Gravel Grinder - Road Bike search.

Ian F

Mostly the D&R and D&L would be the gravel option.

I've ridden the D&R a lot on my standard road bike and it wasn't bad. The only time I really wished for a gravel bike was when it was wet and fenders would have been nice (my road bike lacks clearance). Even the cobble spillways weren't a problem - we are mtn bikers and supposed to be better than average at technical riding. ;) Nothing like seeing a guy with a fat tire hybrid bike walking across as you ride past him on you skinny tire road bike.

I bought a GT Grade a couple of years ago and tested it for about 100 miles. The fat tires are definitely nice and comfortable and the carbon frame was stiff as hell when I got up to pedal. But there are so many components I want to swap out that I don't know if I'll keep it. It's currently at a friend's house so he can test ride it. My main complaint about the frame is a lack of pannier rack mounts.

And flared bars - not for me. Another reason I stopped riding the GT was even after setting up the riding position to duplicate my road bike, the strange angle of the levers would make my hands go numb after about an hour of riding time. Or I'm just really used to the smaller lever hoods of my vintage Ergopower shifters. Since I want a Campy drive train, my next road bike will likely be custom.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I've ridden the D&R a lot on my standard road bike and it wasn't bad.
Want to echo this again, 30mm tires is more than enough for the canal path. You don't need a bike that can handle 40mm tires if that is what you plan to do with it.
Unless you just wanna flex

Johnny Utah

I've ridden the D&R a lot on my standard road bike and it wasn't bad. The only time I really wished for a gravel bike was when it was wet and fenders would have been nice (my road bike lacks clearance). Even the cobble spillways weren't a problem - we are mtn bikers and supposed to be better than average at technical riding. ;) Nothing like seeing a guy with a fat tire hybrid bike walking across as you ride past him on you skinny tire road bike.

I bought a GT Grade a couple of years ago and tested it for about 100 miles. The fat tires are definitely nice and comfortable and the carbon frame was stiff as hell when I got up to pedal. But there are so many components I want to swap out that I don't know if I'll keep it. It's currently at a friend's house so he can test ride it. My main complaint about the frame is a lack of pannier rack mounts.

And flared bars - not for me. Another reason I stopped riding the GT was even after setting up the riding position to duplicate my road bike, the strange angle of the levers would make my hands go numb after about an hour of riding time. Or I'm just really used to the smaller lever hoods of my vintage Ergopower shifters. Since I want a Campy drive train, my next road bike will likely be custom.
This is good to know. I can get a closeout salsa colossal for a grand, but it is limited to a 28 or 30c tire. If I can get out at the price point I would!

rick81721

Lothar

I did that last month and agree but that one cobble spillway on 25mm tires @100 psi, I thought I rattled a few brain cells loose.

Sven Migot

I've spent time on a Diverge during the Gap/C&O trip and it's an impressive bike. I ran 38s on it and they were able to handle everything I found. Commuted back and forth to work with it and it was faster on the road than my All-City.
I second & third the Diverge. It took quite a beating on the GAP/C&O trip (351 miles in 4 days) & on the gravel roads of Bedminster. Fast & comfy too.
1547215635665.png

1547215767687.png

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I did that last month and agree but that one cobble spillway on 25mm tires @100 psi, I thought I rattled a few brain cells loose.
This falls into the, "Are you going to prepare your bike for 1% of your ride?" thought. That's line saying you need a quad cab dually truck because you hauled a mattress one time. Sure that 1% was better with a mountain bike sized tire, but for the other 99% of the ride, it would suck.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.

We swap out the flared bars on almost every gravel bike we've ever sold. I'm not sure who they're aimed for but 100% of the people that ride flared bars complain about numb hands.

trener1

Was it mentioned earlier in the thread? the Norco Search I supposed to be a pretty sweet ride.

rick81721

Lothar
This falls into the, "Are you going to prepare your bike for 1% of your ride?" thought. That's line saying you need a quad cab dually truck because you hauled a mattress one time. Sure that 1% was better with a mountain bike sized tire, but for the other 99% of the ride, it would suck.

Fully agree - I rode the towpath on the road bike purely on a whim. I'd take out ol' niterider if I was doing primarily a gravel ride

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
Built up a Surly Straggler last winter and absolutely love it. The bike sees plenty of gravel, chunky double track, single track and road... it sparked my love for cycling back up thanks to the kind of riding it inspires.

Lots of responses here but ultimately its up to you and the kind of riding you want to do i guess but most importantly it has to look cool AF
IMG_20180708_114556_672.jpg
20190111_105247.jpg

Mr. E Man

I’ll be pulling the trigger soon purchasing a road bike... but do y’all suggest getting a power meter or it’s not worth the extra $$$ ??

CrankAddictRich

I’ll be pulling the trigger soon purchasing a road bike... but do y’all suggest getting a power meter or it’s not worth the extra $$$ ??

Do you plan on using the power meter to train... to learn what the numbers mean and how to use them? simply having a power meter won't help you at all. if you do plan on learning how to use it, then yes, it is worth it for sure.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's

as stated above it depends on what you want, if you are planning to race and use it as a training tool its worth every penny, if you are just riding for fun and fitness and dont have a specific training plan then probably not worth it.

Also while its not as reactive (i guess??) you can train with heart rate instead of power up to a certain point.

Mr. E Man

as stated above it depends on what you want, if you are planning to race and use it as a training tool its worth every penny, if you are just riding for fun and fitness and dont have a specific training plan then probably not worth it.

Also while its not as reactive (i guess??) you can train with heart rate instead of power up to a certain point.
Do you plan on using the power meter to train... to learn what the numbers mean and how to use them? simply having a power meter won't help you at all. if you do plan on learning how to use it, then yes, it is worth it for sure.

I’d like to get into The grand fondos etc.. but I’m more doing it for myself for each race I want to beat my time.

Top Bottom