Hell of Hunterdon 2017

Ian F

I'll be running whatever tires came on my new Grade. Don't remember the brand, but do know they are 28c. I ordered fenders from jdog yesterday although I don't know if I'll be in NJ again before the ride.

Edit: Crap. Finally remembered to look at the bike. NOT a 28C tire. Actually a 32C tire. Clement Strada USH. Hopefully the fenders fit and/or I don't need them. Doh... :oops:

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
I was checking and I have tires out the wazoo, a set of conti gp 4seasons, pair of conti 4000Sii and the Hutchinson sector 28 tubeless I won in the hoh raffle prizes 2 years ago. Wonder if the Hutchinsons will even fit on the evo? Prolly never use them

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I was checking and I have tires out the wazoo, a set of conti gp 4seasons, pair of conti 4000Sii and the Hutchinson sector 28 tubeless I won in the hoh raffle prizes 2 years ago. Wonder if the Hutchinsons will even fit on the evo? Prolly never use them
The 28's probably wont fit on your EVo, however hutchinson's are known to run small. The new EVo's are sized to fit 28's. That being said, I am running 27's, I actually measure them tonight

rick81721

Lothar
The 28's probably wont fit on your EVo, however hutchinson's are known to run small. The new EVo's are sized to fit 28's. That being said, I am running 27's, I actually measure them tonight

Interesting how the rim internal width makes a difference in inflated tire width. I don't have calipers but eyeballing with a tape measure mine seem to be exactly 1 in, which is a hair over 25mm.

Road update - hit Dutch-Zion, Montgomery and Aunt Molly. The sourlands are melting down big-time and there is runoff everywhere so I expected mud but all three were almost bone dry. Dutch-Zion and Monty are so smooth, dry and devoid of stones it's a joke, they are practically paved roads. Aunt Molly was a little bumpier and a few more little pot holes but otherwise a breeze. A line of potholes on Monty right before the paved section starts again is the only slightly sketchy section if you're in a tight group of fast riders. I'm sure the roads further west will be more challenging.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Rode the Pleasant Valley dirt roads this morning, Lakeview, Hunter, Barry and Wilson.

Lakeview is good, quite a few potholes and braking bumps but nothing you cant avoid but use caution if you are in the back of a group. Sides of the road are softer.

Hunter, this road starts as a paved downhill into a 90 degree s-turn, take caution as there is quite a bit of gravel on the S, especially the second turn of the S. The first part of the dirt section is great, large potholes around the bridge, after you crest a small hill, itis downhill again and is a quarter stone road, however the soft dirt as eaten the stone and it is great, the right wheel path is the ticket. Half way down this is a huge section of splattery run off, could be dry by Saturday. The flat section after this is always a shit show:
E95063F6-2349-4757-9FCA-E42949732BA9_zpst8vhaeih.jpg

The cross on the right is typically for the number of tubes/tires that have lost their life here, However, the good thing about the mud is that it ate the stone so the people who dont pay attention probably wont suffer flats. However, the trade off is the bad bike handlers are going to be all of the place as the wheel paths are wet and water filled and the center is mush. After the bridge, again, te mud ate the stones so it is actually smoother than normal but mush-city. This section is short. Recommendation is to not be riding behind people here, espcially the ones that prefer doing the stanky leg.

Barry is fine, leg zapping softness this morning but not muddy, faces south so should be tits for Saturday. Quite a bit of loose gravel on the ascent but youll be dead by this time anyways so high speed climbing and slipping on gravel probably wont be a factor.

Wilson is fine, Wilson is always fine. Lots of gravel in the first turn combine with break bumps. The last turn always has a bad drainage rut on the preferred inside line. It also has breaking bumps before the rut. Recommend sucking it up and blasting the rut.

@Santapez leave the cross bike at home...

Gunna be a good one!

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Santapez leave the cross bike at home...

Gunna be a good one!

Thanks. I can't find most of the parts to my cross bike. I think I have 90% of a road bike laying around though. Any on the road adjustments can be fixed by the awesome SAG. First road ride of the year!

I always have the option of my 30+lb touring bike... 26x32 will work well on any hills...

I had this weird dream last night I didn't do HOH because I never set an alarm and @sarcaro sent me a text telling me I was a loser.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Thanks. I can't find most of the parts to my cross bike. I think I have 90% of a road bike laying around though. Any on the road adjustments can be fixed by the awesome SAG. First road ride of the year!

I always have the option of my 30+lb touring bike... 26x32 will work well on any hills...
Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

Top Bottom