Hell of Hunterdon 2017

Mountain Bike Mike

@pooriggy sucks about your flat, we were flying...

I have no excuse for leaving you for dead.. I suck...

It took us a while to catch back up with you after you @Chris26er dropped us on Wertzville.. 6er was pushing a crazy pace

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
The Fat Bike Hater Posse in full effect.

IMG_20170325_171752_498.jpg

Last edited:

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
My day was rough but I needed it. I have barely rode bicycles this year due to a variety of reasons (most of them health issues) so I figured I would die at the top of Hollow and call my ride there.

Pat, Rick and I started off together in the last wave. I felt alright all things considered. I didn't get too deep into the ride when things went south.

I made it to Pine Hill. That thing blew me up and my knee went full spaz because of it. I could only climb with my left leg at that point because of the IT band pain I was getting. Not fun. So I went to the side of the road. The SAG wagon dude came up and we talked for a few minutes about me getting a ride back. I figured I wouldn't finish today, but a SAG ride was not what I pictured. He drove off and I turned around and stayed on course until I got to Ringoes. I was looking for a flatter route since climbing was not going well. I figure I could at least make it to the first rest stop and if the pain was still at the level it was, I would just take a ride from there.

I happened to bump into two other guys in Ringoes who were attempting to find their way back. One guy had broken his chain (he got it fixed) and wasn't feeling it and the other guy who was with him said he only wanted to do 50 miles anyway. Since I knew the roads back we teamed up. We took Wertzville back and climbed Lindbergh. My knee did not approve but I grinded it out.

So 49 miles in total for me. I'm honestly really happy with the result today. I was doubting I could do two climbs today but pulled off a few more and managed to limp my way back without taking a ride in a car. Today just means I have some ground to make back up in my fitness, and this was a good start to getting it back.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Now that I'm home, my first HOH was fun. I grabbed a bacon egg and cheese wrap and cold brew from DD's on my way over and arrived around 8am. I looked all over and couldn't find Kevin for a selfie. Sad face. I started out in wave 172 and tried to keep up with Mitch and Sean, but that only last so long. Luckily I spotted @Santapez and @StayHydrated at the second station around mile 40, so I rode out just about the rest of it with them. I cramped for almost the first time in my years biking on the longer climb around mile 70 and had to get off for a minute. Sucked down another delicious and free banana gel with some water and jumped back on to try to ride it out. I'm not sure what an average finish is for this, but it looks like I got in at around the 6hr mark. I was just glad I was able to ride the entire thing on my ~100 miles on a bike so far this year.

View attachment 49867 Magic: The Gathering (@StayHydrated for the win)
a.k.a. @hotsauce.

It was fun riding with you and @Mitch for 5 minutes. As I was pulling into the second station, you guys were just leaving again, lol. Good times.

u got lucky. Also how fast do u go downhill, look at your Garmin...and don't lie.
SUPER FAST. Also, vests are awesome. I overdressed in my base layer though so I was kind of screwed regardless.
downhillspd.jpg

Stef

❤ Brownie Biatch ❤
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks. I can't find most of the parts to my cross bike. I think I have 90% of a road bike laying around though. Any on the road adjustments can be fixed by the awesome SAG. First road ride of the year!

I always have the option of my 30+lb touring bike... 26x32 will work well on any hills...

I had this weird dream last night I didn't do HOH because I never set an alarm and @sarcaro sent me a text telling me I was a loser.
Why would I do that??

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I didn't take any before pics - was worried about the phone not making it the 9 hours it was going to take me to get through
this - more over in my babblings thread - later.

Nice to get to shake @stb222's hand, and the rest of the cast. @rottin' , @Mountain Bike Mike, @David Taylor,
@Mitch, @pooriggy, @seanrunnette , @StayHydrated, @grilledcheeseking. Didn't see @bigW, but he was there.
Few others: Caroline from High Gear, Eric from Hilltop. John, Jim, Sten from watchung wheelmen. Daryl, and Nikki
from Paramount. I'm sure there were more. (Fred B, Mark G - don't think i've met you in person)

and these fellers - no picture of @clarkenstein

@Santapez didn't have any trouble with his alarm
IMG_6310.JPG

@1sh0t1b33r - Starting this season's training
IMG_6311.JPG

@WJF and @rick81721 enjoying the spoils!
IMG_6308.JPG

@rick81721 donning the @stb222 approved jersey
IMG_6307.JPG

@wonderturtle rocks steady!
IMG_6306.JPG

Last edited:

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I didn't take any before pics - was worried about the phone not making it the 9 hours it was going to take me to get through
this - more over in my bablings thread - later.

Nice to get to shake @stb222's hand, and the rest of the cast. @rottin' , @Mountain Bike Mike, @David Taylor,
@Mitch, @pooriggy, @seanrunnette , @StayHydrated, @grilledcheeseking. Didn't see @bigW, but he was there.
Few others: Caroline from High Gear, Eric from Hilltop. John, Jim, Sten from watchung wheelmen. Daryl, and Nikki
from Paramount. I'm sure there were more. (Fred B, Mark G - don't think i've met you in person)

View attachment 49876

View attachment 49877

View attachment 49878

View attachment 49879

View attachment 49880
Dat camelbak doh!

