Gettin' back ...

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Not a blog - just figured this is the most likely correct location for this ... So a while back I mentioned some back issues I was dealing with in some other post (can't remember where) and I got some good advice from folks here who had dealt with issues themselves. I did ultimately get a diagnosis: two herniated discs. Yesterday I went in for my second of a three round regimen of epidural shots. That whole thing is an interesting experience because they put you under to give them to you (apparently, having a giant needle stuck into your spinal cord while you are awake is allegedly quite painful) and yet you're only under for like 20 minutes, which is not enough time to be able to register that any time has passed when you come out of it. I told my wife that I imagine this is the closest I will ever come to what it means to be dead without actually being dead -- it's just total nothingness and I have no concept of it. So, it's like I completely cease to exist for a short period of time. I've been under anesthesia many times, but usually it's for longer procedures and while I wake up without any memory, I do have the vague sense that time has passed. Not so with these shots. It's kind of freaky, and I imagine the one good difference between this and actual death is that in actual death I won't need to worry about it being freaky after the fact like it is now. I know .. I know ... that's some deep shit.

Anyway, I'd have to say that the shots have worked to an extent, but I'm learning that this may not be a magic bullet. I was told not to do anything for a few days after the shot just as a precaution, so I'm not allowed to ride until the weekend. They had me do the same thing after the first round. But that's fine - the one problem I had after the first round occurred a week later. Usually, every Thursday morning, I take a yoga class and I was feeling pretty good going into last Thursday a week out from my first shot, so I went to class. Bad idea. The rest of the week up until yesterday morning, I was acutely aware that my back felt not so much painful as very weak and a tiny bit sore again. And another thing I'm noticing on the bike is a bit more depressing: for some reason, I'm now experiencing these mini-spasms in both hamstrings (more so in my left) whenever I climb. You know the kind of spasms you get as a warning before you cramp up? That kind of quick twinge that tells you that you either have to slow down and adapt your ride or you're in for a rough time ahead? That's what I am feeling, except it happens on every hill and it never actually becomes cramps, and I don't know if that's because I've been doing the shit long enough where I have learned how to mindlessly adapt to forestall cramps (because I have learned to do that the hard way over the last few years) or if it's just a nerve thing resonating from this back issue that isn't really a harbinger of cramping at all. It just feels like it is. So while I've never been a huge fan of climbing, I've never really worried too much about it, but now every time I climb I feel like I know it's coming and I have to worry about it. I'd be lying if I said that I'm not really hoping this latest round does something to change all that, because it looks like my one go-to for keeping myself functional the last six years - yoga - may not be an option in the near future. I'm really hoping that isn't permanent, but if it's the only thing that causes me issues, I'll have to stop.

I'd also be lying if I said this hasn't made me wonder what I may have to avoid race-wise this year. I'm really hoping to go back to Shen this year and shoot for a personal goal that has thus far eluded me, and yet I'm still not registered because I kind of feel like I have to wait and see how this effects my ability to get in the shape I'd need to be in to hit my goal (and I am admittedly a long way off of that right now.) Moreover, I'm still planning to line up for SSAP in a week or so, but I'm pretty sure that even if my back feels okay, I'm just not going to be happy with how I ride there. I'l do it and I'll certainly have a good time -- always fun to ride with all the folks there -- but my legs will let me know on the first climb if I can even think about a good day, and that's not a great thing to be wondering about on the start line.

I'd love to just chalk all this up to aging and say "oh well" and just ride fun stuff at an easy pace or (even worse) put gears on my bike, but I'm just not ready to do that entirely. I've got a lot of open questions -- when I actually feel good, I have been riding okay but then I'll turn around and shit the bed the very next ride. I just set personal KOMs on two of my toughest private segments in Wiss a week ago, but then the very next night, I struggled to keep my average over 9 mph for my standard loop, something I haven't even had any issue doing in years when it's dry out there. And I didn't feel bad, per se, I just had no top end to push with. But then the next day I hit the road for 40 miles and felt really good most of the time. So I feel pretty inconsistent and it kind of sucks showing up to ride or race wondering which kind of day it's going to be. Luckily, I do still feel better deep into a ride than at the start, so I don't think my endurance is too impacted by all this crap, but I haven't really had a big test of that where there's a lot of climbing either -- something like Rothrock Trail Mix would tell me for sure if I can handle longer, harder rides, but honestly who wants to learn the answer to that is "nope" on a course like that? The last ten miles is basically one giant rock garden! I just don't know where i am right now, and I think that bugs me more than anything else.

Anyway, since I can't ride or exercise right now, just figured I'd spend my lunch hour exercising my typing fingers. Thanks for listening!

i read that whole thing. that's some interesting and crazy stuff. i am not jealous of you needing the epidural. that is one big-ass needle.

i'm having some overuse injuries that are driving me crazy. nothing like what you are experiencing - at all. i have bursitis in the hips. and now its coming along in my knee. i pushed it on my last ride on a segment only to be limping around work the past two days like an old man. i've been changing it up with other stuff (climbing). i realize my body is out of balance and i have overused some stuff, and i need to work other parts of it. and i gotta rest the overused areas, or else i face permanent damage. i have been told to take it easy... or else i need to take a 4 - 6 month hiatus from riding.

as for the dead thing - you see this study>: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=5921098&page=1

i want to see the results from this if they ever come out.

Dr Eric Goodman foundation workout. The best thing I have done for myself. 2-3 times a week. Find it on YouTube, buy a foam roller for before it and then spend 11 minutes twice a week making your lower back feel fantastic.

Bummer about not riding man...hoping you are still coming to SSAP to hang out?

