Garmin 530

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I get what you're saying - duplicity, back-up and all that, but running a hotspot on phone-A in an attempt to save battery while using phone-B doesn't fit my logic. Even with ~20% battery I can map/track for my typical rides with juice to spare (and that's not even managing cellular drain, just letting it run). My old phone netted me $300 off the new phone, which was a much better (everyday life technology) deal than spending it on "old" GPS tech. It gives me crazy battery life and for the next two years, as long as I bring a piece of it in, I get a free replacement. Win-win, cowboy logic, dunno?

Actually, it's more of save the battery of Phone-A (Primary phone I care about). That phone can sit in my backpack with hotspot on, GPS not running, screen off. It's the phone that I want to work when I'm done with the ride, use GPS to get back to my hotel or campsite and possibly not be able to charge it.

Phone-B (old crappy phone) is the one that sits on the handlebar running Trailforks/MTB Project getting it's wifi from the phone in my pack. Screen on full brightness and kept on so I can quickly look at it when getting to an intersection.

I use a Samsung S3 because it's worthless, it works for this purpose and I already have a handlebar mount.

The big thing with this too is if that Phone-B gets smashed or lost, I really don't care. I do if my primary phone does.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I'd love to hear from anyone who has a 530. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one but lots of online reviews state the back button doesn't work right. There's speculation of a manufacturing defect.

Anyone have first hand experience?

goodvibe

I own the 1030, 820 and 520. I bought them all when they first came out. They are completely awesome. . .now. The only issue is that Garmin likes to beta test their new devices on the people who initially jump on their devices. It took a couple of months to get both the 1030 and 820 without bugs. Would I pull the trigger on the new Garmin, absolutely, but I would give it a little time.

serviceguy

I decided to go with the 830, should map my endurance rides in my driveway just fine. They’re on sale on Jenson, $399 for the combo including HRM and cadence sensor.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
After this weekend's adventure. Over 25 hours with 50% battery life left. OOS could probably use it for a year without recharging :)

20190527_090947.jpg

serviceguy

After this weekend's adventure. Over 25 hours with 50% battery life left. OOS could probably use it for a year without recharging :)

View attachment 96213

Your enthusiasm about its battery life (and the sale price) was my main motivation to finally pull the plug on it. I don't ride much but my already rare rides never made it to Strava because the battery of my old iPhone usually dies about a quarter intp the ride, then I just gave up recording them. At my current OOS level it will make it into next century, unfortunately I won't...

Robin

This might be a dumb post but has anyone gotten the 530 recently? I’ve been (im)patiently waiting on the Garmin website for availability. Do shops have them or should I be looking elsewhere?

Mare

This might be a dumb post but has anyone gotten the 530 recently? I’ve been (im)patiently waiting on the Garmin website for availability. Do shops have them or should I be looking elsewhere?
Hi Robin! I just saw this, so sorry I am late replying :) I did get the 530 and I like it a lot. Very helpful when I upload a road course, but hard to follow in the woods (I only tried it once though in the woods so far). Anyway, I got mine from Pop's in Bound Brook. They have a shop in Somerville too, but they don't have them there. If you call, they can bring it over to the Somerville shop though.

goodvibe

Got my 830 about 2 weeks ago because I need all of the coolest and newest stuff. Went on three rides and it is really good. If anyone is looking for a relatively new 820, I will probably look to sell it soon.

Top Bottom