Heart monitors

Riggedfmx

im interested in picking up a heart monitor mainly for mt biking. I have doing some reading and it seems like the wahoo tckr and garmin are the most popular. I want to use it with my garmin 810. Any suggestions?

Thank you:thumbsup:

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just get the Garmin heart rate monitor

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd get the Tickr. It speaks ANT+ and Bluetooth so you can use it with more devices including most phones. if you get the garmin, be sure to get the premium strap one

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Second the Tickr. I've had Garmin for years, just went Tickr, not going back. Rock solid connections, no voodoo. Also, Bluetooth, if you forget your head unit, or just wanna use yer phone

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you go Garmin *and* you sweat buckets, get the old version. I was 0-2 with the newer, admittedly more comfortable, version.

No experience with the French Ticklr one.

terrabike01

@Norm What happened with the newer version? It was sliding off?

I sweat bullet and my Tickr strap pretty much stay put. It's soaking wet when I take it off but it stays put.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Norm What happened with the newer version? It was sliding off?

I sweat bullet and my Tickr strap pretty much stay put. It's soaking wet when I take it off but it stays put.

It just stopped working. Fit was fine but I guess I sweat some combination of minerals that cause the leads to short circuit or something.

It's a known issue. When I called they said the fix is to stop and dry it off & clean it. Right. That's a great solution.

I think @UtahJoe had the same issue.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The new version is so terrible, if you call garmin when it breaks... They will just send you and old version, free of charge.

Riggedfmx

Thanks guys. Is it worth getting the new garmin if I'm going to have to send it back? Is the tckr any better with the sweat issues or is this a common issue with all heart rate monitors?

jimf

Anyone have experience with the armband versions?

I have the Scosche Rhythm+, it's a light based monitor and if you read the reviews of the tech it is supposed to be more accurate than the electrical based ones. Given that all top athletes use the electrical based chest straps this may just be marketing, so read the reviews and make your own call. I like it other than the strap, it is falling apart and seems to be a flaw in the design, hopefully they fix it. I seem to get consistent results and being a data nerd its fun to look at how close to death I come on some climbs. I push 190 - 200 on big efforts early in rides, hr seems to smooth out to 130-160 regardless of effort as I get warmed up but it really spikes early in rides. It feels accurate but I have nothing to gauge against as I have never used a hr monitor before and have only been using this one for four months or so.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have been able to resurrect a couple of my old garmin monitors that mysteriously died by taking out the battery, putting it back in upside down for a few minutes, then putting in a new battery the regular way. Supposedly the backwards battery shorts out the flux capacitor and resets the unit.

Riggedfmx

I have been able to resurrect a couple of my old garmin monitors that mysteriously died by taking out the battery, putting it back in upside down for a few minutes, then putting in a new battery the regular way. Supposedly the backwards battery shorts out the flux capacitor and resets the unit.
Wow! It seems like you need more jiggawatts Doc!

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks guys. Is it worth getting the new garmin if I'm going to have to send it back? Is the tckr any better with the sweat issues or is this a common issue with all heart rate monitors?
I gave up on the Garmin hrm causa the above issues. I sweat 1.5 Norms Per Ride. If you're below 0.9 NPR, the salt build up won't be an issue. Above, Ticklr. Zero issues after 6 months. Plus it has a blue light

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My only gripe with the Wahoo is that it doesn't connect quickly without being moistened. Since I only have it for morning HRV reading that's rather annoying. It's both Ant+ and Bluetooth which is really nice. I ended up getting it because of the Bluetooth.

For whatever reason my Motorola one (similar design to the Wahoo or new Garmin) works without any moisture immediately and has even gone through a wash cycle in the washing maching.

Old Garmin needs moisture but I usually would just wait until I started sweating if biking or moisten if running. I don't really mind that old style strap much but it definitely isn't as nice.

Top Bottom