Going to MCBP in a few weeks, should I be scared?

qclabrat

should wire beads not be discounted for their weight penalty?
Or should only look for DH folding models?

Boris Shady

Headed to MCBP for first time on Sunday. I normally ride spd's on my XC bike. I'm renting one of their DH bikes for the day. What are peoples thoughts on pedals? Should I bring my spd's or go flat for the day? I'm leaning towards staying clipped in and sticking to what I'm comfortable with.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Headed to MCBP for first time on Sunday. I normally ride spd's on my XC bike. I'm renting one of their DH bikes for the day. What are peoples thoughts on pedals? Should I bring my spd's or go flat for the day? I'm leaning towards staying clipped in and sticking to what I'm comfortable with.
On this note.... If I were to rent a bike, with flats, WTF kinda shoes should I wear? I have running shoes or light weight hiking boots..

Ian F

On this note.... If I were to rent a bike, with flats, WTF kinda shoes should I wear? I have running shoes or light weight hiking boots..

Wear the hiking boots. Especially if you aren't used to riding with flats. It's not uncommon to slip a pedal and slam your foot into one of the many rocks on the Mtn Creek trails. I can tell you from experience - that'll leave a mark. Boots will protect your toes better than running shoes will.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wear the hiking boots. Especially if you aren't used to riding with flats. It's not uncommon to slip a pedal and slam your foot into one of the many rocks on the Mtn Creek trails. I can tell you from experience - that'll leave a mark. Boots will protect your toes better than running shoes will.
that's what I figured, and SPD's are a bad idear, right?

Ian F

That's a personal decision. Flats offer some benefits - easy to start and dab if needed. But if you aren't used to riding them, flats can bite you as we tend to develop habits with SPD's you may not have realized. My advice would be to bring both - start out on flats and if you find that keeping your feet on the pedals becomes a problem, take the pedals to the shop and have them swap them (or do it at your car).

Ian F

Oh... if you aren't used to riding flats (or haven't in awhile), consider wearing a cup if you have one.

Boris Shady

That's a personal decision. Flats offer some benefits - easy to start and dab if needed. But if you aren't used to riding them, flats can bite you as we tend to develop habits with SPD's you may not have realized. My advice would be to bring both - start out on flats and if you find that keeping your feet on the pedals becomes a problem, take the pedals to the shop and have them swap them (or do it at your car).

I'm leaning towards starting with the spd's on Sunday. I ride flats on the fatbike thru the winter and am deff aware of my bad habits.

Any begginer downhill advice for a first timer doing lift service. I plan on starting on the green and seeing how far I can progress throughout the day.

Ian F

At a place like Mtn Creek, the most important advice I can give is to take your time and don't underestimate how tired DH riding can make you. When you're tired you get sloppy and make mistakes. Mistakes at Mtn Creek can hurt. A lot. It's easy to get lulled into the idea of "I've got to get runs in before the lift closes" but the up-lift speed of the gondola makes so chances are you'll run out of energy long before you run out of lift time.

If you find yourself at the bottom thinking, "I'm getting tired... one more run" - don't. Take a break. Get a beer or water. Re-evaluate again in a few minutes. IMHO, it's better to leave time on the ticket and live to ride another day.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
If you find yourself at the bottom thinking, "I'm getting tired... one more run" - don't. Take a break. Get a beer or water. Re-evaluate again in a few minutes. IMHO, it's better to leave time on the ticket and live to ride another day.

Like down hill skiing, leave the "last run" on the hill.

Boris Shady

Like down hill skiing, leave the "last run" on the hill.

Good advice...will most deff grab a beer and take some breaks...never take a "last run" instead go back to the top, ride down, and see how ya feel

oobaa47

I'd start off with the flats.....and like what was said, you could always swap out during the day as you get more comfortable.....

Definitely hiking boots....ankle protection is vital as well....

They've made Creek extremely beginner friendly....green and blues from the top to the bottom....and they even converted some of the single black diamonds to blues as well.....you'll have a blast, just start off slow and work your way up....

I'll be there Sunday morning, pm me and I'll be more than happy to show you around...

qclabrat

when does MCBP usually close for the season? Hoping to get in a few weekends before they switch over to snow season.

Top Bottom