Garmin GPS mod

02camaro

So after getting my Garmin 810 about a year ago, I immediately crashed and broke one of the ears off the back so it was unable to lock into the mount. Not to keen on sending it back in for a warranty only to get it back and have it happen again I decided to look for an alternative. I came up with this product
https://www.dogearsgps.com/
It replaces the chintzy plastic ears with and aluminum plate. Ive had this mod installed for the past year and it has been flawless. The plate mounts with 2 self tapping screws on top of the original garmin mount. i supplemented the screws with a dab of super glue and its been perfect even after a few crashes.

Hopefully this helps other people, its been well worth it for me.
20180308_172726_001.jpg
20180308_172732_001.jpg
20180308_172739.jpg

pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i could see doing this if it was out of warranty, but if it was brand new and you could get it warrantied, why wouldn't you do that?

02camaro

So if you crash and hit it again, what’s the new weak point?
hopefully the bar mount not the ears
i could see doing this if it was out of warranty, but if it was brand new and you could get it warrantied, why wouldn't you do that?
I actually dont know if I could get it warrantied since I caused the damage from a crash. I guess technically I didnt have to tell them my crash caused the damage and they may fix it but I could also be on the hook for shipping both ways plus parts and labor at Garmin if they dont.

pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I actually dont know if I could get it warrantied since I caused the damage from a crash. I guess technically I didnt have to tell them my crash caused the damage and they may fix it but I could also be on the hook for shipping both ways plus parts and labor at Garmin if they dont.
you right you right, if you gave them a pity story i'm sure they would have hooked you up!

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think you got ripped off. The real one is DogEarsGPS, yours says DogsEarsGPS. Just saying.

I have half a clip missing on mine so I was going to get this, but it's still holding fine for now.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Great product. I used this on my Edge 500 that was already a few years old at the time. Worked great for a few years, until I crashed again and cracked the screen.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Great product. I used this on my Edge 500 that was already a few years old at the time. Worked great for a few years, until I crashed again and cracked the screen.
maybe the mount would have cracked off and no broken screen if the plate wasn’t so strong

fidodie

Staff member
maybe the mount would have cracked off and no broken screen if the plate wasn’t so strong
if it was an out-front mount, and not a stem mount, it shouldn't be so tight that it can't move (like your brake lever or stem)
---
this aftermarket wahoo mount has a sacrificial core just for that - although i'm not sure they planned it that way!

they have matchy-matchy garmin mounts too.

https://cyclingkom.com/

IMG_0015.JPG

PS - they did not charge me for replacing it, so they deserve a bump here too.
damn, i need a pedicure.

Last edited:

02camaro

I think you got ripped off. The real one is DogEarsGPS, yours says DogsEarsGPS. Just saying.

I have half a clip missing on mine so I was going to get this, but it's still holding fine for now.
i noticed that, but i did buy it directly from their website. paid what is listed and functions as advertised. fake or just a snafu i dont care it works.