Full Face Helmets

RickVaughn

Hey guys,

This might be stupid but, what's with all the full face helmets at 6 mile? I went for the first time this weekend and noticed at least 3 or 4 riders wearing full face. Is it purely safety? Coincidental?

Not trying to rip anybody for playing it safe and I've had people tell me they wear them at all times now for that reason. Just strange given how many I saw and the difficulty of the terrain.

different strokes for different folks. i'll wear a FF on the trails, but only when its stupid cold out for warmth. i think some do it for fashion, some for safety, and some because they like to pretend they are on a moto.

I've seen this before also at 6MR. Bunch o dudes in full face helmets, arm pads, knee pads, those spine protector thingys, all on full squish bikes lumbering along.
They usually look confused when I blow by them on my CX bike (I'm not fast, for the record).

Different strokes.....different folks...

I'm glad to see people helmets of any kind out there. Full face helmets are hot and heavier, but they have saved my head more than once on the DH and moto. Far be it from me to
discourage it.

was thinking of wearing my bell super during the winter to stay warm. Better than seeing all the people during the summer without a helmet. makes me cringe to think what would happen if they hit a low hanging branch.

Gotta watch out for those low hanging branches...trust me. They are everywhere and if you hit one without a helmet your riding days might end quickly. Gonna start wearing the face guard on my Bell Super 2R also. It definitely keeps you warmer in the winter. Wish i had it on yesterday morning. Plus it protects your grill!

Interesting... I've never thought of using a FF during the winter for warmth. I suppose my iD7 shoulder/back protection that I wear for DH would be bearable in colder weather as well.

If I start doing more enduro races I may start wearing knee pads for general XC riding - mainly just to get used to pedaling with them. I don't know if I'd wear elbow pads as I've not found a pair for DH that are worth a damn.

I don't see how a full face helmet will keep you any warmer in the winter unless it's completely closed like a motorcycle helmet.

I don't see how a full face helmet will keep you any warmer in the winter unless it's completely closed like a motorcycle helmet.

you know how hot they are in the summer... in the winter that "hot" translates to warmer. i think they help, especially with your cheeks.

not only do they keep you warm, but a little bit of air from your breath gets caught up in the face shield so if your lungs don't react well to cold air (like myself) they cut the bite of cold a little bit.

I bet @woody wouldn't be against wearing one at 6mr. I see it at allaire too. To each their own I guess. I wore the bell skater helmet til two years ago because bike helmets look dumb. I am comfortable looking dumb now though.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions