H2H. Jungle Roll call and recaps

Last year there was bright orange arrows painted on the ground at the split. There may have been a volunteer there, butt I can't member.
I can’t believe you missed the opportunity to make a joke about me going off course. You’re off your game Dan.

20240330_123528.jpg

That was a tough course
Went into the wood around 5 wheel. Ended 8th on the day.
Cat 2 40-54
Basically rode solo the whole time. Some really muddy spots where your rear wheel was just spinning with no traction.
More rocks than I remember.
Definitely harder than last year running this direction.
20240330_155010.jpg

Screenshot_20240330_124041_Chrome.jpg

Had one incident with a E Bike.
He called out on your left. Just as I was entering the gate after coming down otter slide. Literally bar banging me to the right.
I yelled something about a dick head move and he could have waited 2 seconds and flew by after entering the gate.

ALSO.
Course could have been marked better IMO. Too many turns connecting trails and roads. I think last year was marked 1000 times better. Easier to follow.

Looking at the registration page for Ringwood. There's a discount code for a year usac license. WHY WASN'T THIS ON THE JUNGLE REGISTRATION PAGE.

WTF.

It would be nice if the high level h2h people arranged for a code....

And by high level I mean ? Hell is there still a committee?

I bet @Stef could do it.

I’ve held it in for 2 days but still feel the need to say it….That was one of, if not the worst, marked courses i‘ve ever raced.

Having a long loop and short loop which overlap is one thing. But If you’re going to do that then you have to make it very clear to the racers where they are supposed to go. On the first Cat 1 lap, it was total confusion when endurance racers were going one way, and Cat 1 was going another. People stopped, backtracked, etc. This was 10 minutes into the race.
Then coming out of the tunnel, I had to stop and try to understand which way to go….again. That should never happen. You can’t expect someone who is over an hour into a race to try and decipher those little signs. I saw more than a few people going backwards on the course which really just made it worse.
Get some poster board and paint and make some signs. Its not that hard.

We’re lucky to have such an awesome series here. I think it gets taken for granted and that’s a shame. But it is a disservice to the rest of the series promoters to have a course like that. I’ll continue to support H2H and i might even do a RSG promoted race again, but i really hope the race organizer understands how bad that was and makes an effort to improve. Especially if they are going to charge more than the the other H2H races.

I’ve held it in for 2 days but still feel the need to say it….That was one of, if not the worst, marked courses i‘ve ever raced.

Having a long loop and short loop which overlap is one thing. But If you’re going to do that then you have to make it very clear to the racers where they are supposed to go. On the first Cat 1 lap, it was total confusion when endurance racers were going one way, and Cat 1 was going another. People stopped, backtracked, etc. This was 10 minutes into the race.
Then coming out of the tunnel, I had to stop and try to understand which way to go….again. That should never happen. You can’t expect someone who is over an hour into a race to try and decipher those little signs. I saw more than a few people going backwards on the course which really just made it worse.
Get some poster board and paint and make some signs. Its not that hard.

We’re lucky to have such an awesome series here. I think it gets taken for granted and that’s a shame. But it is a disservice to the rest of the series promoters to have a course like that. I’ll continue to support H2H and i might even do a RSG promoted race again, but i really hope the race organizer understands how bad that was and makes an effort to improve. Especially if they are going to charge more than the the other H2H races.
Sadly, I am very much in agreement. Perhaps it is because I've not done one of these before and don't know what's typical, but to me it seems like there are way less confusing ways to handle the signs for this two separate lap situation. I also thought the placement of some of the signs was just flat out misleading regardless of the separate laps.

My daughter and I each went off track at some point, but ultimately I don't think it cost either of us a position. I was miles behind the person that finished ahead of me in my group. Although she only finished 28 seconds back from first in her group, she estimates she only lost 8 seconds or so going the wrong way. She battled the winner (her friend) hard, and definitely lost more time, and her wahoo, in her 6 crashes.

Despite the difficult course markings, we still had a blast. The trails were a lot of fun, we both enjoyed the tech quite a bit. My daughter got her first taste of racing difficult trails on a race hardtail which was an experience, and I learned that the Mayhem results were not an anomaly, my daughter really is significantly faster than I am now....her time was 14m better than mine, not sure if I should be proud or embarrassed.

a BIG thank you to both the guy who pointed out where he saw her lost Wahoo on course, and the good Samaritan that grabbed it and brought it to registration so we didn't have to go out there and hunt around for it 👍

Sadly, I am very much in agreement. Perhaps it is because I've not done one of these before and don't know what's typical, but to me it seems like there are way less confusing ways to handle the signs for this two separate lap situation. I also thought the placement of some of the signs was just flat out misleading regardless of the separate laps.

My daughter and I each went off track at some point, but ultimately I don't think it cost either of us a position. I was miles behind the person that finished ahead of me in my group. Although she only finished 28 seconds back from first in her group, she estimates she only lost 8 seconds or so going the wrong way. She battled the winner (her friend) hard, and definitely lost more time, and her wahoo, in her 6 crashes.

Despite the difficult course markings, we still had a blast. The trails were a lot of fun, we both enjoyed the tech quite a bit. My daughter got her first taste of racing difficult trails on a race hardtail which was an experience, and I learned that the Mayhem results were not an anomaly, my daughter really is significantly faster than I am now....her time was 14m better than mine, not sure if I should be proud or embarrassed.

a BIG thank you to both the guy who pointed out where he saw her lost Wahoo on course, and the good Samaritan that grabbed it and brought it to registration so we didn't have to go out there and hunt around for it 👍
Saw your daughter right as she was finishing. She looked great. Awesome kid.

Back
Top Bottom