Frozen water main - suggestions?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would use insulated pex but I don't want this thread to end. Love how it started because he thought the cost was too much , equipment /insurance/ labor isn't cheap. I guess we all can't work for free

I think he's learned his lesson ;)

rick81721

Lothar
when is the last time u paid your water bill?

That happened to us last time we came down here. No water - the township shut it off because they were mailing the bills to our address here and we never saw them. Wifey (also a jersey girl) was not happy having to wait 8 hrs for them to turn it back on!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
if it is getting replaced without a permit, and trench inspection, any material will do! (ok, even i want to do it correctly....)

hooking up the hot shot is an semi-skilled task, and price is only dependant on demand. digging was totally unnecessary, unless it was to id a mid-pipe point to shorten the distance.
What would they have charged if it didn't work? full price with some excuse - hopefully applying partial to main replacement. would be at the same point, only last wednesday. And probably could have gotten an inspector out.

none of this is particularly difficult. but then wait till we try to trench, and it is a giant granite ledge......

anyone have one of those trench compactors? hmm, can't compact mud...
does the base of the trench need sand ?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Note: if you go with PEX, we will never be able to again witness a welder daisy chained over jumper cables to a metal pipe in the future.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
none of this is particularly difficult. but then wait till we try to trench, and it is a giant granite ledge......
Yes this.
There is probably a legit reason why the pipe is so shallow. Doing some research as to what the neighbors have regarding water line depth an materials used would be wise. This line may need to be wrapped with a heated wire.
For now I'd look into getting exhisting water line to work. Did anyone read the instructions on how to use hotshot? Is There a trouble shooting section.
I think Luke an Woody working on the job together could get water supply going within an hour.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
In the aptly named ROCK RIDGE Lake area, I think they call that a Whaleback Waddy.
Yeah, that's the next street up. Pretty sure whatever we do in gonna involve blasting... That's just based on how easily it's gone so far...

@ktmrider, I wasn't trying to skate w/out paying what I owed. I'm an independent contractor as well, and know what things cost, and why. I'm new to all this, though. Townhouse life doesn't prepare you for a 90 year old house that's spent the last 30 on it's back foot. The kid in the unmarked van who offered to do the job for $750 was going to use a Hotshot. When I mentioned I might be able to rent one, he was all for it. He said this was a simple job. I think he may have known how unsimple it turned out to be. In any case, I rolled the dice and lost. Hubris, the internet and a rapidly fading notion of basic competency made me think I could do it. I was wrong. Failed attempts don't show up on internet searches, unless it's someone trying to ride a bike down a flight of stairs. I made the wrong call. But I didn't do it to fuck someone else out of a legit dollar. I've got very few of those left, but it turns out I'm not as smart as I thought I was, so I may end up spending all of them.

I'm dying thinking that all I had to do was leave a tap running on Saturday night. There outta be an idiot's guide to old houses in cold weather. Oh, wait, it's this thread...

I honestly don't know which way to go next. Our neighbor has hooked our garden spigot to his, which is great. Flushing is awesome. I would love to do a barn raising here. My mother can cook like no one's business. But this is a tricky effing area, and I don't want to lead anyone else down this briar-infested, rock-strewn garden path...

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I gotta drive by and take pictures. Sadly I just started reading the thread, otherwise I'd have been ringside. And I missed Pat too!

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's gonna be 4k for three days work, exclusive of the plumber on the inside of the house. Yay.
Had a scare when an old refrigerator line, which had been opened at some point in the last week, starting blowing water between the layers of flooring in the kitchen when we got the neighbors line going. Got a dehumidifier on it now, but that one nearly killed me. Til I found it. (They're so smalllllllllllll.)

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yup, new line. He does a lot of work around here, so pretty confident he'll be getting us down to where this won't happen again. The contractor who's been on point for the mudroom, who lives around the corner from me, has this guy do all his work. Swears by him. And I really like the work the contractor has been doing, so here's hoping.
Dunno exactly what he's going to use to dig, but one of the machines is a grinder, to get through the rock shelves. He said it'd be a simple job. In summertime. With the cold, and the snow coming, he's pretty sure the dig'll be two days and the rest of it in an afternoon.
Got the plumber coming on Monday to set up the interior lines and deal with some smaller issues that've cropped up.
I'm basically surrendering and pointing my wallet at this.

ktmrider

Yeah, that's the next street up. Pretty sure whatever we do in gonna involve blasting... That's just based on how easily it's gone so far...

@ktmrider, I wasn't trying to skate w/out paying what I owed. I'm an independent contractor as well, and know what things cost, and why. I'm new to all this, though. Townhouse life doesn't prepare you for a 90 year old house that's spent the last 30 on it's back foot. The kid in the unmarked van who offered to do the job for $750 was going to use a Hotshot. When I mentioned I might be able to rent one, he was all for it. He said this was a simple job. I think he may have known how unsimple it turned out to be. In any case, I rolled the dice and lost. Hubris, the internet and a rapidly fading notion of basic competency made me think I could do it. I was wrong. Failed attempts don't show up on internet searches, unless it's someone trying to ride a bike down a flight of stairs. I made the wrong call. But I didn't do it to fuck someone else out of a legit dollar. I've got very few of those left, but it turns out I'm not as smart as I thought I was, so I may end up spending all of them.

I'm dying thinking that all I had to do was leave a tap running on Saturday night. There outta be an idiot's guide to old houses in cold weather. Oh, wait, it's this thread...

I honestly don't know which way to go next. Our neighbor has hooked our garden spigot to his, which is great. Flushing is awesome. I would love to do a barn raising here. My mother can cook like no one's business. But this is a tricky effing area, and I don't want to lead anyone else down this briar-infested, rock-strewn garden path...[/

If your a contractor don’t you work closely with a plumber ? I know the guys that sub from me would help out in a instant . Matt might have someone you could use with the bro hookup , he is a contractor

Top Bottom