I'll be at SSAP ... I just may be seeing more of it from the nether regions than I would have hoped!

i read that whole thing. that's some interesting and crazy stuff. i am not jealous of you needing the epidural. that is one big-ass needle.

i'm having some overuse injuries that are driving me crazy. nothing like what you are experiencing - at all. i have bursitis in the hips. and now its coming along in my knee. i pushed it on my last ride on a segment only to be limping around work the past two days like an old man. i've been changing it up with other stuff (climbing). i realize my body is out of balance and i have overused some stuff, and i need to work other parts of it. and i gotta rest the overused areas, or else i face permanent damage. i have been told to take it easy... or else i need to take a 4 - 6 month hiatus from riding.

as for the dead thing - you see this study>: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=5921098&page=1

i want to see the results from this if they ever come out.

That link is interesting, but I have to admit I'm more of a skeptic. I think if I opened my eyes while dead, the only thing to see out of them would be the worms gnawing through them.

Take care of yourself Martin, even if it means switching up your ride. I don't know if your back issues are related to riding a SS but it is something to consider. There is no sit and spin when it comes to SS on climbs.

Woody had back issues which kept him off the bike that where related to years of ssing. I'm not saying that if you SS you will have back problems but if you do have back problems riding a SS puts more stress on your body.

See you at SSaP:)

In 2002 I was diagnosed with a degenerated disc. I know your pain. I purchased a teeted hang up and love it. Shit, I suggest it for anyone. It feels great after a workout or a ride! Dual function: blood out of legs and decompress the back.

so you've never really rode with gears? even at my young age the singlespeed puts a hurt on my back. shit, my back still hurts from last weekend. nothing wrong with putting some gears on if it means you can enjoy riding. you will have to change your username to 11speeds though :)

In 2002 I was diagnosed with a degenerated disc. I know your pain. I purchased a teeted hang up and love it. Shit, I suggest it for anyone. It feels great after a workout or a ride! Dual function: blood out of legs and decompress the back.

I have a inversion table like that -- not the Teeter one, but something very similar. I love it (except when my sinuses are running - then, no bueno.) It helps in general, but this has felt like an acute thing that decided to go chronic on me. When it flares up bad, I can't manage the transition in my inversion table -- I'm okay standing straight up, and I feel great in verted, but going from one to the other is all but impossible -- there is one point where the exact spot it hurts is the fulcrum point for all my weight, and when I tried to use it the last time it flared up, I couldn't manage to get past that point.

so you've never really rode with gears? even at my young age the singlespeed puts a hurt on my back. shit, my back still hurts from last weekend. nothing wrong with putting some gears on if it means you can enjoy riding. you will have to change your username to 11speeds though :)

I used to ride gears all the time. In fact I still have two geared bikes at home, although they're both 26ers so I doubt I'll ever ride either of them again. One has a custom paint job so I'll probably keep that one and hang it up in my shop some day when I stop being lazy about breaking it down. The other I'll probably give to my nephew when he's a bit older. I'm pretty short so he'll probably fit it by the time he's, oh, 8 or so.

I actually don't have anything against gears. In fact, my decision to ride SS really only came about as a result of my wanting to build my own bike. I had never been good at tuning derailleurs, so rather than deal with the stress of it, I built up a SS. And then I rode it and found that I just preferred that riding style.

I honestly have no idea if all of this shit with my back is related to SS or not. I suspect @pooriggy is probably right - if anything, it doesn't help it. But I'm still not convinced that it's a problem I can't solve without giving it up just yet. I have a plan -- thanks to @David Taylor for the exercise link above, but I already have my own plan (I worked at a gym P/T for years and have kept in touch with a few personal trainers, one of whom is going to be working with me on core conditioning and mobility stuff. I've had that planned since they day I found out I'd be doing these shots.) I figure that having a very strong core should protect me somewhat when fatigue makes it hard to keep my back straight. If there is one big mistake I know I've made in the past few years, it's that I've ridden too much at a cost to other forms of cross-training. When you consider that over 90% of all my riding is off-road, and I put in 8K+ a year on the bike, that tells you that I spend a lot of time on the bike. Between that and being in a similar position at work all day, I'm probably lucky my back doesn't look like a "C". So I do need to focus on some exercises that at least complement what I do on the bike. It's tough, though, because honestly given the choice, I think I'd rather spend time riding than doing pretty much anything else. But right now, I'm realizing that if I want to be able to keep riding at all the way I like to, I'm going to have to start making the choice to do some other workouts a few days a week. Yoga was good for me, but that's one of those things where if you need an instructor (and I NEED an instructor!) you're kind of stuck with the classes offered at times you can make, so I had to fit what I could in my schedule and that wasn't ideal. What I'd like to do is maybe continue that one or two days a week, fit in maybe three full body workouts a week and ride the rest of the time. I may have to mix up my schedule to make it work, but I've always loved getting out for pre-dawn rides so I think that could work for me. I'm pretty sure "11speeds" isn't going to work for me -- but on the bright side, that could give @capedoc more design work for a new kit, so, ya know, there's that ...

What I'd like to do is maybe continue that one or two days a week, fit in maybe three full body workouts a week and ride the rest of the time. I may have to mix up my schedule to make it work, but I've always loved getting out for pre-dawn rides so I think that could work for me.

Dang, that sounds like a lot of work. Just cut out those 100 Mile mtb rides on a SS and you'll be fine. Seriously, that'll kill your body. 8k a yr on a mtb will put a hurting on anyone(especially a ss). Cut it back to 3-5K and your body will be much happier. It's ok to put in less miles as you get older, just put in betterer miles:)

Quality of quantity. It seems the more I got into trying to be faster on the MTB, the less I rode it. It's not like you're riding Six Mile and Mercer, those miles at Wiss add up!

Back
Top Bottom