Heckle-cation the other months of the year.

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
swagswagswag
upload_2017-4-10_9-26-23.png

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice work yesterday! So what bike did you get? Top fuel it looks like?

Mrs. The Heckler has to sit in the woods for hours watching you and all she gets is some hot wings?

The Heckler

Nice work yesterday! So what bike did you get? Top fuel it looks like?

Mrs. The Heckler has to sit in the woods for hours watching you and all she gets is some hot wings?
Yup! Scooped a Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL back in December. Including this race I have a whopping 3 rides on it, but it's a TOTAL ripper! I'll have to get some pictures of that together.

I also have 10k on the Raleigh so I scooped an Emonda ALR 6 Pro with my money from the tax man. That thing is also a total ripper. The Vision wheels are FAST.

Best part THEY BOTH MATCH Dnister black.

The Heckler

H2H #3 MOOCH MADNESS - 4 Hour Endurance
SO, Matt E texted me midweek and said he was considering doing the endurance class for a fitness bump which got me thinking. With TSE in a month I figured I might as well got some longer days in the saddle riding some rocks!

I also really didn't want @UtahJoe to tear my legs off in pro, and as it turns out Chabinov also came out with a few other seriously heavy hitters. I had no business racing those dudes.

ENDURANCE! 8:30 start, 6:00am alarm, I rushed my shit so hard. Caught up briefly with some of my favorite MTBNJ faces and got my shit what I thought was together and lined up front row left. The line was painted on an angle so I had a wheel advantage on the guy next to me. EVERY ADVANTAGE HELPS?

I may have coined the phrase Endurance Bro. It's probably already been thought up.

upload_2017-4-24_8-24-29.png

HOLE SHOT! 3

upload_2017-4-24_8-25-4.png

I give it a 3/4 sprint up the fire road because all I know is to be the joke while racing my MTB. I dab on something I wasn't paying attention to and Mike M comes around a little into the woods. We ride off the front and Ryan eventually bridges to us mid lap. I haven't ridden this course since '15 and totally forgot about exactly how much rock there was! wooo weeee!

We turn a low/min 30's first lap and are riding really well together. Sitting second wheel and coming down the first short descent chute I hear a tire ping off a rock followed by the unmistakable pshhhwishhhwisshwiishhhwishhh of a flat. Ryan says "UHOH!" behind me, I have a moment thinking "maybe its not me," it was 100% me.

REAR FLAT #1 - I can number these.

I take stock of the situation. Just changed my stans on friday, topped off and fresh. The hole seals for a second then lets go. I work the spot where it's leaking, no dice. GUESS WHO FORGOT HIS TIRE LEVER AND CO2 CRACKER! Me.

BUT! I ride with my pump in my camelback, so lucky I did have air. I carefully use the aluminum handle of my rear skewer as a lever and ply my tire off. Tube goes in and gets hand pumped to about what feels like 25 PSI, but hindsight it was probably close to 20 which was what I started with tubeless.

BACK OUT! My lead group had a sizable lead. I was sitting for about 12 minutes on that flat and got passed by a bunch of dudes.

By the downhill I was fully back in it. I made a bunch of time up, made some passes back and was TOTALLY RIPPING, really feeling the bike and handling with confidence. I thought "DAMN THIS IS SO SICK, I LOVE THIS BIKE, I'M HAVING SO MUCH FUN!!!" then *BINK!* pshhhwishhhwisshwiishhhwishhh.....

upload_2017-4-24_8-26-22.png

Right at the bottom of the gutted out downhill before the short track I get a little too rad send it off a rock and land catching another tiny rock. Pinch! I walk/ride/run the course and find @1sh0t1b33r and @soundz. Maciej tried to convince me to take his bike, I ride it without moving the saddle down and have SO MUCH LEG EXTENSION. I get back to the pond and decide I'll just take my flatted bike back to the car and maybe go home to ride my road bike.

I walk, run and ride my carbon rim back to the lot and my garmin is still only at about 1:30. I still have a solid 2:30 to turn laps. I get my floor pump, lever and cracker and change my rear flat in about 6 minutes this time and roll out on 35PSI in the rear. Even with rear squish it's a total jack hammer. I pass some dudes now for the third time which is beyond comical.

I start lap 5 right around 3:30, this looks like it'll be my last lap. I get some wonderful heckles over the loud speaker from @seanrunnette and head up the climb with the Cat 2 print hot on my tails. It's funny, they BLOW BY then I catch the tail right at the start of the single track as I chug along at "don't cramp pace."

upload_2017-4-24_8-27-24.png

I ride the caboose of the class until the first "pick your line" section. The whole race I was going the easy right line and think 'I wonder if I can pass these 5 guys on the rock garden line.' aaaaannnddd surprisingly I did! but, my right calf cramped and I almost had to get off the bike.

Last lap was a death march but I finished it and damn was I spent.

I would have liked to hang and chat a little longer but I was a shell of a human after that race. Overall I'd say the endurance category was TOTALLY awesome. Really a cool change up what I've become accustomed to racing XC. Wood do again. Even with some technicals I got a huge fitness boost, had a great time and doubled the time I have on my new MTB.

Big thanks to everyone behind the scenes from MTBNJ for putting on such a great event. You guys totally know what you're doing and CRUSH IT! Thank you!!!!!!

Next up: Orchard Hill Assault, UMass Amherst - Saturday 4/29

Foto cred: @1sh0t1b33r

Last edited:

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Bummer about the flat....I would have like to see if you were still there at the end with those guys.

Its always fun coming up on the endurance guys on my lap 3...which is like their lap 6+...."is this guy moving? wait is he actually alive?" You guys are nuts...I just want to get the suffering over with as quickly as possible.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I should have had a pump with me at my post, or at least a multitool. At least you got around that section of Short Track faster on the bike than if you walked it. My bike probably felt like a tank though. Glad you stuck it out and kept going and still ended up with a solid finish despite the down time and chatting. #crossiscoming #basemiles

I think next time I take pictures there I'll have to put up a sign a few turns back that says 'LAUNCH THE ROCK'.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
any tire that comes on a bike is usually trash, sadly it takes one ride to figure that out. looks like it bit you and ryan AT A RACE, bummerzzzzzz

xc62701

any tire that comes on a bike is usually trash, sadly it takes one ride to figure that out. looks like it bit you and ryan AT A RACE, bummerzzzzzz

Yup I dealt with that 2 weeks ago. I need this new tire to stop leaking down and I'll be golden.

Top Bottom