Garmin 800, every park in NJ map overlay. You need this!

gtluke

The Moped
GARMIN 800 or newer ONLY
Actually it will work for : Colorado/Oregon/Dakota/Montana/GPSMap 62/GPSMap 78/Rino 600/Astro 300/Edge 800/eTrex 20 & 30

Okay I worked like all winter on this, I don't even want to divulge how much time I spent figuring out that you can actually do this, and then actually doing it.

Public Version 2.2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9x2w0bunu91tdja/NJ-Mapping.kmz?dl=0

This should have every single parked mapped out on it, you can open it in Google Earth and check it out. If someone has a better map I can swap some maps out. Or if there are parks that need to be added.

How to install. It's EASY
Just take that file and put it in here:
(you likely have to create this folder in your Garmin)
X:\Garmin\CustomMaps
so on your garmin (dunno if it works on the SD card, I put it on the actual garmin) it should look like this:
X:\Garmin\CustomMaps\NJ-Mapping.kmz

It will automatically just show up on your device. Your boot time of your garmin will increase by 5-10 seconds as it loads these.

To turn them off on your garmin:
Wrench Icon\System\Map\Map Information Select Map
Then you can select on/off

That's it!

What your garmin will now look like when you are at a park that I mapped. Your little icon guy will be right on top of this map. If you leave the park, you will get your normal base map. I've been testing it all spring and it's AWESOME.

619.bmp

sometimes the map is a tiny bit off, I can adjust those eventually. Here's a live shot here:
11797.bmp

Changelog:

2.0 6/30/14
Updated waywanda map to Tom Hennigan
Rescaled multiple parks to bring it under the 100 image limit
Updated Ringwood and Rampo to SoundzSpec map
Added Raystown
Added Nockamixon Park
Updated Stewart to Stewards of Stewart map

2.1 7/10/14
Added Mohonk Preserve and Minnewaska

2.2 10/16/14
Added the new Ringwood Map and some hiking locations

Edit:
Woody's tips for loading this:

Works great for me! (Thanks again Luke.)

CrankDat, did you create the CustomMaps folder in the GARMIN folder of the GARMIN 'drive'?

It should look like this:

CustomMaps%2520332012%252074317%2520PM.jpg

Last edited:

rlb

Nice work. Does the garmin support vector KMZs (point, line, polygon) or just image based?

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Insane, it showed up on mine. That had to take at least an hour. I'll give it a go tmw.

gtluke

The Moped
Nice work. Does the garmin support vector KMZs (point, line, polygon) or just image based?
Yeah I'm pretty sure it does, but I'm not sure. Since you can't add coordinates to a .jpg, it's using the .kmz container to place them on the map. Every park has it's own .kmz with the tiles inside. All those .kmz files are put into one large .kmz that the garmin reads on it's own.

rlb

Yeah I'm pretty sure it does, but I'm not sure. Since you can't add coordinates to a .jpg, it's using the .kmz container to place them on the map. Every park has it's own .kmz with the tiles inside. All those .kmz files are put into one large .kmz that the garmin reads on it's own.

I have a bunch of trails as lines which might help get past the limitations (if it works). See if you can add this.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Luke, You are the man. Holy Shit. Thanks.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks Luke.. this is gonna be great to have... Thanks for your labor of bike love..

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Luke needs an Oscar, award, just something to remind him how awesome he is. Thanks Bro for helping a brother out and making life a bit easier...

gtluke

The Moped
What I need is for all of you to come over to my new house with tools, paintbrushes and hamburgers. And one person bring a grille :)

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I could use some help cleaning this up though.
What I need:
The 800 is limited to 100 images displayed, it is also limited to file size per image to 1024x1024. Each one of these parks is split into an average of 6 tiles.

How about splitting them into areas like Northeast, Northwest, etc... so you can select based on park you are at. I'd love to help but no Garmin 800 here. If I had an 800 the hunting grounds map would be very helpful.

gtluke

The Moped
I have the forbidden zone in another file if anyone wants it.

I could do that Jimmy but really I should just optimize the images.

gtluke

The Moped
My buddy Kevin came riding today and he rode around on my silly bike when we were done. He's better than me. You should ride your silly bike.

Top Bottom