Hell of Hunterdon 2019

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Remember this...
https://www.strava.com/activities/264462022

its roughly 3xs more miles and climbing than this ride... and much more gravel

Buckle up buddy.. good luck

Solid motivational speech right there. I'd put this sucker on the fridge, on the lock screen, on the inside of the helmet....
it should pop-up at every chance. maybe a google reminder at the top of every hour for the next 9 weeks......

iman29

I have no right to register for this and I did. Consider it a goal to achieve and work your way up to it. We do have two months. In fact... a small group of mediocre guys can probably form a group ride to build ourselves up to this. If you’re interested, although not sure where you’re located. PM if you’re interested
^^^this is totally true the first time I did it on a dare in 2014 and I am pretty sure I was DFL. The group keeps you moving and you think less about wanting to lay in the middle of the climb so someone will run you over.

Mountain Bike Mike

Solid motivational speech right there. I'd put this sucker on the fridge, on the lock screen, on the inside of the helmet....
it should pop-up at every chance. maybe a google reminder at the top of every hour for the next 9 weeks......

WOW -ok.. tire screech to a stop... lets stop and take a moment to address @fidodie BS sarcasm.. I’m not the type to throw cute little jabs like you just did. I throw hay makers Pat and don’t give two fucks about who is offended here because that’s my personality. I call it like I see it. You looking to start some shit? I watched the DT pile on... lets not do that again...

@The Asshole That Runs This Place - Check yo boy...

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

This is the realest information about HoH anyone can give @Flaubert ... or maybe I should sit back and let everyone lie to him for the sake “being positive”

You know.. HOH isn’t a ride to be taken lightly..

RobW

@Mountain Bike Mike i remember when before you did HOH, the guns were loaded but still not 16” lol. I remember all of your weekends were in the sourlands. I find myself in a different position as I been in the past so I can water the seed that’s been planted. I know you call it like it is and sometimes I may not like it, however I do appreciate it. Even all the small things stick in my head. Like, “Kevin says to spin up hills, save your legs, make your lungs to the work”.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
1547741358538.png

1547741412011.png

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
WOW -ok.. tire screech to a stop... lets stop and take a moment to address @fidodie BS sarcasm.. I’m not the type to throw cute little jabs like you just did. I throw hay makers Pat and don’t give two fucks about who is offended here because that’s my personality. I call it like I see it. You looking to start some shit? I watched the DT pile on... lets not do that again...

@The Asshole That Runs This Place - Check yo boy...

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

This is the realest information about HoH anyone can give @Flaubert ... or maybe I should sit back and let everyone lie to him for the sake “being positive”

You know.. HOH isn’t a ride to be taken lightly..

i was serious - just like i was serious when Kev poked me yesterday, and i got on the bike.
I read it as "you challenged him" not as you were doubting him!

did it not come across that way? The first line i used didn't set that tone - mia culpa.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I call it like I see it.

Be that as it may, what makes you think you see things in an absolute, accurate way?

You're talking down to people in a way that I don't think you would in real life. I mean, I read your 2 posts and they suggest you want to fight them. Is that how you really meant them? Is that what you're looking for here? Because if your intention is to come off as about to punch someone in the nose, then you succeeded.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I have no right to register for this and I did. Consider it a goal to achieve and work your way up to it. We do have two months. In fact... a small group of mediocre guys can probably form a group ride to build ourselves up to this. If you’re interested, although not sure where you’re located. PM if you’re interested

This I could do. I prefer groups on the road. I’ll talk to my better half and see if I can work in a plan to sign up and let you know.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
@Mountain Bike Mike i remember when before you did HOH, the guns were loaded but still not 16” lol. I remember all of your weekends were in the sourlands. I find myself in a different position as I been in the past so I can water the seed that’s been planted. I know you call it like it is and sometimes I may not like it, however I do appreciate it. Even all the small things stick in my head. Like, “Kevin says to spin up hills, save your legs, make your lungs to the work”.
Dudeman trained HARD for that first one.

Be that as it may, what makes you think you see things in an absolute, accurate way?

You're talking down to people in a way that I don't think you would in real life. I mean, I read your 2 posts and they suggest you want to fight them. Is that how you really meant them? Is that what you're looking for here? Because if your intention is to come off as about to punch someone in the nose, then you succeeded.
FWIW, Anytime I see Mike in person, I am not really sure if he is going to punch me in the face. However, I sling so much shit at him, if he did, I would be like, yeah, I deserved it.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Ah, the traditional end to BIYF -
Also known as Where did Dave go? Think your knee took you down at Pine Hill. (where i was run off the road by an heating oil truck last year.)

That was it. We were in a tight line going up the hill. Oil truck enters the scene. Big gully on the right. I’m out of the saddle with you a few riders up, tire to tire. truck comes in hot and close, someone takes a dive into the gully, brakes get slammed, I stop and trackstand rider behind me pulls on my left, I am wiggling like crazy, go to get back going and that hard crank with my left leg just sent pain flying. Tried to get up the next bump after the downhill using one leg but that was it and I knew I was done.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
FWIW, Anytime I see Mike in person, I am not really sure if he is going to punch me in the face. However, I sling so much shit at him, if he did, I would be like, yeah, I deserved it.

You really must, because every time I see him he's so friendly.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
HOH is definitely not easy but it’s like anything else, prepare and be fine with it. I did it in 16 on a fat bike in a respectable time with no real endurance experience. I had just started getting into longer rides at that time. The key to survival is lots of zone 2 in the next two months, don’t burn your matches in the firat two hours and eat those calories on the ride. BTW Mike and Rob are cousins for those that don’t know so they probably respect each other’s opinions. @Flaubert will do fine, he kicked ass on the fat 50.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, this is really a fun loop. It's nice to be out on less traveled roads, I've done this ride in the past and it renewed my interest in road rides. I wish I lived closer to that area to ride.

If you are not used to HOH elevation and miles, take it slow, pace yourself, you can make it if you try try try. Also do some 3+hr road rides prior to event.

Despite the huge numbers HOH gets, I've always found it to be peaceful on the roads. The first hour can be hectic but once everyone spreads out, things roll nicely. Having some buddies to ride with makes the day go quickly and offer moral support in that last hour when the cramps come.

You can do it and even if you can't, there are shortcuts to get back.

xc62701

I've done this for a few years and it's a great event. I want to do one of these up north but informally. I've got a great loop with a couple of killer gravel sections as well. Hell of Morris? Escape to Califon? Doesn't' have the same ring.

Top Bottom