Gears, group sets ???

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
So as some know I upgraded from a Pivot Les frame to a Mach 429 SL frame and will run that with gears. Currently as per @UtahJoe suggested I have a like new but older XX 10 speed setup. I have xx1 cranks and xx derailleur, shifter cassette. I am ok with 10 speed and the gearing I have but after dropping the chain at stewart a bunch is that my problem or the cracked BB area on the Les? Basically I’d rather not spend more but I can get new xt 11spd installed for $350 on the new build. So the question is...was my problem compenent related or frame damage related? Is xt worth the move? Thanks in advance.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Does the XX rear derailleur have a clutch? It was meant as a 2x10 I think.

I've used Shimano and SRAM 11 sp groups and dropped my chain maybe once.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i don't see how your equipment choices caused your chain to drop.

the added gear range of the shimano 11 speed is worth it for the type of racing you do.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've never dropped a chain on my XT 10spd or XT 11spd with an RF N/W chain ring or OneUp Oval.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Does the XX rear derailleur have a clutch? It was meant as a 2x10 I think.

I've used Shimano and SRAM 11 sp groups and dropped my chain maybe once.
No clutch. I only used it at hartshorne a bit and the kittatinny endurance race last year on the top fuel. It didn’t drop then and I was using an absolute black 34T

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I have ... nothing ... to offer in this discussion ...

Good luck with "gears", you turncoat ... :cool:
If I was a lightweight like you and didn’t break a premium ss frame I’d agree I am a turncoat but truthfully I love Ss and this was just the option out of a good for shit premium ss frame.

qclabrat

So your low gear is 42x32? You are ether a climbing monster or you ride down south in the flat lands. My first guess is you have to much chain.
Have you seen his podium pics? Dude could be at the Royal Rumble and not look out of place.

Definitely clutch derailleur will help a lot. I still hear chain slap bombing downhills on a hardtail, but never drops.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i fell victim to utah loving the 32x36, but its just not enough gear sometimes. once i started doing longer races, i needed that extra 40/42 in the back. maybe i spin more?

So your low gear is 42x32? You are ether a climbing monster or you ride down south in the flat lands. My first guess is you have to much chain.
32x42 should be able to climb you up the side of your house like a slug

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
i fell victim to utah loving the 32x36, but its just not enough gear sometimes. once i started doing longer races, i needed that extra 40/42 in the back. maybe i spin more?

32x42 should be able to climb you up the side of your house like a slug
I don’t really walk anything on SS so curious why I would with this much gear let alone a 42 or 46?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
we are talking about riding/racing with gears:

just because you can turn over a large gear and arent walking anything doesn't make it the right gearing.

i "didn't really walk anything" at the Stokesville 60k race with 32t front and 36t rear, but i knew that i would be much more efficient and faster with more gear in the back. you train and do intervals, so you understand that if you can keep your legs spinning at a high RPM you are going to keep putting out high power. high power = more fasterer.

i ask you this, do the top pro guys at Lewis Morris run 11-28 road cassettes on their MTBs because they are stronger than us average joes? i'm willing to bet every single one of those 11-12 teeth from 10-42 were used in every race course around. hell, even at allaire on tiger woods i think i would find the 42t.

this obviously gets thrown out the window with SSing, but you know that.

@UtahJoe talks about how Cody won SSAP many moons ago with a 32x18 (or was it a 19?) while everyone in the world was running 2:1 or even bigger gears.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
we are talking about riding/racing with gears:

just because you can turn over a large gear and arent walking anything doesn't make it the right gearing.

i "didn't really walk anything" at the Stokesville 60k race with 32t front and 36t rear, but i knew that i would be much more efficient and faster with more gear in the back. you train and do intervals, so you understand that if you can keep your legs spinning at a high RPM you are going to keep putting out high power. high power = more fasterer.

i ask you this, do the top pro guys at Lewis Morris run 11-28 road cassettes on their MTBs because they are stronger than us average joes? i'm willing to bet every single one of those 11-12 teeth from 10-42 were used in every race course around. hell, even at allaire on tiger woods i think i would find the 42t.

this obviously gets thrown out the window with SSing, but you know that.

@UtahJoe talks about how Cody won SSAP many moons ago with a 32x18 (or was it a 19?) while everyone in the world was running 2:1 or even bigger gears.
Interesting. I think the top 20 times on tiger woods are ss. I kinda see what u are saying and not looki g to argue. I tend to put out longer big power efforts in a gear closer to a hard gear than an easy gear. Come to think of it I rarely use the small ring on my road bike. Is it optimal? Not sure but I do try all differnt gears when doing things such as power intervals and ftp tests. But I was a shitty rider with gear to begin with.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This. Because me too. I'm a spinner, not a masher.

I think the 50T is dumb though. 30 Oval x 11-42T for me. 32x20 SS.

50t would let you run a 36 or 38 in front, so you wouldn't spin out on downhills (if there were any that called for it), and still be able to climb a low gear.

People are very dismissive about new things. You should be more open minded. :p

Top Bottom