getting back on the road, what to consider

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
how did you figure which BB when there's no mention of the crank on their website? Again way too many choices gives headaches. Do you remember the exact model of your BB? Just want to see how to read the website details better.
Gxp and shimano are both 24mm axles but the interface with the bearings/seals is different.

If you want to run either on that frame, you need the pf30 to shimano or gxp conversion B.B.

However, is this the Atlas or the Hyas? On their website, both of those models at PF86. So unless you have different info, PF86 is what you need.

Per Bike Radar for PF86:
Very closely related to Trek's BB90/95 system is the PF86/92 standard used by Scott, Giant, Pivot, and many others.
  • Crank designs that will fit: Standard 24mm external-type, BB386 EVO

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Surprised Giant didn't sue their pants off over that

2019-revolt-advanced-2-color-b-cropped-1534429735375-kt2uea1yyw1i-630-354.jpg

Ya gotta love the open mold stuff.... ;)

rick81721

Lothar
how did you figure which BB when there's no mention of the crank on their website? Again way too many choices gives headaches. Do you remember the exact model of your BB? Just want to see how to read the website details better.

There's a place on the kogel website where you tell them exactly what you have bike and crankset wise, they will email back which one you need.

qclabrat

Gxp and shimano are both 24mm axles but the interface with the bearings/seals is different.

If you want to run either on that frame, you need the pf30 to shimano or gxp conversion B.B.

However, is this the Atlas or the Hyas? On their website, both of those models at PF86. So unless you have different info, PF86 is what you need.

Per Bike Radar for PF86:
Very closely related to Trek's BB90/95 system is the PF86/92 standard used by Scott, Giant, Pivot, and many others.
  • Crank designs that will fit: Standard 24mm external-type, BB386 EVO
It's the Arion model, hard to locate on the website.
https://alchemybicycles.com/full-custom-bike-builds/

All I know its the gen2 version which was made in house instead of by Enve. But did see the stock bikes with the other BB. I still don't get PF vs threaded. So many more with PF complain about squeaks

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
It's the Arion model, hard to locate on the website.
https://alchemybicycles.com/full-custom-bike-builds/

All I know its the gen2 version which was made in house instead of by Enve. But did see the stock bikes with the other BB. I still don't get PF vs threaded. So many more with PF complain about squeaks
I have never had an issue with PF30 squeaking, not BB30 was a different story...even with the cheap sram PF30, no squeak was had.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
From what I've seen, you can get a damn nice road bike for under $5K.

Unless you're a PITA like me and insist on Campy. I'm still running 8 spd as well. Eventually I'll build up another road bike, but I still like my antique Colnago...

Giant Defy Pro for example. Carbon, tubeless carbon wheels, Di2, and a Power Meter all stock for 5k.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Giant has always been the best value if you're not a name brand whore and willing to ride a Giant.

But Giant is a name brand. The reason they seem like such a value is because almost every other company you've ever heard of has their frames built in Giant's Factories and thus have to charge more. Same frame quality, less dollars.

Chris(NJ)

Yea, I know. Doesn't change the fact that a lot of people would rather ride an "S-Works" than a "Giant" at their weekly group ride.

CrankAddictRich

^^^ This... kind of like when you see a young single dude that has a good job, that drives a Toyota Camry instead of something cool. hahaha I want to smack the guy and say, "You'll have plenty of time for a family car later, get an M3 or something cool now."

Ian F

^^^ This... kind of like when you see a young single dude that has a good job, that drives a Toyota Camry instead of something cool. hahaha I want to smack the guy and say, "You'll have plenty of time for a family car later, get an M3 or something cool now."

Eh... sometimes it's a matter of priorities. I have a lot of "cool" cars, but my daily driver is a minivan. It's comfortable. Hauls bikes well. And it's expendable. I save my cool cars for the weekend (when they're running...).

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Yea, I know. Doesn't change the fact that a lot of people would rather ride an "S-Works" than a "Giant" at their weekly group ride.
Yeah, Giant is uber conservative with everything, designs, paint jobs and just look how long it took them to get to 29ers. Everything from frame designs to paint jobs is middle of the road. I guess they let other people be innovative, make mistakes and then pick what sells.

That being said, they have very good carbon construction and their buying power is huge, part of the reason for the better value.

I had an OCR, OCR-C, Trance, Trance X and they were all good for the time they served. I don’t seem to be the only one that started with Giant and moved on. Ever notice the only people riding them longer term are sponsored by them?

Top Bottom