Garmin Connect Switch to Bing Maps

Discussion in 'General Bike Talk' started by Norm, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Glancing Aft

Glancing Aft Active Member

2. Norm

Norm Mayor McCheese Team MTBNJ Halter's

Facebook is fast becoming the voiceless outlet of the people, isn't it? Instead of joining this group, I went out to the street and pulled up a manhole cover and yelled down how much I didn't like the new maps. After that, I wrote a note, set it on fire, and did an ancient Sioux dance around the small fire. I think all 3 of these actions probably carry as much weight in getting Google maps back. I may be cynical.

3. rlb

rlb Well-Known Member

I had very similar thoughts, though I lack the creative imagination to express them in a way as interesting as you did. Thanks!

4. Glancing Aft

cynical you are, but accurate you are too...

but I still want to cry about what the did...

5. gtluke

gtluke The Moped Team MTBNJ Halter's

I'm surprised how much faster the bing maps are than google maps. Zooming in and out is lightning fast.
    As long as they keep supporting kml and gpx I'm okay with whatever they put on their free website.

6. Glancing Aft

That's a joke right? I use google and bing* extensively for work purposes on windows 7 and XP Machines, and an OS X Machine at home. The fluidity and the refresh rate of Bing is horrid in comparison. Transferring bing to garmin connect makes navigating in explore mode terrible. The lack of having a terrain map or any topographical relief map makes planning and understanding a route useless. And for icing on the cake Bing has an inability to work properly on iOS devices. IMO, Bing Maps is about 3 years behind the tech curve, which seems typical of Microsoft.

* I use bing to access it's one good feature, birds eye.

7. goodvibe

goodvibe Active Member

This sucks. When mountain biking, you need the terrain maps. Bing is horrible.

8. RonC

RonC ZGOZZ Macman

I thought I read that Microsoft is Discontinuing there maps?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  9. kimrey

kimrey New Member

Maybe we should all start mapping our routes to spell out BING SUCKS.

10. soundz

soundz The Hat Team MTBNJ Halter's

I've seen several JBoss errors since they did the "up"grade. Like right now.

11. soundz

If you go to maps.bing.com, the maps they have on there are different looking than the older looking Bing maps which Garmin Connect is using. What this means, I don't know.

Microsoft should concentrate their time on more useful things like Terrain view and not give us the iterations of the same road maps 3 times.

12. soundz

Holy crap, their Bird's Eye view is much improved now. It used to be just 2 levels of zoom, but now you have multiple levels of zoom. Panning and rotation seems somewhat smoother than before.

I hope Garmin Connect starts using this.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  13. technic05

technic05 New Member

14. Glancing Aft

I installed this a few days ago and it's been working great for me. I just wish he could get it working in the explore page.

I also have been playing around with this extension some. It let's you easily export from within garmin connect to their site and gives you some great data that you used to be able to get back in the motionbased days,
    http://www.sportietech.com/ChromeExtension/#install

15. trener1

trener1 Active Member

I just came across this site, http://ridewithgps.com/ it looks pretty cool.
    Anyone use this site?.
    I might try it instead of Garmin Connect.

16. soundz

Bird's Eye View is now available.

17. Norm

Norm Mayor McCheese Team MTBNJ Halter's

Not where I am.

Have to say that in general I don't care what they use. But over here Bing sucks big monkey balls.

18. antgold

antgold Member

garmin connect - Google/bing option

now you can switch between Garmin and Google from the dashboard !
    :)

19. soundz

Awesome! I really like their new courses option too.

20. jayres6

jayres6 Member

ride with GPS

I have used it and it is cool. However, most garmin users use garmin connect, so there are way more rides on there than anywhere else. and now that you can search the map by area and filter on ride type, it's really easy to find rides in a given area (awsome if you are going on vacation and don't know exactly where to ride).

I think the more GPS sites there are, the more annoying it is becasue you have to search them all to find what you are looking for. Between MapMyRide, GC, and RWGPS, I find myself searching all of them if I'm looking for a ride.

It would be nice if they would share databases, but I know that kind of defeats the point of competition in a market space...