Hell of Hunterdon 2017

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thought about it real hard. Wanted to go full tailgate, but I've never ridden my bicycle anywhere near this far so I thought it would be best to save my energy.

HOWEVER. I'm bringing my party game for cross season this year. Not allowed to say that word for another few months, right?

BUT GUYS I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS.
This was my longest ride of the year last year. You'll be fine if you can latch onto a group. Try to meet up with some peeps beforehand and stick with them as best you can.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was trading HOH for Monkey Knife Fight this year but the dates didn't work out, so in for my 7th consecutive.
Shoot. Didn't relaize they are a week apart. I signed up for the MKF too. I better start riding my bike again. Havent been on road in over a month and only 80 miles this year on a bike. I will sweep.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What's the word on the street about MNF? I signed up on a whim today while I was throwing money at HoH and Fools Classic.
Not to derail the thread, but MKF is a blast. Different format than HoH. Everyone leaves as a group from Emmaus, pace is pretty chill. Some splits on the first hills, but it stays in 2 or 3 groups. How you ask? Because every dirt uphill is timed. Which means everyone's saving their powder for the fun stuff. And by fun, let's use Goat Hill Rd as the example. 25% in spots, it's washed out gravel and dirt and 3/4 mile long. When you're done, it's much more fun to hang out and wait. Or lie on the ground and weep. Rinse and repeat. I think there are 15 or so of these. There's a break at the half-way ish point. Most likely there'll be beer there. Post ride party at Funk Brewery.
It's organized by Dave Pryor, of Bilenky Junkyard CX and SSXCCXXSS, or whatever, fame. He can throw a party. And ride a bike.
He's also not interested in killing you, which is why it got cancelled last year.
And for $30 bucks, which goes to support the Pennsylvania Perimeter Ride Against Cancer, there really is no downside.
Bike stuff: 28mm tires are best. The gravel bites. 34x28 minimum

Last edited:

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Not to derail the thread, but MKF is a blast. Different format than HoH. Everyone leaves as a group from Emmaus, pace is pretty chill. Some splits on the first hills, but it stays in 2 or 3 groups. How you ask? Because every dirt uphill is timed. Which means everyone's saving their powder for the fun stuff. And by fun, let's use Goat Hill Rd as the example. 25% in spots, it's washed out gravel and dirt and 3/4 mile long. When you're done, it's much more fun to hang out and wait. Or lie on the ground and weep. Rinse and repeat. I think there are 15 or so of these. There's a break at the half-way ish point. Most likely there'll be beer there. Post ride party at Funk Brewery.
It's organized by Dave Pryor, of Bilenky Junkyard CX and SSXCCXXSS, or whatever, fame. He can throw a party. And ride a bike.
He's also not interested in killing you, which is why it got cancelled last year.
And for $30 bucks, which goes to support the Pennsylvania Perimeter Ride Against Cancer, there really is no downside.
Can we get in with last year's entry fee that wasn't used?

Reactions: rlb

Mountain Bike Mike

This one is also a good one

I did this one last year and it was the first one they did. Here is last year's write up...

HOH 3/26
MKF 4/1
Brandywine Roubaix 4/9

then you'll be all tuned up for spring season.

I may do Rattling Creek on 4/8 instead of Brandywine

wonderturtle

In

Lord help me

as others stated above - had to make a decision between this and Monkey Knife Fight (which is shorter but seems considerably harder climb wise...perhaps I am wrong?).

both will be a good challenge for me. signing up for both (a week apart) aint in the cards at this point

but who knows...does Monkey Knife Fight sell out? If not, and I recover well, maybe....

Ian F

In. Now I have two months to train. Oh yeah... and buy a gravel bike... since my Colnago can barely fit 25c tires.

I have a question - how in the hell are they going to fit over 750 people plus cars and pit areas and whatever else in the Elk Lodge parking lot? I'll be tempted to park in Hopewell and ride the couple of miles to the start point.

Oh, and registration is over 500 now.

Mountain Bike Mike

In. Now I have two months to train. Oh yeah... and buy a gravel bike... since my Colnago can barely fit 25c tires.

I have a question - how in the hell are they going to fit over 750 people plus cars and pit areas and whatever else in the Elk Lodge parking lot? I'll be tempted to park in Hopewell and ride the couple of miles to the start point.
Parking is at Montgomery High School around the corner

Ian F

OK - that makes more sense. Is that where it will start as well? Right now the BikeReg the start point address is Elk Lodge.

Ian F

Are there police at the Rt 31 crossing at mine rd?

Now what fun would that be? :p

I'd ride from home, but the start point is over 30 miles away... not sure I can really add another 60+ miles to the day. Especially this early in the season. I'll be happy if I finish the whole ride in under 6 hrs.

hotsauce

@Mountain Bike Mike @MadisonDan, Agreed 25mm tires are all you need. I did Fools Classic last year on 23mm Conti 4000sii's and was fine. Ran them on Pacenti SL23 rims and so the tires measured 27.5-28mm. I did manage to blow a hole in the side wall of a tire but thankfully it held the whole time.

I'm selling the bike I rode last year and my road bike is an old-model Cannondale SuperSix Evo which won't take tires larger than 23mm. Competitive Cyclist was selling Michelin Pro4 Endurance tires for a song before Christmas so 28mm tires on the cross bike should be prefect with 42 x 11-32 gearing. (fingers crossed)

Top Bottom