Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I'm not surprised to hear it was greasy. I've been riding the park several times per week for a couple years now and the only time I avoid it is during a thaw. It drains really well but not when there is a layer of frozen ground below the surface preventing the thawed moisture from draining through the soil.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Was wondering about this place myself for this afternoon.

Will probably hit the road, unless we get a solid report that the ground conditions have tightened up.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Just came back, rocky point was messy going clockwise, so we turned back. The rest of the park was good. A few wet spots. We ended up riding to huber which was good.

In the end of the ride we meet some other riders that said rocky point was only bad on the side we started. Which thinking about it, that usually what happens.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I was going to ride Harts but there was literally water flowing out into the Navesink lot. I rode up Cuesta Ridge (fire road) just to see how bad it was and the fire road was a mess, super soft with lots of standing water. I decided to ride out to the end of Sandy Hook and back, instead. Guess I should have went to Huber.

Last edited:

Tim

aka sptimmy43
So does this mean it's not 7/10?

These trail conditions seem really confusing.

Apparently Huber is a 7/10. I was making reference to Hartshorne in my post above. My guess would be the guys who got out at Harts early still had mostly frozen trails. By 3:30 this afternoon they were thawed about 2" down but below that was a frozen layer making the top absolutely horrible.

I'm not sure why Huber would have been any better. Maybe it had drained off better before the freeze? Maybe the trails in Hartshorne aren't as bad as I thought and the fire road scared me away prematurely? I don't know. What I experienced was no fun to ride and was not 7/10 but I didn't ride anything other than the fire road.

RobW

Just bring your fat bikes and no trail damage :eek:
@Dave Taylor after this statement

InfiniteUnlawfulKinglet-max-1mb.gif

CrescentChris

Any thoughts on Hartshorne for tomorrow (Friday)? We had a long freeze period but I'm thinking it should be drained by tomorrow, even with the bit of rain yesterday. Anyone try to ride today?

stilluf

Rode Hartshorne Sunday am. Conditions were mostly frozen, but south facing trails were loosening up pretty quickly by the time we finished.

Also: Rocky Point section was very muddy and should be avoided for a while, at least until a solid freeze or it has time to drain.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions