Hands Killing in the Chatter

avc8130

My rig has a Rockshox Boxxer RC on it. Standard 780 house brand aluminum bars. Stock house brand grips. Kenda Honey Badger tires at 35psi. My hands KILL me riding through the high speed chatter at MCBP. It feels like the front doesn't absorb any of it. Compression adjuster is full "loose". Would better grips help? Could the fork need a rebuild? Am I just a *****?

Chillydog

ive had the same problems with my Boxxer RC. I have 20% Sag on the front with a red spring I`m 200 LBS wondering if i should go with a lighter spring. 32 psi in the front tire.

Dingo

I have the same sorta problem. I'm just a old worn out cross county type rider. Tire pressures effect my wrist/hands more than any thing as far as fork adjustments.

On my my 27 plus tires 9 psi seems to mellow out all the noise that causes pain. Raising tire pressure while reducing fork pressures and dampening do nothing to help me.

My wrist are beat up from yrs of abuse. Arthritis in both thumbs. That's what I get from working with air tools and turning wrenches.

so try lowering front tire pressure

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I found that running old school oury grips and Enve carbon bars made a huge difference on my DH bike.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
As said, lowering pressure will help (and it’s free!) . Switching to carbon bars and better absorbing grips would probably help also (not free!)

Ian F

I usually run tubeless around 30 psi.

Grips are a personal thing and what each person finds comfortable is not particularly relevant. I ran ODI Ruffians for years until I rode the Intense grips that came with my Primer. I quickly used my dealer contact to pull some strings and order a pile of them as I love them (they aren't the same ones on the Intense website). If I can go without gloves even better. Even riding DH (once in awhile my childhood BMX roots come out). But if conditions are really hot and the grips get sweaty I'll wear gloves.

Carbon bars should also help, but IMHO it depends on how often you crash. Unlike many normally long-lived parts on an XC bike, bars on a DH bike are somewhat considered wear items. A few good crashes on them and they should be replaced.

Honestly, the two biggest things with hand cramping is braking technique (not using them) and getting more relaxed and keeping a looser hold on the grips. Both come from experience.

It's possible the fork could use a rebuild. Depending on how much you're riding, a DH fork will usually need to be rebuilt once a year. Check the spring pressure as well. You should be using all of the travel at least once per run, if not more, although you shouldn't feel the fork bottom out harshly.

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What I noticed most over the years are lever placement. More attack position and close engagement laid off the stress. Also stay loose on the grips no death grip.

avc8130

35psi is way too much.

I kinda figured that, but I was concerned dropping would result in flats. Tubeless in the woods I run ~20f/25r on my trail bike. The DH is constantly smashed into rocks and hucked to flat onto rocks. I didn't know how low I could go. I think the bike still has tubes.

ac

avc8130

I usually run tubeless around 30 psi.

Grips are a personal thing and what each person finds comfortable is not particularly relevant. I ran ODI Ruffians for years until I rode the Intense grips that came with my Primer. I quickly used my dealer contact to pull some strings and order a pile of them as I love them (they aren't the same ones on the Intense website). If I can go without gloves even better. Even riding DH (once in awhile my childhood BMX roots come out). But if conditions are really hot and the grips get sweaty I'll wear gloves.

Carbon bars should also help, but IMHO it depends on how often you crash. Like many normally long-lived parts on an XC bike, bars on a DH bike are somewhat considered wear items. A few good crashes on them and they should be replaced.

Honestly, the two biggest things with hand cramping is braking technique (not using them) and getting more relaxed and keeping a looser hold on the grips. Both come from experience.

It's possible the fork could use a rebuild. Depending on how much you're riding, a DH fork will usually need to be rebuilt once a year. Check the spring pressure as well. You should be using all of the travel at least once per run, if not more, although you shouldn't feel the fork bottom out harshly.

I run carbon bars on my normal trail rig, made a big difference. I'd need to switch stems over to a 35mm as my DH rig has the now stone-age 31.8 bars. LOL

I'm sure you are right, the majority of my hand pain is from being a *****. I know I'm doing a lot better than the first few times I went. There are very isolated locations I have the issue and I try to consciously loosen my grip. I've played with my brake lever position, maybe I need to play a little more...like move them inboard until I can't reach them! :)

I think the spring is decent for my skill. I use all of the travel but I don't ever feel a hard bottom. The main reason I threw the rebuild out there was that the fork is old in age. The bike is from 2015, but it's getting it's first real use now.

ac

olegbabich

I'm 215 lb and run 25-27 with tubes. Remember to relax (no death grip). start with your jaw muscles and go to neck, shoulder, arm, fingers, legs and so on.

Grips and gloves play a part too. I just put on a new set of ODI Rogue and they help.

After 4-5 hrs your hands are going to be tired so nothing will help at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Ian F

I didn't like ESI grips at all. Which sucks since we had a grassroots association with them. Made my hands go numb. Oh well.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Tried the DMR’s today.... I can see the appeal for people.
73D6951D-A31A-469F-9FAF-C51F4D24A7F3.jpeg

They’re just not for me.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Has anyone tried Spank Vibrocore bars? I'd kinda like new bars anyways, thinking it might be worth giving them a shot?

https://spank-ind.com/products/spike-800-vibrocore™-bar
there is no magic component that will make your hands or arms happy . I've switched back to aluminum bars on all my bikes it just feels more precise when muscling through rock gardens at full speed and my hands and arm pump is exactly the same as with carbon bars

I have a set of their vibrocore bars can’t remember the model name just the length,777mm. They’re on my hardtail. I do think I notice a difference between them and the stock Niner bars on my other bike. My left hand which usually give me issues with tingling and a bit of pain seems to fair better after rides on the hardtail.
I only have a year and half experience mountain biking total so take this with a grain of salt. That being said I think they make a good product that lives up to its billing

Top Bottom