Good trails for getting a beginner up to speed

Oz Von Toco

I started mountain biking last year and now have two friends who are getting into it as well. They are not super enthusiastic about doing a lot of climbing! But have enjoyed the flow sections quite a bit

I've taken them to 6 mile run which they liked a lot and lew morris which they liked, but didn't love the climbing

I figure cheesequake, allaire, and huber/hartshorne will be good options as well.

However I'd like to try some trails new to me. It looks like

1) Nassau trails
2) Rutgers ecological preserve
3) kittatiny
4) clayton
5) Wharton state forest

May be good options for beginners as well. Any insight on how these trails are or other good trails for bringing beginners a long may be? For what it's worth we are all located in union county and closer is generally better! Thanks for any advice!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
mercer for sure - easy ride down there when it isn't rush hour.
an allaire tuesday night ride would get you all with some riders that would be willing to help with riding and directions to best stuff
nassau is fun - there is some elevation changes, but not like climbing lewis-morris
the lower part of the tourne ?? not very long ride tho

qclabrat

as the former prince of the beginner rides, I approve of Nassau (when ready) and Clayton (a bit short tho). Rutgers is good, but not well maintained.
Haven't tried Wharton or Kittatiny, and depends where you are located. Clayton IMO wasn't worth the drive down. LewMo really isn't bad, find the right loops and avoid the surprise climbs.

Oz Von Toco

I agree Lewis Morris isn't bad, but it's certainly more fun for me when I don't need to wait 5 mins after 3 mins of climbing haha. What do you mean "when ready" for Nassau

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I agree Lewis Morris isn't bad, but it's certainly more fun for me when I don't need to wait 5 mins after 3 mins of climbing haha. What do you mean "when ready" for Nassau
Nassau is closed, cause a bunch of asshats rode in muddy conditions over the winter and destroyed it. All the down trees from the storms didn't help, but I think the mud is what forced the closure. (Note - Don't ride mud :rolleyes:).

Skip Hartshorne with beginners who don't want to climb at all..

Tim

aka sptimmy43
As was mentioned, Hartshorne has a good bit of climbing. Huber could be good if you are simply looking for variety.

MikeyBikey2000

Cheesequake, while short, isn't very beginner friendly... lots of punchy climbs.

Mercer or Wharton would be perfect if looking for elevation avoidance. Clayton involves climbs as does Huber. Allaire has some climbs if you look for them. Hartshorne will be hike a bike for beginners.

goldsbar

Sounds like you're focused on Central/South Jersey. If you're willing to travel, *parts* of Stephens State Park are really beginner friendly and tons of fun for anyone. Specifically, the Pink trail - which you can park by - and some around it. Nothing wrong with doing laps there for 1 - 1.5 hours, which is plenty for a beginner. Don't stray too far as other parts of the park have some brutal climbs.

In reality, they're going to have to learn to deal - and like - the climbing at some point or they're not going to last long in this sport. Outside of the climbing, Lewis Morris is as beginner friendly as it gets. If they're complaining about that place...

Oz Von Toco

If you want to travel a bit, Lake Nockamixon and Pennypack in PA are fairly beginner friendly as well as White Clay in DE.

I went to UDEL for 4 years and was in white clay many times but didn't mountain bike back then! Definitely on my list if go for a homecoming/alumni weekend

Oz Von Toco

Also I don't think I was super clear

I've been to allaire, Huber/Hartshorne, cheesequake, etc. several times each, I was stating those more as my reference point for what I thought were pretty reasonable places. The 5 I listed (Nassau, Wharton, clayton, kittatiny, Rutgers eco) were places I was wondering about! But either way this thread has been very helpful and I appreciate all the Input, Sounds like Mercer should be the goal for our group ride and then maybe Nassau trails when they reopen.

Ive heard stephens is easy but I tried going there last year and I got lost for 5 hours, found some huge climbs and descents, phone diet, and wherever I popped out apparently wasn't even allamuchy anymore - was pretty fun though!

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
there's a meetup ride at lewis morris tonight if you want to check it out... 6 pm... sunrise lake parking lot. no drop. all riders welcomed. yes it's a little hilly, but not techy...

Ian F

I went to UDEL for 4 years and was in white clay many times but didn't mountain bike back then! Definitely on my list if go for a homecoming/alumni weekend

It's had a remake over the past few years. Heavy IMBA influence on trail design, which can be both good and bad. Felt a lot like riding at Raystown Lake.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I started mountain biking last year and now have two friends who are getting into it as well. They are not super enthusiastic about doing a lot of climbing! But have enjoyed the flow sections quite a bit

I've taken them to 6 mile run which they liked a lot and lew morris which they liked, but didn't love the climbing

I figure cheesequake, allaire, and huber/hartshorne will be good options as well.

However I'd like to try some trails new to me. It looks like

1) Nassau trails
2) Rutgers ecological preserve
3) kittatiny
4) clayton
5) Wharton state forest

May be good options for beginners as well. Any insight on how these trails are or other good trails for bringing beginners a long may be? For what it's worth we are all located in union county and closer is generally better! Thanks for any advice!
Dude,
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but every Tuesday night starting at 6 PM ( depending on the weather ) we do a beginner ride at Allaire some of the flow stuff is included.
Come on down for the fun look for the black wrangler with the JORBA sticker on it.
I ride a lot in the AM's as well if you see the jeep say hey.

Wharton is a fun flat loop in the pines Kirk and company do a good job on the trails,
Also check out Mercer county park there is a good loop there with fun stuff this one is in he area of Clayton.

Mike C...

qclabrat

Also I don't think I was super clear

I've been to allaire, Huber/Hartshorne, cheesequake, etc. several times each, I was stating those more as my reference point for what I thought were pretty reasonable places. The 5 I listed (Nassau, Wharton, clayton, kittatiny, Rutgers eco) were places I was wondering about! But either way this thread has been very helpful and I appreciate all the Input, Sounds like Mercer should be the goal for our group ride and then maybe Nassau trails when they reopen.

Ive heard stephens is easy but I tried going there last year and I got lost for 5 hours, found some huge climbs and descents, phone diet, and wherever I popped out apparently wasn't even allamuchy anymore - was pretty fun though!
You can also add some mileage to your rides by parking in Bound Brook and depending on direction on the Canal path end up at either Rutgers or 6mr. I do that with some non-biking friends just to chat for a few hours.

Top Bottom