Hefe and Wit

onetracker

image.jpg So while a ton of folks around here drink very hoppy beers, I thought it might make some sense to create a thread for beers that are a bit different. I love hoppy beers but they do not love me; they give me a wicked case of acid reflux which is no fun. That is OK because there are a ton of interesting beers both foreign and domsetic that are off the hook!

In the summer I tend to drink Hefes and Wit beers and in the winter drink malty Stoudts and Porters. Last week I grabbed a mixture of Hefes and Wit beers that I had not tried before (and I have tried a bunch) and have been having some fun trying them out!

I will post up some of my favorites in the future. If you have some recomendations, post up! Cheers!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Hoegaarden -

lock it up :D

i like them fresh - when that banana/clove thing is rocking. no extra fruit. unfiltered.
a little more on the cold side, but it is a balance, cause the subtle flavors disappear.
problem is, it might be 100F outside - so they are warm up (or go down) fast!

Roadie

View attachment 39450 So while a ton of folks around here drink very hoppy beers, I thought it might make some sense to create a thread for beers that are a bit different. I love hoppy beers but they do not love me; they give me a wicked case of acid reflux which is no fun. That is OK because there are a ton of interesting beers both foreign and domsetic that are off the hook!

In the summer I tend to drink Hefes and Wit beers and in the winter drink malty Stoudts and Porters. Last week I grabbed a mixture of Hefes and Wit beers that I had not tried before (and I have tried a bunch) and have been having some fun trying them out!

I will post up some of my favorites in the future. If you have some recomendations, post up! Cheers!
I think Hefe and wit are great during the summer. Used to drink a lot of the Widmer bros Hefe a while back. They tend to have more calories though since they are generally unfiltered

onetracker

I thought that calories was more related to alc/vol and since most Hefes and Wit beers were less than 5% that the cal count was relatively low.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Funny you comment that IPAs give you acid reflux because stoudts do it for me. I can't drink them. Anything bourbon means a bottle of anti acids next morning.
IPAs for life!

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Funny you comment that IPAs give you acid reflux because stoudts do it for me. I can't drink them. Anything bourbon means a bottle of anti acids next morning.
IPAs for life!

Try taking them before you drink a stoudt :D

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I'm not a big fan of hoppy beers. I don't really like IPAs unless I can pair them with Italian food (then they do a pretty good job of off-setting acidity in sauces.)

I like almost anything Belgian, though - Wits, Brown Ales, Dubbels, Tripels, Quads - anything. (In fact, given that I prefer Belgain beers and love cycling, I figure if I liked chocolate more and controlled the world diamond trade with an iron fist, I'd probably assume I was actually a Belgian orphan kidnapped by Irish parents.)

A few of my favorites (Belgian styles even if they are in some cases American breweries):

Ommegang (pretty much anythign they make: Witte, Adoration, Hennepin Saison, Gnomegang Blond, any of the GoT beers)
Victory (V-12)
Weyerbacher (Merry Monks Tripel)
Chimay Grand Reserve
Brasserie D'AChouffe (La Chouffe Blond)
Leffe Blond (although you get screwed by this one since they only come in 10 oz bottles!)

Also, Riverhorse used to make a Dubbel that was outstanding, but I haven't seen that in a while now.

onetracker

Great list. Totally agree. A bit of microbiology goes a long way. One of my favorites is the Ommegang Witte. If fact, I got to drink some from the mothership earlier this year while in upstate NY with friends.

BTW - I am a bit annoyed that Leffe was sold to InBev. I try to stay away from the giants in favor of the Indies/locals.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I'm tired of IPA's right now. Hef and Wit are gateway beers to Gose's and real sours. Omnipollo makes some great stuff, check it out. Vermont is again leading the way with the resurgence of sours. Hermit Thrush and House of Fermentology are Out front. For you beer geeks, they throw lactobacillus and pediococcus in there for some serious tartness that doesn't come from acidity.

I love stouts, and I found one that gives KBS and Bourbon County a run for their money. Delicious, smooth, and easy drinking for 11%. Not boozy at all, they had to carry me out of the bar and I was burping it up on the ride the next day. Keeping it to myself though so it never reaches the level of KBS and Bourbon County hype where you get 1 fucking bottle, and have to get people smurfing it.

wonderturtle

Top Bottom