Hell of Hunterdon 2017

Discussion in 'Rides, Races and Events' started by fidodie, Jan 25, 2017.

1. The Kalmyk

The Kalmyk Well-Known Member

Sometimes these craggy weather rides produce some real usable gems of knowledge. Oh and yeah- HTFU.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017 at 9:00 AM
  2. Santapez

Santapez Well-Known Member

Hmm, all this talk has me thinking I should put the cross bike together for this instead.

Mitch likes this.
  3. jackx

jackx Well-Known Member

@rick81721 If you are on NZ South Island, Untouched World has really nice stuff too, located in Christchurch ((Flagship store) and Queenstown. Really nice Merino wool and possum/wool blend clothing made in NZ.

Also, really cool and local NZ versions of Icebreaker can be found in the adventure capital, Queenstown.

rick81721 likes this.
  4. rick81721

rick81721 Well-Known Member

Back home now but we toured both those towns. Didn't see one but I was looking for a cycling jersey made from that blend, just bought some socks

jackx likes this.
  5. rick81721

Latest forecast, hi of 66, no more precipitation after today and several warm sunny days coming up. Dirt roads will be too dusty, I'm out!

Mitch and thegock like this.
  6. stb222

stb222 Love Drunk Jerk Squad

Nawwww, i will be peeping Conditions this week and as late as Thursday. Will report back.

1sh0t1b33r likes this.
  7. bigW

bigW Well-Known Member

That may have been my second year riding HoH. To this day it stands as most miserable day on a bike. My ridey peep was feeling sick the whole ride and had never ending mechanical issues. We never got going consistently enough to warm up. Soaking rain and sleet alternately, could not feel my hands for many many hours.

Spring Classic indeed and after the fact a treasured memory / shared experience.

W

1sh0t1b33r likes this.
  8. 1sh0t1b33r

1sh0t1b33r Well-Known Member Team MTBNJ Halter's

Good guy Kevin.

9. rick81721

He has exclusive access to accuweather. It will be funny if conditions to a 360 from last week and it ends up being cold and rainy all day.

10. Mountain Bike Mike

Mountain Bike Mike Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1sh0t1b33r and rick81721 like this.
  11. stb222

Rode the dirt sections in Soourlands proper yesterday and the temp was right around freezing. As expected the roads are holding alot of moisture right now but all of the ones I rode were clear of snow / ice. It is hard if the temps made these firmer but regardless, it was leg sucking dirt but it isn't like a mud bog or anything.

Duthctown Zion: Really good conditions,all of the loose stone of past years is gone
    Montgomery: Good condition, minimal holes and minimal gravel
    Stony Brook: Fairly soft, recent hole filling with small stone that is mostly out of the holes, normal pot holes around the small bridges
    Rock: The driest of the roads I rode mainly because it is in a field
    Aunt Molly: The softest of the roads, descending at 20 mpg while pedaling, normal holes around the bridges

Montgomery
    [​IMG]

Stony Brook
    [​IMG]
    The week looks mostly dry and we may see some really great conditions for Saturday

fidodie likes this.
  12. Santapez

Santapez Well-Known Member

So do I put my road bike together this week or my cross bike? :)

13. stb222

Road bike. I will be peeping the pleasant valley roads south of Lambertville this week. They all face south and are largely in fields, so I anticipate they will be excellent.

Lakeview and the flat road after Pine Hill are in areas with no sun. I anticipate them be soggy. Hunter road will be a shit show.

14. Mitch

Mitch Well-Known Member Team MTBNJ Halter's

What gear should I run?

pooriggy and David Taylor like this.
  15. stb222

Your normal, 53/11 or dont bother

hotsauce, Mitch, fidodie and 2 others like this.
  16. fidodie

fidodie Well-Known Member Staff Member

Heading to the shop for some new rubber. Current set dry rotted from lack of use.

gatorskin or gp4000s ?

17. JDurk

JDurk Well-Known Member

18. David Taylor

David Taylor Rex kwan Do

Is it possible to transfer my spot? Kinda itching to race.

19. 1sh0t1b33r

1sh0t1b33r Well-Known Member Team MTBNJ Halter's

Start HOH, ride to H2H, race H2H, join back in and finish HOH.

Flaubert and Mitch like this.
  20. stb222

Neither, Vittoria CGIII (Paves) and then take them off after the ride and put 4000s II's on.

If not, then the 4000 all seasons, the gatorskins have a harder compound than the AS and I have found they are slippery when it is wet out. Enough so that I wont run them on the front. Also, the casing is less supple.