This is NOT the greatest blog in the world, no. This is just a tribute!

thegock

How many falls did you take on that fine SC expensive whip?

We ever gonna ride together again?

Still like gerbils?

Falling behind on these monthly updates with so much going on. House sale/new purchase we have multiple parts in motion - everything should be more clarified by end of next week, hopefully. Anywho, June:

Month started and ended similarly - a couple of mountain bike rides the first week, then the rains left everything wet for 2 weeks, then ended with a few trail rides. In between, road ride. Still getting used to the blur, she's fast which seems to be leading to more high-speed crashes - at least at 6mr. Tally:

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I get a kick out of you two guys..... :)

5D97022F-D92A-487C-898E-560EB9C37136.jpeg

It’s like our own real life OG “Odd Couple” ;)

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
re: Nemesis.... do you think the new Blur had anything to do with it? Not trying to discount your skills and efforts but curious as to your thoughts on how much equipment factored it.

There was this one climb I did at Stephens that not too many cleared and there was no way I could have cleared it if it wasn't for Eagle and the traction from the plus tire.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
August review: The new normal - another late update.

Hours up, miles up and runs up vs July. 5 mtb rides with the dry conditions - should have gotten more dirt but the first ride of the month - fun Friday @ Ringwood - set my lower back off again. Had to can the Lucky's revenge race I was planning on. Need to get more mtb rides in this month as it will be a short one - heading to Canada sept 19 for fishing and won't be back until the 27th, then soon after will shoot down to Florida.

So on the house - made a few cosmetic improvements (refinished hardwood floors, painted the bathroom cabinets) and got new realtors (hopefully better). We went back on the market last thursday, and will keep lowering the price until it sells. Pennies on the dollar!

Tally:

600 miles (564 last month)
19 rides
40 hrs riding time (37.5 last month)

3 runs (10 miles)

Ringwood with @shrpshtr325

View attachment 104310

Token road ride pic

View attachment 104311

Sourlands ( new nemesis - the troll bridge)

View attachment 104312

Six mile on the horsethief

View attachment 104313

You brought the Blur to the sourlands and the horse thief to sixmile? ?

thegock

Captain's Log, Stardate 73171.6 We have been through a farcical shit storm. The captain was banned. Ship, however, is intact and fully functional. I have considered a permanent departure from this alternative universe, however Starship command recos further study. Under advisement.

View attachment 105547

OK originally this was going to be my last post here. All the details outlined below. But yesterday during my ride, I ran into @stb222. Actually, I saw his son first in the parking lot at Baldpate. He looked oddly familiar as I asked him how far it was on the trail to the top of Baldpate and whether I could make it on a road bike with 25mm tires. Then another group of mountain bikers came off the trail and there is Kev. He was probably thinking this when he saw some creepy old guy talking to his son in the parking lot:

View attachment 105548

Anyway, my encounter with Kev renewed my spirit in this place, and so I changed my mind. I still need to severely cut back on my time here so I logged out and deleted bookmarks on most devices except this one computer. To be clear, I do not want my lack of activity here going forward to be misconstrued as some silly fear of being banned or contrition – this old dog doesn’t change – only thing that changes is my posting in smaller doses. And I’m going on my annual incommunicado Canada fishing trip in a few days so this is good timing.

Without further ado, here is my “final” post for your amusement/bemusement/disgruntlement/denouement:

To the incident from last week, like most everything else I post, the gifs were only posted as entertainment, and primarily targeted @Fire Marshal Max whom publicly stated he was going to “shit all over” a thread (fantasy football) that he had no part in. Seemed fair game to me, plus Max and I had a good-natured, ball-busting repartee going for quite some time. And let’s get serious here – this is a board about grown people riding their bikeys. Some even do fake rides on their bikeys! Anywho, I knew @Norm never liked me, however, I expected some type of warning before getting summarily banned. None was ever given. Norm states I get “more complaints” than anyone else. Seriously? For just joking around?

View attachment 105550

That alone speaks volumes about a small number of the people on this board. It is mind blowing to me they are so offended by joke/pic/gif posts that they take the time to cry to uncle Norm about it. I will reiterate my history here and the fact that I was targeted and personally attacked for years by gtluke, but not one time did I ever complain about it. I just felt sorry for the guy, realizing he had serious mental health issues. I even put him on ignore, but he continued the attacks. Yet Norm did nothing – until finally the poor guy made an offensive comment about someone on the team and was booted off the team. Norm pointed out earlier this year during the @Johnny Utah incident that gtluke was not banned from this site – the one person who actually violates the rules of civility and personally attacks others gets a free pass? Seriously?? Wow.

A little about my history here – I started posting almost exactly 7 years ago as a newbie to mountain biking. It was definitely helpful for a few years as I learned the ropes and rode more. But that aspect soon runs its course. The primary function transitioned to a source of entertainment. From a “community” POV it was obvious I never fit in, nor did I have any interest in ever doing so. As I am now retired and have moved my official residence from stinkin NJ to Florida, this place became less relevant. Yet I found I was spending more time reading/posting here – not a good use of my time. Since I now focus my volunteering/charitable work efforts in my home state of Florida, this development became troublesome. A lyric from the Muse song “Knights of Cydonia” is relevant here:

“Don't waste your time,
Or time will waste you”

And let’s be realistic, I have less time to waste than most people on this board. Except maybe Max!

Anywho, I began to think about significantly cutting back my presence on this site, but sometimes serendipity intervenes (the ban) and offers the optimal solution – a clean break. Let’s face it, when you are wasting too much time at a place where some people are so offended about your posts they complain about it, it’s time to move on.

With that decided, I mulled over my final departure. Do I just never post again? Is it better to burn out than to fade away? Go out in a blaze of giffing glory? Cyber stalk Max for all eternity? Or post a final blog update? I finally decided on this option, as I felt it necessary for closure and to address some of the comments post-ban.

View attachment 105552

Final point on all this: @Norm I do not irritate my wife (classy move btw even bringing her up, especially with her recent medical history). Unlike the complainers, she is not a humorless snowflake. And to be clear, the vast majority of posters here “get it”, and seem to be great people.

Well that is it – adios muchumpos. There are some people I enjoy riding with – they know who they are. If you are ever in the Venice FL area, let me know and I’ll give you a taste of the local trails. And of course I will continue to ride in stinkin NJ during the summer and between thanksgiving and xmas.

Final Stats:

Distance 5,907.6 mi
Time 377h 58m
Elev Gain 185,423 ft
Rides 192

Strava “all time”

Distance 35,734.9 mi
Rides 1460
Biggest Ride 100.7 mi
Biggest Climb 2,048 ft

View attachment 105554

Don't let the door to Canada hit u in ur wrinkled old @$$. Now I will have to change my signature.

? jk

This is a good medium for the community to exchange ideas. Stick around, breaux. Please kill @Fire Marshall Max, doe.

Top Bottom