Fundraiser for new trail signs - Stay off that mud!!

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I guess I'm really not understanding the concept here. I pay state taxes, six mile is a state owned park correct? So explain why we need a GoFundMe page? Shouldn't the state be providing signage?

There’s scores of pages covering this topic dispersed throughout the forum. Here’s the cliff notes:

Access to trails is not a protected inalienable right and of the user food chain, MTB is NOT on the top of the list.

As demonstrated many times and in many places around the country, the Powers that be will ban access if they feel pressure to do so.

So what can we do?

We can be good (in fact we are better) stewards for the trails we do have access to.

We can educate others so that they can also be good ambassadors for the MTB community.

We can grow our user group in order to have a more influential voice.

We can elect representatives who recognize the sport and the value it can add to the community.

We can support those individuals/ organizations that advocate for shared responsible usage.

Last edited:

soulfly26

There’s scores of pages covering this topic dispersed throughout the forum. Here’s the cliff notes:

Access to trails is not a protected inalienable right and of the user food chain, MTB is on the top of the list.

As demonstrated many times and in many places around the country, the Powers that be will ban access if they feel pressure to do so.

So what can we do?

We can be good (in fact we are better) stewards for the trails we do have access to.

We can educate others so that they can also be good ambassadors for the MTB community.

We can grow our user group in order to have a more influential voice.

We can elect representatives who recognize the sport and the value it can add to the community.

We can support those individuals/ organizations that advocate for shared responsible usage.

My point wasn't misunderstanding the topic, my point was approval from the state. You can't just go around closing parks and putting up signs if the states not in on it. Glad to hear JDog got the appropriate approval.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I'm in, but can you just post these signs with out state/county/town approval. I'd hate to ruffle the feathers of bureaucracy
Also, did we get every org at the bottom to endorse such as the NJ DEP?
I’ve gotten official approval from the state on this format. They do not however have funds to pay for these signs.

That said, it shows great commitment within our group at large that we are making efforts to self police and educate.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I guess I'm really not understanding the concept here. I pay state taxes, six mile is a state owned park correct? So explain why we need a GoFundMe page? Shouldn't the state be providing signage?

They should be paying for signage.

They should also be paying for a full time trail crew.

For some reason, there is no money left for this type of stuff in our state.

It’s pretty disturbing

ilnadi

done and shared on FB.
ideas for left-overs:
- keep money in reserve to replace damaged signs (or make extra signs if cheaper in volume)
- make windshield cards

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
For some reason, there is no money left for this type of stuff in our state.

It’s pretty disturbing

As someone that rides past Christie's house on a somewhat regular basis, I know where that money is going.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
@GHM73 - since this broke $600, are you gonna get 1099'd on this? I've never used GoFundMe, not sure how it's set up. Sorry - just thinking ahead if you end up with taxable income here. PM me so we can take it offline but you may want to set aside something if they took your SS# to set this up.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I was going to call the phone number, but figured I'd ask first.

Is the design set? Could add a QR code.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Since the GoFundMe is now almost double, can we also invest in some game cameras and start a public shaming website?
some of the extra money should go to buying supplies to fix the trails... like wood for the bridges and tools (or at least tool rentals)

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions