Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Since the top lot is closed (or so I’ve heard) is there anywhere else to park besides the lot on navesink?

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Since the top lot is closed (or so I’ve heard) is there anywhere else to park besides the lot on navesink?

You can park on the access road to the park in the marked spots- I was told by the park people. Or you can park in the high school. You can also park in the huber parking lot on locust point rd and ride over to hartshorne. It would be a nice little warm up. Or ride huber then over to hartshorne.

Karate Monkey

You might be able to park in Claypit creek.

It is open, but the connector is a literal bog at the moment. Needs a (two) boardwalk(s) in the worst way. If the hikers want to get muddy it's one thing, but do a thing like in Tatum where there is a boardwalk next to the trail.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
It is open, but the connector is a literal bog at the moment. Needs a [two] boardwalk in the worst way. If the hikers want to get muddy it's one thing, but do a thing like in Tatum where there is a boardwalk next to the trail.

I talked to the Park rangers about this at the last TM. They said it's state property so a board walk would require lots of permits. But I agree, that would be the best option. It was suggested they build up an elevated trail where it is muddy.

SmooveP

I talked to the Park rangers about this at the last TM. They said it's state property so a board walk would require lots of permits. But I agree, that would be the best option. It was suggested they build up an elevated trail where it is muddy.
I've always thought that a little grading of the trail could direct the water runoff to the natural "bog" that exists right next to that spot.

RobW

I've always thought that a little grading of the trail could direct the water runoff to the natural "bog" that exists right next to that spot.
They’ve done it close to the road. If you remember about 3 years ago they dumped tons of wood chips in the low areas

SmooveP

They’ve done it close to the road. If you remember about 3 years ago they dumped tons of wood chips in the low areas
Yep. That did help somewhat, but wood chips don't seem like a durable trail surface. I was thinking a few peeps with shovels and hoes could hack out a few drainage channels to let the water flow into the boggy area.

rmap01

Great conditions today. Love that tight line you guys laid by that big tree down on Grand Tour. Stoked to clean that rooty climb on Laurel Ridge. The leaves add to the pucker factor on the descents. Love that place.

AndyJ

Nice conditions at Hartshorne today, with just a few soft spots. Yeah, that tree left quite a crater in the trail when it toppled over. As others have said, it's really leafy. Crossed paths with somebody wearing a mtbnj jersey... not sure who it was.

thegock

4/4 frozen goodness RFN
IMG_20181124_101702-01.jpeg

AndyJ

Just a reminder that it's deer hunting season, so Hartshorne will be closed until noon on December 4, 6, 12, and 14, and January 8.

[Conditions were nice yesterday, but with the rain that started yesterday evening and the heavy leaf cover, it's going to soggy and slippery today.]

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions