lakes, created during the 12th century, as the city's defence system. These lakes receive water from the MincioRiver, a tributary of the Po River which descends from Lake Garda. The three lakes are called Lago Superiore, Lago di Mezzo, and Lago Inferiore ("Upper", "Middle", and "Lower" Lakes, respectively). A fourth lake, Lake Pajolo, which once served as a defensive water ring around the city, dried up at the end of the 18th century.

The area and its environs are important not only in naturalistic terms, but also anthropologically and historically; research has highlighted a number of human settlements scattered between Barche di Solferino and Bande di Cavriana, Castellaro and Isolone del Mincio. These dated, without interruption, from Neolithic times (5th–4th millennium BC) to the Bronze Age (2nd–1st millennium BC) and the Gallic phases (2nd–1st centuries BC), and ended with Roman residential settlements, which could be traced to the 3rd century AD.

qclabrat

haha, welcome then
we get trolls here:
Mantua Township is a township in Gloucester County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the township's population was 15,217,[9][10][11] reflecting an increase of 1,000 (+7.0%) from the 14,217 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 4,143 (+41.1%) from the 10,074 counted in the 1990 Census.[20]

Mantua Township was formed as a township by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on February 23, 1853, from portions of Greenwich Township. Portions of the township were taken to form East Greenwich Township (February 10, 1881) and Pitman (May 24, 1905).[21] The township is named after Mantua, in Italy[22] or for a Mantua sub-tribe of the Lenape Native Americans.

qclabrat

Okay, back to bike
Where have you ridden?
To be frank, full suspension can get expensive, not less than 2k, unless you go used.
If you are looking at the GT Pantera Comp, under 1K is probably your budget?
I'll save you some time and anguish, you will never get ahead upgrading a 1K bike. It's sad to say but bikes are not cheap.
That's being said GTs have always made good value bikes. South Jersey parks tend to be flatter and the GT will probably suffice, but as you travel north, that's where a full suspension will help you enjoy riding. My simple advice if you don't know much about bikes is to find good local bike shop, tell them what you can afford and where you'd like to ride. Ride that bike till you know what you really need. Just as a guideline
- good aluminum hardtail around $1000
- good aluminum full sus around $2500

how tall are you, there may be a few bikes for sale on the board while might fit the bill for you

sgibby88

Appreciate the tip. I have no experience in the mob scene what so ever but have always wanted to get into it. Reason I mentioned about the gt was if I didn’t really enjoy it I didn’t lose out much. I’ve seen how steep these bikes can get. Learned that when I use to bmx back in my teenage years. Figure if I actually do enjoy it then I can always upgrade further down the road as experience grows. I’m only 5’7. The full suspension bikes are nice but a little to steep for me right now. Unless I come across a good deal which I never stumble across

JDurk

Welcome. Go visit a local bike shop, The Caffeinated Cyclist in Pitman is real close to you and a GT dealer. They will help you with deciding which bike to buy and fit you to the bike. Ceres Park is your local trail and a great place to learn to ride. A 27.5+ HT would be perfect there and the other SJ parks.

Last edited:

sgibby88

Never been to the caffeinated cyclist. I’ve been to action wheels and the place in Deptford acrossed from friendlys. I’ve known about Ceres but never been back there. I was looking at the 27.5 online. I think a 29 would be big for me but I’ve also never sat on one. Also not sure if I want to go plus or not

BPaze

Never been to the caffeinated cyclist. I’ve been to action wheels and the place in Deptford acrossed from friendlys. I’ve known about Ceres but never been back there. I was looking at the 27.5 online. I think a 29 would be big for me but I’ve also never sat on one.

I would try 27.5 vs 29 so you know what you like or find a hardtail that is compatible with both, although those are usually a little pricier. You may find 29 is a good fit for you, I never thought I would like 29 but now I love it.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I would agree with @JDurk on the 27.5+ HT
My first time on a 27.5+ bike at Nassau last year, I remember saying to myself that this should have been my first bike.
You get more traction and more cushion.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
For the trails you will be on, hardtail will be perfect and easier to find in your budget.

Most bikes out now can be run 27+ or 29 and possibly single speed. I'd look for something versatile like this which gives you options.

What are you riding now?

Top Bottom