GLOBAL FAT BIKE DAY

sandman

Dec. 3, 2016; BTB office, 9am start, 37/40k. It's the pinelands, it's multi use trails, some hunting maybe going on, Orange is the color of choice. We ride together, not a race.
Any one else going out? Weather looks good, so far.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Hey Bros. Let's do a big central ride and get everyone to show up!! Last year it depressing going through pictures of other state with hundreds of participants while we had like 200 groups of 3.
Didn't you ride solo at allaire? I'm in, let's do something.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
We had 6 fatties, 2 skinnies and a Plus on this year's 4 X 50. 4 abandoned rail lines in a 50 mile loop.

https://www.relive.cc/view/792668198

1203160853_zps7dghwuwh.jpg

1203160947a_zps2ndz9ism.jpg

1203160853_zps7dghwuwh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

huffster

@icebiker
Impressive ride! Do you have a GPS of that route? I doubt I would do all 50, but I'd like to study your route and consider a truncated version.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
The large balast, deep water and black slimy mud makes that Lackawana Cutoff portion the hardest.
There was one flat and we averaged only 5mph on that section.

Attachments

• 4_Grades_Ride.gpx
    358.8 KB · Views: 261

huffster

@trailhead
@icebiker

No rush on response to this, because it could be months before I really "need" to know.

I'm thinking of truncating a couple areas which may cut off ~10 miles and would still make this a big ride...for me. I would probably eliminate the 2-3 miles at the beginning and end by starting/ending somewhere along the Sussex Branch trail (maybe by KVSP). I can also cut some off up north, by sticking with the Paulinskill VRT in the area of Halsey Rd. vs. taking the Great Valley Rail Trail up to the Sussex Branch Trail.

I was looking at the GPX and also considering your comment above regarding the Lackawanna Cutoff. Do you feel that going clockwise was best? I.e. get the tougher/slower Lackawanna Cutoff out of the way vs. ending on the hardest section?

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
@trailhead
@icebiker

No rush on response to this, because it could be months before I really "need" to know.

I'm thinking of truncating a couple areas which may cut off ~10 miles and would still make this a big ride...for me. I would probably eliminate the 2-3 miles at the beginning and end by starting/ending somewhere along the Sussex Branch trail (maybe by KVSP). I can also cut some off up north, by sticking with the Paulinskill VRT in the area of Halsey Rd. vs. taking the Great Valley Rail Trail up to the Sussex Branch Trail.

I was looking at the GPX and also considering your comment above regarding the Lackawanna Cutoff. Do you feel that going clockwise was best? I.e. get the tougher/slower Lackawanna Cutoff out of the way vs. ending on the hardest section?
Yep, you could save about 8 to 10 miles met if you did what you suggested and skip the Lehigh New England leg...but you'd also miss the spooky wonder of the Roseville Tunnel...try to ride that section at least once before NJ transit returns it to service. We find the clockwise loop better since otherwise you'd have to climb up to the Lackawanna from the Paulinskill on a mile of road...not so much fun, particularly on a fattie. In addition the Lackawanna is pretty rough, youd want to do that when your legs are fresh.

Top Bottom