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
this - more over in my bablings thread - later.

View attachment 49876

View attachment 49877

View attachment 49878

View attachment 49879

View attachment 49880
Nice meeting you!

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
19559.jpeg
Great day and great to see everyone from the board out there today. Except for a few front wavers I got to say hi to most of you..
Having around 5 different groups of friends out there today I was kinda up in the air about who I would ride with or at least start to ride with.. Being the only one on the SS since @1sh0t1b33r didn't bring his cross bike I had to pick a group or guys to start with. I chose Magic and Big Sean @seanrunnette , Good choice for myself maybe not for Sean.. We all started out in the last wave and things moved along pretty quickly and for the 1st 20 miles or so I think I was avg 18 to 20 mph and feeling good. After waiting for Magic at the 1st rest stop we took off again and basically for the next 50 miles Sean pulled me through at a clip that I would not have done without him. He runs an E bike and turns on the battery as soon as the road turns gravel and goes down. He just fly's through that shit like nothing and then waits for me to catch up at the end. I started to bonk a bit at mile 50 but he pulled me along the whole ride. Mile 70 before the last big climb I stopped for a pee break and the crew kept moving on. I hit the rest of the course solo and slowed down a bunch not having Big Sean pulling me but I finished in 5 hours on the dot so I was pleased. 5 hrs, 16.1 avg and I am alive. Great day.. Thanks again Sean for being kind enough to slow down your ride to keep me going, class move on your part. Great to see you all again too..
Here are some after shots because my phone was in waterproof bag all ride so no pictures during day. Only some of you may see these, I selected who.
_KbvU6m6C-KgJNV4wDFRll3O5PCaqbEmS5P4fvkwlm2iLfRd33gHHxdKy5rPh1dJRoLH17fW0MkIHHrZaF463KUrU6IRStLBtOf33JcgdLTCu_-LA6hy6f6lV-I3PyAx5cPdY807eSpL6jsqsDW_pY_n9EsqIRZ3Rd62qpDuONVyR5uvAZ9TZ6aeP__VAmxP8-C_2GLR-yH13oMAzOPhs6nynxydYFmUGQw2HPpGOeU9EybXFc6kpRS671XOb-TJvPT93ZlVrDPZCq9fDe3CoBk9KvHnQcTLN4BEhFFHmDRTwLhID-hwLzJvrPGgOJicxIoi08ODeY0AEH79OXSze_m_F5DLnn5bcjKEevlK0w0HKA5P-0OKFHGoWzdw9F7K8udHgpk46y5tshgIvx5HbWOuj4JheM5xwgHw_YEew3DtuuuAtGPmDuixQFgXJEoCJenl8te4FpHXgKhYGYk_UX9XrKXMvx_oGkSZUZhxCVV-sUXDGzrzr1PujDneFuuQA0OtFmqeyVzZW1UQvUV0hrSKv3uxWpDkKJKtA14lf7sqii3HQanwnXtnRPbQyhaKA1osPp5e-vA56sHUkOgVml_EHlxMbwkBGBNfYq0D_TGxZ9GjTA=w1200-h900-no

YaCqLP5u-N4t2cT9933NswkA7DHxHvP2OU6sICAgwIYVq9AvpmjQFqd0xMqy4x5VpoUk6rB-_57QorpWcKyELeTeV6ldvskma7T66YUIgBdqevin8IeE7jGALbDezGDyWd66SloL_gmZN55ZRJD_57u13EGhTBcnQn24MgVBy5yqDpphKSEeWqhwPTs0Fl8yPIc0VlJqEnxwLKjQ9rs-w4rHJvF_92FTErGBGtbUrPn7k92kTZQxnXl7Z-SeaVvzGMiXpXBPI12CbsHpCmWu2P_02THbphd-pdwJz_zm9BMbBKOhRgvGP-ICC5Umzt9kmrQNyD-A_Y6_NxZW0HD4z3dvbG5uKHh9or7WJjm0liWqewYetzhZDO_RTLl7ywAMvADGanbDAb5iI3-s9O6Ao1f4_f2EZdmVH5vKSKL9CUeOK_JXCuf3qR5FzmoFsj7dPJguI8IGwFmJvAgblDeoeoDD8MS2uwTnDm5LeKwKaTK2QIA2InL-4VvfcAjQGXM35aJrBViOSRnwaTNhI0NZHZJRbOMM2y0W3NEVoo8BVcdyi1T4I-ENCm2o4tf2WteAAdELtLtIgGhjjOTh4bFe-Sx1_Vx8nprnmqGMZG9QkB71wj9kQg=w507-h900-no
The crew after with @seanrunnette , @YoBikeLady , Nellie, waters

Last edited:
Top Bottom