Frozen water main - suggestions?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You just need a 10 gauge extension cord if you want to go 50'...may have to rent that too.

jackx

No 220 line needed. We're not in Europe! Although I thought I may have seen Big Sean post a ride in London for Zwift.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We've got a drier outlet, but yeah the hot shot used 110. The larger one, the 400, needs a 20 amp circuit, but the smaller can get by on a 15. With cables et al, they're 1400 bucks. I see renting in our future. Or showering at the Y all week.
IMG_20180110_101202334.jpg

gtluke

The Moped
I bet it thaws out soon. Then when it gets this cold again just leave the faucets dripping. Keep a search alert for a hot shot on craigslist.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
That was just to do the job. Not to buy the thing. We're heading out to Sussex to rent one, and the long cable runs, from a place that isn't United in Morristown, which is staffed by assholes. Fingers crossed. If that doesn't work, we'll just get smellier and smellier and eventually the Earth will move closer to the Sun and we'll be able to bath in the lake.

you know you can flush a toilet by pouring 2 gallons of water into it......oh, wait....:D

this is why one fills the bathtub when the threat of a power outage looms. not to drink it! oh, it wasn't a power outage.

damn, you are in a bad way over there - walk over to rockaway river, and get some water.

who is finding the far end of the water line? how's it getting dug up?

Someone should go video tape this, there may be free fire.

someone probably has a generator with a 110/20amp outlet if you need high mode.

this shouldn't be so tough
1515599144125.png

Last edited:

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Even if this pipe thawer works, it's still just a temporary fix until the next long freeze. May have to go for it just to get heat back for now, but it may be worth the investment of relocating the pipe deeper in the ground soon after the winter. Are there any insulation options for shallow lines that may be cheaper than relocating?

Have you been banished from the trainer until the water be runneth?

rlb

It's possible that there is some bedrock that prevented the water line from being buried deep enough when originally installed

Hopefully the hot shot works. If you don't know where the curb stop (shutoff near the curb) is located call the water company now so they can come mark it out. That way it'll be done by the time you're ready to hook it up.

gtluke

The Moped
you know you can flush a toilet by pouring 2 gallons of water into it......oh, wait....:D

this is why one fills the bathtub when the threat of a power outage looms. not to drink it! oh, it wasn't a power outage.

damn, you are in a bad way over there - walk over to rockaway river, and get some water.

who is finding the far end of the water line? how's it getting dug up?

Someone should go video tape this, there may be free fire.

someone probably has a generator with a 110/20amp outlet if you need high mode.

this shouldn't be so tough
View attachment 61690

You stick a water main key on the valve and hook it to the key.
I made a key out of a pipe and cut up a socket and welded them together if you need it Sean.

Top Bottom