Going to MCBP in a few weeks, should I be scared?

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tried to ride all the stages for this weekends race but those transfers served a big ol slice of humble pie
20180628_152849.jpg

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good luck...I just spent 2 hours trying to prevent my calipers from rubbing against the rotor, still don't know what's wrong......at least my wheel rotates somewhat now.....enough to bang out some laps tomorrow....anyone else hitting Creek tomorrow morning?
A couple of laps in that heat and you won’t have any brake pads left to rub anyways!

Ian F

Honestly, I still say Blue Mtn in PA is a better venue to wet your appetite for lift riding. The tails are just more forgiving. More like XC descents on steroids. Not that I don't like riding at Mtn Creek, but I've been riding there for nearly 20 years, so I have an idea of what I'm in for when I go there. Riding at Blue is just more relaxing.

Chillydog

Front tire washed out? U ok?
concussion, Grade 4 separated shoulder needs surgical repair bruised hip and cuts everywhere. Biggest problem is that the DR said that`s it for the season for me. glad that im still able to walk thats the good news

qclabrat

concussion, Grade 4 separated shoulder needs surgical repair bruised hip and cuts everywhere. Biggest problem is that the DR said that`s it for the season for me. glad that im still able to walk thats the good news
jeez, heal up bro
I liked the post cause your buddy just seemed to be heckling you to get up. Are you trying to spook me some more?

qclabrat

In reference to the other thread on sore hands, what tire pressure should I be running at Creek. I'm using HR2s tubeless. Finally got the Rallon out for a ride and it was meh on most trails till it was pointed downward. The frame was supposed to run super long from all my research so I got a small instead of the medium I'm usually on. Had to switch to a 80mm stem and still sitting too far back when stretched out. Should a DH/Enduro rig fit smaller than a regular XC fit? Need a little more work with the fork/shock and flip the chip to slacken, but think I'm ready for next week with @Juggernaut. Not scared anymore...

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
In reference to the other thread on sore hands, what tire pressure should I be running at Creek. I'm using HR2s tubeless. Finally got the Rallon out for a ride and it was meh on most trails till it was pointed downward. The frame was supposed to run super long from all my research so I got a small instead of the medium I'm usually on. Had to switch to a 80mm stem and still sitting too far back when stretched out. Should a DH/Enduro rig fit smaller than a regular XC fit? Need a little more work with the fork/shock and flip the chip to slacken, but think I'm ready for next week with @Juggernaut. Not scared anymore...

I’ll let the experts weigh in on the size and pressure issue. I wouldn’t worry too much about the seat position, you will be standing pretty much the whole time.

Don’t believe me? Check out Ergon’s own words about their DH saddle.
A4E0D31E-F32D-44C6-876B-AE1E766FB404.png

Ian F

All kidding aside - yes. You can get just as tired riding DH as you do riding XC. It just tends to be a different kind of tired as you generally use different muscle groups.

oobaa47

I think tire pressure is largely relative to your weight. For reference, I run minion dhf's in the front and either hr or dhr in the rear; tubeless with both; 29 psi up front and 31 psi in the rear and I weigh 225......I know guys that run in the low 20's psi but they weigh 155-165.…foam inserts also play a role, you can run lower pressure with foam inserts......as far as frame size, imo, longer wheelbase the better as it provides increased stability, obviously contingent upon your height.....for reference, my large xc/trail bike has a wheelbase of 1150 mm, my large dh rig has a wheelbase of 1257 mm, a difference of over 4 inches, which is pretty significant.....

qclabrat

I think tire pressure is largely relative to your weight. For reference, I run minion dhf's in the front and either hr or dhr in the rear; tubeless with both; 29 psi up front and 31 psi in the rear and I weigh 225......I know guys that run in the low 20's psi but they weigh 155-165.…foam inserts also play a role, you can run lower pressure with foam inserts......as far as frame size, imo, longer wheelbase the better as it provides increased stability, obviously contingent upon your height.....for reference, my large xc/trail bike has a wheelbase of 1150 mm, my large dh rig has a wheelbase of 1257 mm, a difference of over 4 inches, which is pretty significant.....
I'm 160 with my underwear on, was running 28 rear and 25 front today and it felt very stiff. Considerably higher than when at the XC trails, when I'm in the high teens. It may very well be my fork settings as well, but l didn't want to make any changes today. But will play with fork and shock first before fiddling with the tires. Will probably also pull the seat back 10mm for my next ride tomorrow

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm 160 with my underwear on, was running 28 rear and 25 front today and it felt very stiff. Considerably higher than when at the XC trails, when I'm in the high teens. It may very well be my fork settings as well, but l didn't want to make any changes today. But will play with fork and shock first before fiddling with the tires. Will probably also pull the seat back 10mm for my next ride tomorrow
From my experience this season...I would run higher pressure than normal. I weigh about 155 and tried riding creek at my normal "trail" pressure..... somewhere around 20psi, and punctured front tire first trip, punctured back tire the next trip. You can get away with lower pressure on all the man made berms and whatnot, but as soon as you get into the rocks at high speed you will feel them pounding straight through the tires to the rim. I've learned the hard way.

Last edited:

Ian F

Tire pressure is also dependent on tires. A heavier DH casing tire can get away with lower pressure. Lower pressures on lighter trail tires can get squirmy. I was running in the low 20's in the back tire yesterday for a XC ride on lighter XC tires and nearly pealed the rear tire off the rim a couple of times.

Top Bottom