FS: Kona Major One 58cm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's time to sell my beloved, root beer colored Kona Major One 58cm. I picked this up from a forum member a year or so ago while I was broke so I could have a real cross bike for the upcoming season. I loved riding this thing, but picked up a new VanDessel over the winter to be a little more competitive with gears. I also have too many bikes and need to pull that rare N-1.

I'm not the original owner so I'm not sure of the year, but it's likely 2009-2011 according to the Googlemachine. This is a singlespeed specific frame with horizontal sliding dropouts. The original hub had a bolt on hub so it slipped a few times in the drop outs, but then I upgraded the axle on it to the 'Ultra New' design which uses standard allen bolts on each side for easier wheels swaps, but also seems to hold much better. The frame material is Scandium, which is supposed to be stronger and lighter than aluminum. Until this bike, I've never ridden this material, but for cross it was great between the stiffness and weight for carrying.

Upgrades
  • Velocity Major One tubular wheelset: Surly Ultra New SS rear hub, BikeHubStore front hub, Sapim spokes, brass nipples.
  • Clement PDX tubulars glued with Mastik One. Still holding air from last season.
  • Avid Shorty 6 cantis.
  • KoolStop Cross Brake pads - one singletrack ride on these
  • Hipster zebra bar tape and wine cork end plugs.
Extras
  • Factory clincher wheelset included (I think also Velocity wheels). Same Surly hub on the rear, upgraded to the Ultra New axle. I think I have a pair of new Kenda clinchers I can throw in.
  • Bike currently has 36x18 (rear is a BMX style freehub cog). Also have, I believe, a 40T and a 16T freehub.
$400.00 OBO
I'm in Mahwah, NJ and can show it there if you let me know ahead of time. Can also bring to H2H Stewart.

IMG_2524.jpg
IMG_2526.jpg
IMG_2525.jpg
IMG_2212.jpg
Thanks for looking!

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If only this was a 36x12

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
when i saw this i said i should buy these tubular wheels, but then again i forgot im all in on tubeless now

but you should just keep it, its worth more to you than $400 would be.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
when i saw this i said i should buy these tubular wheels, but then again i forgot im all in on tubeless now

They are Oishi hoops and tires, so that means they're fast. Until you factor in that I laced and trued them.

Tubeless is great, but tubular felt so, so much better. I think I ran ~25psi most of the season with my 185lbs, definitely bottomed out, and they're still holding air half a year later. SO GRIP. MUCH PLUSH.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If it were a tad bigger, I would be all over this. #1stworldproblemsofaSasquatch.

Just for shits 'n giggles.....how tall are you?

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Don't cross bikes run bigger? I know you're tall, but I cant imagine a 58 cross bike being that small for you.

My two road bikes are 60cm with longer stems (100 range) and set back posts. I'm looking for a gravel grinder type to do longer rides / bike packing trips on.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

The price is right, but just echoing this again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom