Hartshorne Trail Maintenance

rustynuts

May 14th and June 4th will both be trail maintenance days at Hartshrone. You must have taken the park system training course before coming out to volunteer.

Just wanted to pass this along.

rustynuts

A course just passed I believe in March. When I see an email about another course offering I will post it up.

Any more courses coming up @rustynuts ?

Takem from this link. https://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/page.aspx?Id=2742

Saturday, September 24 from 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
Trails Maintenance Training Workshop for New Team Members
(ages 16 & up)
Thompson Park Annex, Training Center, 53 Longbridge Road, Holmdel
Become a Team Member and help maintain over 137 miles of trails in the Monmouth County Park System. The Trails Team is instrumental in the maintenance of old trails as well as building new trails. The team meets on scheduled Saturday mornings at various park locations. All members are required to attend an initial training session prior to working.

SmooveP

So, someone has been cutting logs that are totally rideable (2 on Rocky Point), but meanwhile the overgrowth is getting overly overgrown. Priorities!

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So, someone has been cutting logs that are totally rideable (2 on Rocky Point), but meanwhile the overgrowth is getting overly overgrown. Priorities!
Yeah I noticed those as well this past weekend, the one that was cut out has(had) been there like a decade

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Hopefully not that one that's been there 3 or 4 months. Had a shortcut to the right when going down hill. That was good training.

mwlikesbikes

But they couldn't cut the one that's a jagged end that's half blocking the trail before the short loose up at the start of rocky point.
With the overgrowth taking over the trail I thought I was climbing Mont Ventoux!

SmooveP

But they couldn't cut the one that's a jagged end that's half blocking the trail before the short loose up at the start of rocky point.
With the overgrowth taking over the trail I thought I was climbing Mont Ventoux!
I suspect the log cutting is rogue action. Logs were messin' with their flow or Strava times.

AndyJ

I suspect the log cutting is rogue action. Logs were messin' with their flow or Strava times.
There was a tree down on Rocky Point two or three weeks ago near the two logs that have been cut, so I think an over-zealous ranger may have taken them out when cleaning that up. It was disappointing to see them cut, since they've been there for years. [I remember it being a Sunday when the tree was down, and the logs were intact. When I went back later in the week - I think it was Thursday - the tree had been removed, and the two logs were cut.]

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
The overgrowth on Grand Tour and Rocky Point has reached a degree that I've never seen in this park. Never mind riding a bike, there are sections that aren't properly suitable for hiking at this point.

If the section at the bottom of the power lines (leading to Hartshorne Rd.) hadn't been trimmed earlier this summer, it would be utterly impassable now.

And don't get me started on the logs. If a ranger is responsible for cutting those logs on Rocky Point and leaving them as they are, I don't know what to say.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The overgrowth on Grand Tour and Rocky Point has reached a degree that I've never seen in this park. Never mind riding a bike, there are sections that aren't properly suitable for hiking at this point.

If the section at the bottom of the power lines (leading to Hartshorne Rd.) hadn't been trimmed earlier this summer, it would be utterly impassable now.

And don't get me started on the logs. If a ranger is responsible for cutting those logs on Rocky Point and leaving them as they are, I don't know what to say.
Agreed...my arms are shredded from rocky point lower section yesterday morning. I'm glad they got to the begining of Huber by the parking lot...that was so.grown in...

AndyJ

There has been some pretty significant erosion this year as well. JORBA really could do some great things to get it in shape, but as has been said before, the parks system apparently has their own ideas...

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Just got this from the Monmouth county coordinator of volunteers, they are doing a trail maint at hartshorne for the walking path. They are meeting in the lower lot.

HARTSHORNE WOODS PARK

300 Navesink Avenue, Locust

Trail: Candlestick Trail (map attached)

Time: 9am-12noon

This trail apparently requires some tread work, but we will bring all of our tools. We are expecting a beautiful day; sunny, around 58 degrees (not so windy). Please let me know if you plan on joining us. The last two (2) sessions are October 29th and November 19th; I will keep you posted on location and details.

I look forward to seeing you on the trails!

Tracy Shiffman
Coordinator of Volunteers
Monmouth County Park System
805 Newman Springs Road
Lincroft, NJ 07738
732-842-4000, ext. 4283

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions