GoPro Mounts

Mildly Wild

Got a new go Pro for my birthday (yay!!). Trying to decide on mount. I am leaning towards the "chesty" chest mount because I generally don't like the view resulting from the top helmet mount, and also don't want camera (and my head maybe) to get knocked off by low branch. Thoughts on this anyone?
Thanks.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Chest is the way to go for most of the video, but cut in some other shots - from the fork, seat post backwards, head...
also a tripod adapter and the one that wraps around small trees.

ilnadi

helmet mount works really good for capturing other people (e.g. kids)
chest mount seems to five a much better view/feel.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i use a helmet mount, mostly bc im too lazy/cheap to go buy a chest mount, plus most of my video is in car video at driving events, so any attached camera is a helmet mount (or stick it to the roof)

rick81721

Lothar
i use a helmet mount, mostly bc im too lazy/cheap to go buy a chest mount, plus most of my video is in car video at driving events, so any attached camera is a helmet mount (or stick it to the roof)

This the alleged gopro you always "forget" to bring?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I’ve been playing with my son’s GoPro, trying different locations. I had a few video fails. Hopefully you can benefit from my mistakes. First one was when I had the camera pointed too low on my helmet. Make sure the lens is focused 10-20' in front of your bike. As someone else pointed out, this is a good spot for capturing other riders. Not so much for your own riding experience. Also, watch out for low branches. A few times I had to duck a little lower than was comfortable.

Next I put the GoPro on a handlebar mount. It sorta captured my riding experience but not really. This view was bumpier than on my helmet, especially on rockier trails - even with advanced stabilization. Again, make sure the lens is directed at least 10' ahead.

The chest mount is the best. BUT makes sure you have the correct mounting adapter. I learned the hard that you can't just mount a GoPro to the chest buckle. I mean you can but the camera will point at your stem. You need a J mount (see below) or extender so that you can position the camera correctly. Also, make sure if you're wearing a back pack that the chest strap isn't loose and dangling or banging up against the GoPro's lens, ruining hours of otherwise quality video. (Ask me how I know. :()

Lastly, you're probably going to use the Super Suit so make sure you have the false window backing. This will give you quick access to the touch screen without having to take it out of the case. Comes in handy for when you want to quickly review video to make sure you got "the shot." The last thing you want is to get back to the car only to find out you took video of your front tire. (Ask me how I know. :confused:)

Enjoy and do share!

shopping

Last edited:

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tripod bendy arm thingy gets the most realistic shots for me . Chest mount is ok once you get the correct angle but even riding some big features / lines at creek when watching footage looks like riding normal single track

Mildly Wild

The chest mount is the best. BUT makes sure you have the correct mounting adapter. I learned the hard that you can't just mount a GoPro to the chest buckle. I mean you can but the camera will point at your stem. You need a J mount (see below) or extender so that you can position the camera correctly. [[/IMG]

Thanks everyone for your feedback. @A.S: as per above, the J mount (?) I did not see anything below to further describe this. Can you elaborate?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Thanks everyone for your feedback. @A.S: as per above, the J mount (?) I did not see anything below to further describe this. Can you elaborate?
I used the J mount that was in my sons accessory kit to achieve the proper camera angle. Google “GoPro J Mount”. Check out this video. He suggests using extenders, which allow for even better camera angle adjustment.

Top Bottom