Good quality chain lube that doesn’t cling?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
What’s the go to chain lube. Finish line sucks, Park Sucks Rock Lightning sucks. I try to be meticulous with my bikes but even doing a light application and wiping it off completely my chain rings end up with collective grunge. This means sand, dirt and all the crunchies.

White lighting user here, at least 15 yrs never a problem with too much grunge. The grunge is only on the outer plates, not on the rollers.

I have to order on-line because the shops around here look at me like I have 3 eyes when ASKING FOR IT.

Drivetrain holds up great too. Well except for the 11 speed shimano chain that came stock on the new bike. 2000 miles and it was beyond worn out.

go ahead blast away............

Boeshield T9

For a waxy, protective film, this actually works fairly well as a lubricant, too. You have to re-lube more frequently, but you can also buy it by the gallon/quart/pint from woodworker/machinist supply houses (it's used to dress cast iron tables).

This is not a personal endorsement (other than I've used it), just added information.

White lighting user here, at least 15 yrs never a problem with too much grunge. The grunge is only on the outer plates, not on the rollers.

I have to order on-line because the shops around here look at me like I have 3 eyes when ASKING FOR IT.

Drivetrain holds up great too. Well except for the 11 speed shimano chain that came stock on the new bike. 2000 miles and it was beyond worn out.

go ahead blast away............
Bought at Wal-Mart
20180413_203052.jpg

T9 has insane anti corrosion ability, it just isn’t durable, if it gets wet it is done. I would say 150-200 on the road. Very clean. FWIW, it will keep all steel stuff from rusting, including frames. One of the few oils that actually penetrates the metal.

NixFrixShun is good like @jShort said and last say 500 on the road in all conditions, however I didn’t use it in the winter because it’s anti corrosion ability isn’t great. The guy who makes it gave a thumbs up to T9 when I talked to him at the philly bike show but mentioned its durability. Relatively clean but will get gummed up.

I've also become a T9 fan since jdog sold me some a few years ago. You do have to apply it fairly often - at least every-other ride - and it seems to only work on a dry chain that hasn't been lubed with something else already.

I've also become a T9 fan since jdog sold me some a few years ago. You do have to apply it fairly often - at least every-other ride - and it seems to only work on a dry chain that hasn't been lubed with something else already.
A dry chain. I'm pretty sure that why is the new chain that came with with my bike was toasted so quickly. It still had shimano assembly goo on it. What a friggin magnet for crap.

I always clean the chain of the factory grease before install. And then apply the lube of choice. I asked the shop to clean it before assembly. It was a new chain in shimano package. "nope sorry we don't do that".

A dry chain. I'm pretty sure that why is the new chain that came with with my bike was toasted so quickly. It still had shimano assembly goo on it. What a friggin magnet for crap.

I always clean the chain of the factory grease before install. And then apply the lube of choice. I asked the shop to clean it before assembly. It was a new chain in shimano package. "nope sorry we don't do that".
Shimano new chain oil used to be awesome but at some point they switched to that Sri k crap.

Does anything really work when it's super dusty and dry? Meaning, it will do it's job and not attract dirt? If you're obsessive about a clean chain, I think sometimes you need to give it a quick wipe with a towel and degreaser after each ride. Otherwise it's gonna build up.
Btw, I am not that type. I let my shit get a little dirty before cleaning. At Hop Brook between my creaky ass bike and my squeaky chain, I was about to lose my mind. First race of the year slacking and all...

I understand chain wax is supposed to be fairly dust resistant. It's a bit on the tedious side to apply, tho.

Which one? White Lightning has a few different formulas with different properties. I tried the "Clean Ride" variety for a while, and it did what it said... the chain did stay very clean. However, being a wax, it wasn't very durable, needing to be frequently reapplied (seriously, I'd sometimes only get 50 miles or so out of an application). It also was difficult to apply in cold weather, since it would solidify as soon as it came out of the bottle. Right now, I'm actually using a bottle of 3-in-1 PTFE lubricant that I picked up at Lowe's until I can find something better. It does a good job of lubricating, but does pick up some dirt/dust.

Which one? White Lightning has a few different formulas with different properties. I tried the "Clean Ride" variety for a while, and it did what it said... the chain did stay very clean. However, being a wax, it wasn't very durable, needing to be frequently reapplied (seriously, I'd sometimes only get 50 miles or so out of an application). It also was difficult to apply in cold weather, since it would solidify as soon as it came out of the bottle. Right now, I'm actually using a bottle of 3-in-1 PTFE lubricant that I picked up at Lowe's until I can find something better. It does a good job of lubricating, but does pick up some dirt/dust.
I use the clean ride. Apply before every ride, takes 15 seconds, just part of the pre ride check that includes tire pressure check or fill.
Do riders really complain about such simple things to do pre ride? Oh wait they do. The guys in the parking lot while everyone stands around waiting.

I use the clean ride. Apply before every ride, takes 15 seconds, just part of the pre ride check that includes tire pressure check or fill.
Do riders really complain about such simple things to do pre ride? Oh wait they do. The guys in the parking lot while everyone stands around waiting.
Applying right before a ride is asking for a crapped up chain. And every ride?

Does anything really work when it's super dusty and dry? Meaning, it will do it's job and not attract dirt? If you're obsessive about a clean chain, I think sometimes you need to give it a quick wipe with a towel and degreaser after each ride. Otherwise it's gonna build up.
Btw, I am not that type. I let my shit get a little dirty before cleaning. At Hop Brook between my creaky ass bike and my squeaky chain, I was about to lose my mind. First race of the year slacking and all...
The NFS guy said to vigorously wipe after every ride.

Back
Top Bottom