Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

AndyJ

Those spots had dried out pretty well when I was there earlier this week, but have filled back up with the rain Thursday morning and overnight into Friday. Go-arounds have formed at a few of them where folks are detouring around the other side of the trees. There are also two offshoots from Many Log Run that the equestrians have formed. [Plus, I noticed that somebody pulled out two of the old water bars... not that they were effective anyway.]

Rode Hartshorne and Huber Friday evening... Hartshorne was still slightly moist in a few sections (but rideable) with a few scattered puddles in the usual spots, but was drying out quickly with the strong breeze.

Last edited:

rmap01

Trail conditions were primo this afternoon. Even the mud pit by the bridge was significantly better than it’s been in a long time.... just doesn’t look like it’ll be sustainable after a couple of storms.
4FC83CAB-2E78-4C33-8462-6CAEA65B9706.jpeg
A06D88BA-2C53-4361-9BDC-30BDD1025713.jpeg
34211B5C-32E8-43A8-96C7-85C113C250E9.jpeg

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Trail conditions were primo this afternoon. Even the mud pit by the bridge was significantly better than it’s been in a long time.... just doesn’t look like it’ll be sustainable after a couple of storms.View attachment 97623View attachment 97624View attachment 97625

Eh.... I'll wait and see how it goes. Water will take the path of least resistance. At least now the path of least resistance isn't the trail. As long as the logs don't trap water on the trail it might actually work.

That's actually a problem with logs in general. The worst spots at Huber are where the logs are. They hold water on the trail and then the horses have to put in some extra effort to get over/through which wreaks havoc.

Reactions: don

don

I’ll send MCPS a cake.View attachment 97669

haha - so true!

The pictures show a band-aid fix where stitches are required. The 2 drainage routes should be at least 3x deeper and wider. And I'm not sure why they did 2 drainage routes. Find out where the water is coming from and where it should go preferrably before it hits the trail. Remove the stone from the mud, excavate the drainage and use that material to raise the tread, then use the previous pulled stones/rocks to strengthen the side of the tread. If MCPS was more flexible with TM's, I'd fix it myself.

stilluf

Trails this am were mostly dry, though the sandy parts are trending towards loose, and eroded sections are even more so. Some of these sections could really use a re-route.
Nice work on the mud bog at rocky point; much better today.

AndyJ

Yep, rode both Hartshorne and Huber this afternoon/evening, and the trails dried out nicely from all the rain last week - just a few soft spots here and there. There's even no standing water in the "problem spots" on Many Log Run mentioned earlier, though they aren't completely dry yet.

I was skeptical that the work done at the bridge would solve the problem for the long term; however, I noticed that upstream of the bridge, a channel was dug to divert some of the water into the stream before it even reaches the trail and bridge. So, now I'm somewhat more confident that it might stay reasonably dry, or at least better than it was, as long as it's maintained and not allowed to clog.

TimBay

Pretty great this morning. A few mud spots. Top of the red switchback is crazy washed out. Looks like MCPS dumped more sand throughout the park? Treacherous.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Pretty great this morning. A few mud spots. Top of the red switchback is crazy washed out. Looks like MCPS dumped more sand throughout the park? Treacherous.

What is the read switchback? Is that the climb up to the log with the box of thoughts or whatever?

TimBay

What is the read switchback? Is that the climb up to the log with the box of thoughts or whatever?
That's the really red clay section (they dumped a bunch of sand in it). So if you do the step start, that's the tough climb with sort of a switchback at the bottom, though it's not really one anymore I guess.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions