Hello from a returning newbie

Raitlin

Hello MTBers!

I'm hoping to get back into MTB after being away for 15ish years and was excited to find this group.

Just picked up a Trek X-Cal 9 along with an 820 WSD for my wife who I hope to get interested. When I used to ride it was in South Florida and nothing very aggressive - lots of flow and some slow tech, no big downhill bits - but now it seems all my balance and skills have rusted away. For now I'm just remembering how to control the bike, taking rides through the neighborhood and trying to show my wife some basics but I hope to at least try a beginner trail soon.

I'm in Manuta NJ (South West Jersey, not far from Philly). The biggest issue is that I travel about 45-weeks a year for business so likely my only consistent riding will be on the weekend. The good news is that I have no problem throwing the bikes in the car and driving a couple hours for a good ride.

I'm scouring the web looking for local trails and it seems there are some good options - I'd love to hear any feedback or suggestions anyone might have.

If anyone is riding in my area on a weekend and doesn't mind me/us tagging along shoot me a message.

-R

welcome back, it's a great idea to have the SO involved, there's a few good trail near you which I'm sure others nearby will chime in
If she is just learning, I suggest so, rail trail rides to peak her interest like the Columbia trail or D&R canal tow path, the latter goes down to the Trenton area.

found this some where as I recalled someone else recently calling out Mantua as well...
@sgibby88 recently joined here, also from Mantua NJ, not Italy...

There are at least 3-4 parks within 30 minutes of you. GCC, CCC, and Ceres all a bit south by Mantua. Kresson is over in Vorhees/Cherry Hill area off the intersection of Kresson and Springdale. It is small, but JAR also hosts occasional skills clinics there. It is a fun little place. 45 minutes to an hour or so east is Wharton and Estell Manor a little bit more south. There is also an organized ride at Belleplain in Cape May County on Saturday.

Welcome:)

There’s a meet up group “South Jersey Singletrack” I think it’s called, that should be a good resource for you.

Off the top of my head, @sandman, @moray42, might be able to offer trail advice.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've read about GCC, CCC and Ceres and I'll look into the others that were mentioned.

welcome back there are some nice trails by you or you can venture north to Mercer or Allaire... If you get to Allaire let me know I see if I can arrange a tour...

@mike_243 Thanks for the info and offer. Allaire looks great and should be about an hour drive or so that's totally doable. I'll touch base once I'm warmed up a bit in a couple weeks.

Hello MTBers!

I'm hoping to get back into MTB after being away for 15ish years and was excited to find this group.

Just picked up a Trek X-Cal 9 along with an 820 WSD for my wife who I hope to get interested. When I used to ride it was in South Florida and nothing very aggressive - lots of flow and some slow tech, no big downhill bits - but now it seems all my balance and skills have rusted away. For now I'm just remembering how to control the bike, taking rides through the neighborhood and trying to show my wife some basics but I hope to at least try a beginner trail soon.

I'm in Manuta NJ (South West Jersey, not far from Philly). The biggest issue is that I travel about 45-weeks a year for business so likely my only consistent riding will be on the weekend. The good news is that I have no problem throwing the bikes in the car and driving a couple hours for a good ride.

I'm scouring the web looking for local trails and it seems there are some good options - I'd love to hear any feedback or suggestions anyone might have.

If anyone is riding in my area on a weekend and doesn't mind me/us tagging along shoot me a message.

-R

If you are in Mantua; the trails at Gloucestor County College, Camden County College, and Ceres Park are nearby and good for exploring and getting your legs back.

Action Wheels Bike Shop is near Mantua. Patty Woodworth and the AW crew had led winter rides at CCC and Brandywine in the past. Maybe check to see if they plan to this winter.

You're also a short drive from some prime riding on the other side of the river too. Wissahickon Park in Philly; Brandywine State Park near Centreville DE, MiddleRun County Park and White Clay State Park near Newark DE, and Fair Hill NRMA near Elkton MD. (My first choice is Fair Hill. Bonus points if Nutterz sandwich shop is selling crab cakes that day. :) )

C'mon down to Wharton Forest's Batsto mtb trails, October thru April for some pinelands riding.

Last edited:
Welcome!

One thing that works with my spouse is having a destination along the canal routes - ie ice cream.
And a nice cold beer afterwards. gotta get the rewards going. This is easy out of washington's crossing, north to lambertville and back
on the D&R canal trail.

Have fun, looks like a bunch of good info above.

Thanks again to everyone for info.

@slingblade_uhhuh I had not even looked to see what's over the river yet but those seem like really good options and some are really close. What's funny is that I was just in Elkton about a month ago and I go there on occasion for business in the area. I'll definitely have to look into that one. Im in Newark DE on occasion as well near Udel so that's another good option.

@fidodie Rewards are a good idea but ice cream and beer won't do it. I need to find a rail trail that empties out into an outdoor shopping area or a good lunch spot, lol.

Welcome!

If the Mrs is interested in mountain biking (and it's not you nagging her to get involved in something you want her to be involved in), I'm sure we can find an easy rail trail ladies ride for her to start with. I think it's way easier to be taught by non-SO people.

Most people know I'm easily bribed with food. If you leave your credit card with your wife, I'm sure we can figure out a good "rewards" system for her.

;)

@MissJR Thanks for the offer, lol. I joke about the "rewards" thing. I don't think she really knows what MTB is about or what a "trail" even looks like. She wants to start getting more exercise so there will be a lot of riding around the neighborhood and I think she would be interested in rail trails and such. I really have no idea what she will think about any type of "real" singletrack but I don't expect her to progress to it anytime soon. Her last time on a bike was 10+ years ago on a beach cruiser kinda thing so when I say "teach" her I mean basic things like making a tight turn or going up/down a curb in a parking lot.

All that said, she is up to try just about anything and as long as I approach it right and she doesn't have any crazy bad experiences I think/hope she will get interested.

Back
Top Bottom