gore ride on cables

VanDbtRiver

Thinking about doing these up before fair hill. Anyone have experience with them? How many months or seasons can you get on them before the friction sets in.

Thinking about doing these up before fair hill. Anyone have experience with them? How many months or seasons can you get on them before the friction sets in.

They should last 2wice as long.

They are the shit.

Really.

j

They were good when I used them about 8-10 years ago. I heard they were bringing them back. Bikes with proper mountain bike cabling (ie full length cables) do not need them.

They were good when I used them about 8-10 years ago. I heard they were bringing them back. Bikes with proper mountain bike cabling (ie full length cables) do not need them.

I have to disagree.

There is way less drag with the new gore cables vs. the old version.

The inner cable runs in a sheath that is continuous from end to end. By running interrupted housing you will see less housing compression.

Try it.

http://www.rideoncables.com/en_us/support/support_slfsder.html

The old Gore cables were fine for me and I know how they work but full length housing works well for longevity and its a lot cheaper (I am talking in practice not theory here about longevity and friction - I have had to change cable sets less often on bikes with full-length). More brands have been switching and/or offering more models with full length cable routing. I heard mixed things about Nokon style cables but never tried those.

edit - I am not saying I don't like gore cables or that they don't work well I'm just saying its diminishing returns compared to cheaper quality full length housing setups. Gore has their membrane liner that keeps the moisture and other crap out of the system which is a huge worthwhile help in standard cabling routing.

Last edited:
Had full length cables on my old bike and while better than standard, it doesn't hold a candle to Gore Ride-on cables. Soooo smooth and well worth the price.

Ride-On cables will still shift even when your bike looks like this!!

n1291834825_172936_6665.jpg

-Jim.

I have 2 bikes and only 1 has the Gore cables. That makes me sad. I need the gore on both.

If you ever ride in the mud (which i never do ;)) you will never worry about getting gunk in your cables and having the shifting getting off a bit. Whats more frustrating then that?

In all seriousness, they indeed the shit. You will not be disappointed.

Last edited:
But if you don't ride in slop, which I try very hard not to, is it worth the money?

But if you don't ride in slop, which I try very hard not to, is it worth the money?

i had them on my rush but when I built up my ewr I didn't use gore cables. YOu have to consider you can buy a bunch of good cables and housing for the same price but the gore cables are smooth and no doubt work in all conditions. For a cross bike, yes, for mtb, probably, for road, no way.

for mtb, probably, for road, no way.

It may sound odd, but my road bike cables get more abuse than my mtb cables. When it's wet and rainy, I ride the road. My cables were actually rusted at one point not too long ago on my road bilke.

Kev you can use them on the road for sure...As a matter of fact they come with the SRAM Red shifters...They are different then the mtb version

Yo VdbtR, When have I ever lied to you??? Just put em on and thank yourself later...:D

It may sound odd, but my road bike cables get more abuse than my mtb cables. When it's wet and rainy, I ride the road. My cables were actually rusted at one point not too long ago on my road bilke.

good point, maybe with all the salt and crap we ride in during the winter, it might be worth it :hmmm:

Kev you can use them on the road for sure...As a matter of fact they come with the SRAM Red shifters...They are different then the mtb version

I know you can use them, just wondering if it is worth it....

IMO, the Gore stuff is way over-priced. I used them in the past and currently have just one Gore cable in use.

They are the Bees-Knees for a while. Eventually debris will creep up the cable and get into the inner plastic shield. Then...well...they are just like any other cable.

Any Teflon coated cable is adequate. The high-end Shimano cables are a good benchmark. The Gore stuff may last twice as long. OTOH, it is 4-5 times the price. Do the math. :hmmm:

Agree here Norm, my cables on my road bike were a complete mess, rusted and salted. Then I got smart and now ride my cross bike when it gets nasty.

good point, maybe with all the salt and crap we ride in during the winter, it might be worth it :hmmm:
I know you can use them, just wondering if it is worth it....

Well worth the money Kev. This past cross season they proved their worth.

Back
Top Bottom