Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

CrankAddictRich

Rode Harts and Tube today and would say the conditions were glorious. NO mud in sight, but there were 3, what I'd call mushy spots at the absolutely lowest sections of trail. Overall, this is the cleanest my bike has even come home from riding. What a great day. Rain is forecasted for tomorrow, so it will likely change.

I will second what people have noted about the chainsaw work... lots and lots of the log-overs have been cut. It seems like he started at the top of the Cuesta Ridge climb and dropped down grand tour, all the way to Rocky Pt., cutting everything.

SmooveP

Caught the chainsaw guy out there again today, minus the chainsaw. Today he had a shovel and a pair of hand pruners he was using to randomly cut brush that was 10 feet off the trail. Hartshorne has problems with invasive vines and overgrowth, but not in the area he was working. My buddy and I explained to him that it's it's not his place to decide which obstacles stay or go, and that he should stop immediately. He said he would, but continued to snip away with his hand pruners until he was told again to stop. Keep an eye out for him. He rides a blue low budget bike with the full Fred setup - wheel reflectors and riser bars with big goofy bar ends. Sadly, the damage is pretty much done. Every log that was remotely challenging is gone. What's next, prying rocks out of the trail?

CrankAddictRich

original.jpg

CrankAddictRich

@CrankAddictRich --Nice shot from the main Huber lot...Is there Armor All on the red bike tires? lol

hahaha.. it does look like it, right? But no, there's no Armor All. I'm not exactly sure why the tires look like that. I feel like its sealant weeping through the tire, but that would also make me think that some air would be leaking, but the tires seem to hold pressure just fine.... and generally, I know that dirt seems to stick to leaked sealant and that's not really happening either.

MMuller

Caught the chainsaw guy out there again today, minus the chainsaw. Today he had a shovel and a pair of hand pruners he was using to randomly cut brush that was 10 feet off the trail. Hartshorne has problems with invasive vines and overgrowth, but not in the area he was working. My buddy and I explained to him that it's it's not his place to decide which obstacles stay or go, and that he should stop immediately. He said he would, but continued to snip away with his hand pruners until he was told again to stop. Keep an eye out for him. He rides a blue low budget bike with the full Fred setup - wheel reflectors and riser bars with big goofy bar ends. Sadly, the damage is pretty much done. Every log that was remotely challenging is gone. What's next, prying rocks out of the trail?
Send him to Allaire. It's too damn sandy. Then to Chimney Rock. Way too many rocks. Aside from that, so sorry to hear about the damage he's done at Hartshorne. I can probably cover it all on cross bike now.

rmap01

+1. Rode there yesterday. Some sections were slightly wet but all were rideable. It's been a few months since I've ridden Hartshorne but the trails actually seemed to flow a bit better than I recall. (Maybe it was Wednesday's rain packing down the sand???) Although there were plenty of leaves on the trail there were several areas where it was clear that the chainsaw guy had been. It baffles the mind to think that someone would go to that extreme, especially to take away features. Not that the park would condone it, but it would have been a heck of a lot more understandable if he was there pruning the overgrowth in middle/late summer or trying to fill/patch the rutted sections. At least then there would be a greater purpose than just eliminating an obstacle because you can't clean it.

SmooveP

Log Cutter_1.jpg

Saw Mr. Log Cutter again today. Different bike today, a KHS 3000 fatty. Anyone know him?
Had further discussion with him. Told him I've been riding here for almost 30 years, and his response was "You've had your turn. Time to let some new guys have theirs."
Hard to argue with that kind of logic.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
View attachment 59780

Saw Mr. Log Cutter again today. Different bike today, a KHS 3000 fatty. Anyone know him?
Had further discussion with him. Told him I've been riding here for almost 30 years, and his response was "You've had your turn. Time to let some new guys have theirs."
Hard to argue with that kind of logic.
The guy looks like a douche. I'm a new guy and I liked the logs and shit. He's clearly misguided.

Edit: Maybe if he lost a few pounds maybe he could've learned to bunny hop the logs.

rmap01

View attachment 59780

...his response was "You've had your turn. Time to let some new guys have theirs."

What an A-HOLE! It's self-centered idiots like this that really piss me off. If Mr. Douchebag doesn't like obstacles he should take his fatbike to the beach at Sandy Hook.

[QUOTE="sptimmy43, post: 756321, member: 13944"Maybe if he lost a few pounds maybe he could've learned to bunny hop the logs.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more! But I really dig his kit. LOL

SmooveP

Can't he be charged, cited or some legal action by the parks dept, if not Middletown PD?
Probably. I don't want to see the guy get punished. Just want him to stop. There's obviously something a bit "off" with the guy, so not sure how far to go with the vigilante routine.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I rode Hartshorne this morning. Conditions are pretty good. If it weren't for 2 trees down on Grand Tour I would say it's as good as it gets.

Chainsaw guy must only like the main sections of Grand Tour. Rocky point was untouched as was the portion of Grand Tour above Cuestra Ridge.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions