Garmin 800, every park in NJ map overlay. You need this!

gtluke

The Moped
This is true.
The trials bike :p
Actually my new house is really near a swamp, I started looking at the moon lander. Why are they so much more than a pug? Annoying...
Sell me your pug, you should be bored of it by now, it's not even Ti!
I think I saw a Ti fat bike at hartshorne last week. It wasn't a pug, but it was fat, and looked Ti.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
That's Smoove P, he's got a 20/20. The Moonlander is silly. I actually have something in the works that may replace my Pug. It would be a one off prototype.

Jim

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You are evolving to a couch with tractor tires. Or a lawn chair.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Dude,
that is really cool can't imagine how many hours it took you to do that thanks...

JerseyPete

What I need is for all of you to come over to my new house with tools, paintbrushes and hamburgers. And one person bring a grille :)

Congrats on getting the house and good luck!
Is there a wish list of stuff you would take second hand (garbage picked) like mowers or similar?

BTW, can you use GPX files from people for this GPS project?

gtluke

The Moped
I haven't obtained the house yet, it's been months in the making but I think it will be mine soon.

I don't think I have a need for any gpx files. I used to do it that way but now with the images it's really not needed.

6thElement

I've been tempted to upgrade from my 705 just so I can do this for the areas I ride. Creating maps with my gpx tracks, instead of just using my current gpx overlays.

edit: The WMBA map you've overlayed at Blue Mountain definitely isn't a GPS accurate representation of the trails.

Last edited:

gtluke

The Moped
Yeah I know, the WMBA map is an "artists rendition of"
I'm not sure what to do about that. I think the fire roads are correct though.

6thElement

Take a look on open cycle map, someone has put almost all of the trails on there. I can generate a jpg from that if you want?

gtluke

The Moped
but yeah I guess for this project it's more important to have an accurate map vs a pretty one. But damn is the WMBA map nice. I wish it was just physically accurate.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
but yeah I guess for this project it's more important to have an accurate map vs a pretty one. But damn is the WMBA map nice. I wish it was just physically accurate.

If you have a giant GPX track, I can try to trace over it candy-land style. It's a lot of work doe :drooling:

FitmanNJ

I, too, have added a lot of trail information to the Open Street/Bike Maps by taking GPS ride files, overlaying them on the OSM New Jersey map using the Potlatch2 editor (a little kludgy, but overall pretty easy to use), then tracing the trails that I've been on (they're "correct" to the level of accuracy that my GPS was able to obtain on the days that I rode the trails, and the accuracy of my tracing them). I've added content to Allaire, Clayton, Six Mile, Frost Woods, Rutgers Ecological Preserve, Huber and Hartshorne Woods, Round Valley (only made if half way around), Chimney Rock/Washington Valley, Voorheis, Lewis Morris, The Tourne, Allamuchy Deer Park, and Kittatinny Valley. I can't vouch that I've hit the entire trail system at these locations, but I keep adding content when I find that I've ridden on something new. I also haven't been to the southern and northernmost NJ venues, yet.

The OSM maps seem to take up to a month to reflect newly-added content in the downloadable maps. I use a Garmin 705, and the trails aren't usually visible until you zoom in to scale 500 feet or less. For those of us with older GPS devices, this could be trail map option.

gtluke

The Moped
I can't wait for the gaming 900 in a few years that has LTE and real time streaming of the osm maps ;-)

Robin

Thanks Luke for this - I did have it on while we were at the BSA...but then I got tunnel vision following MattyB and forgot to look down to see how awesome the maps were while on the trails. It will come in handy when I don't have the Mooch Mighty to follow :D

woody

Thanks Luke!

I'd love to have a copy of the file with the forbidden zones... or better yet a guided tour. :)

Count me in for some manual labor when you score the new crib.

Top Bottom