Frozen water main - suggestions?

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The party tomorrow- BYOB,
and dress to heckle if you don't have anything useful to contribute- right?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I put them on top of each other. That's good, right?
(In series, btw)

um, er, should be parallel - moar amps, not volts.

--

so i'm thinking that you should do a test - hook up 1 clamp in the house, and another in the pit, and see if the pipe gets hot between them
should happen quickly.

rlb

Give this guy a call

flamethrower-bg.jpg

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was thinking that at dinner tonight. What if there was a screwup and the water was shutoff, was that tested for?

Funnier would be Sean talking to his neighbor and the neighbor saying something like "Yeah, the utility says they'll have the street's water main fixed tomorrow, I can't wait to take a shower again."

xc62701

I might have to stop by just to see this in person. Opportunities like this don't come around too often. I'm only a few mins away.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Would love to try this, but we're outta cable. To do parallel, we'd need another of the set we cobbled together today. We've got spark, I've got beer...

well - its the morning. and i'm thinking it is a fail.
bothered me all night that the clamps did not warm up, even a bit. I have no idea why the resistance would be so high. length of pipe?

--

parallel doesn't require both connection be hooked to the pipe - using the jumpers pole-to-pole at the head unit would have worked......

100' of 1" PB, couple of fittings and a ditch witch, 100' trace wire, blue warning tape.
Rotary hammer, couple of pipe wrenches, torch, mortar mix
case of beer, 4 pizzas, videographer (going live)
ambulance, lawyer

the big question is whether to follow the old line, which goes under walls, but has a predictable depth.

rick81721

Lothar
So the bottom line here is diy = totally not worth it (other than entertainment value for spectators).

Can't believe your wife is letting this go so long!

Reactions: rlb

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You're welcome to stop by. We're gonna be burying the exposed pipe, cleaning cables and returning the pipe thawers and begging the neighbors for a hook up. Super sexy.

Top Bottom