Heads Up - Hikers

Ran into a hiker today who declared he was no longer going to give way to the bikers due to some incidents he's had. I slowed to talk with him a bit and it seems that he got run off by a group of what he estimated to be 10 riders today (some on fat bikes). Obviously, there's no way to determine perception vs. reality, but please do be mindful of others using this busy trail system. I know that in the 90s, there was quite a lot of animosity between the hikers and the bikers, but we seem to be in a decent place now.

TMONTE

Ran into a hiker today who declared he was no longer going to give way to the bikers due to some incidents he's had. I slowed to talk with him a bit and it seems that he got run off by a group of what he estimated to be 10 riders today (some on fat bikes). Obviously, there's no way to determine perception vs. reality, but please do be mindful of others using this busy trail system. I know that in the 90s, there was quite a lot of animosity between the hikers and the bikers, but we seem to be in a decent place now.

TMONTE

I ride there all the time and my theory is I try to be the nicest guy on the trails. I have heard from some hikers that people blog a lot of negativity about cyclists etc... Kill'm with kindness'

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Thanks for the reminder, it is necessary. We have to raise awareness periodically and educate new forum members that MTB access in the Tourne is conditional. Complaints to park management are taken seriously, and it has jeopardized our access before. The walkers perception of what was a reasonable speed to pass, and the manner on how it was executed, may differ greatly from a riders. Experience helps us profile the physical condition and awareness of each person we encounter. Some folks out there on the trails are not sure footed, or aware, and you don't want to be the one who caused them to stumble or fall. There will always be less than ideal encounters and those with unreasonable views. If your going to ride in this type of park, then you have to be the one who is aware, and courtesy goes a long way in helping smooth out the pass.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I rode there this weekend because I was under time constraints, and was jonesing to get out, so I went with some of my friends who are all noobs. There are ALOT of hikers in this park, too many for my taste, so I'll only ride here with the boy when we are under time constraints, and won't be traveling at a high rate of speed. Most of the hikers were cool, with the exception of the dog walkers, who gave me attitude. All consideration must go out the window as your dog trumps all everyone elses rights to be there.. None were on a leash, which is dumb given that there is a leash law, and MTB riders are sharing the same trails. And also trail runners who probably don't appreciate being chased down.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, there are generally tons of hikers and dog walkers at the Tourne. I would definitely avoid riding there on the weekend, although it's usually a bit better during the week. The dogs are almost always off leash, which I find annoying, but it's usually not a problem. I did have a dog barking pretty aggressively at me once, and the owner actually said, "Don't worry, he just wants to bite your tires."

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions