Freetown 50? Any Course Knowledge?

liong71er

I done it couple years ago,but DNF due to flats.
It's kinda fast trails and tight singletrack,some soft spot few climbs.
Course also rode on roads,few rocky section.
No idea what to compare in NJ,but tipical new england I guess..sorry can't help much.

onetracker

The description provided by the promoter makes it seem like a boulder field. But it seems less techy than Wayway, Ringwood or State College.

onetracker

Not sure. Still dealing with some back issues. I watched the video and it does not look that techy. I will keep you posted on my plans.

xc62701

Not sure. Still dealing with some back issues. I watched the video and it does not look that techy. I will keep you posted on my plans.

I'm thinking there are tough sections but as a whole the race can't be too bad. Should be fun regardless. I'm going up Saturday night late and staying in east providence before hitting the race Sunday.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm thinking there are tough sections but as a whole the race can't be too bad. Should be fun regardless. I'm going up Saturday night late and staying in east providence before hitting the race Sunday.

Curious. What were your impressions of this race now after you did it? How's the terrain?

xc62701

Curious. What were your impressions of this race now after you did it? How's the terrain?
Like bearscat but tougher if that helps. They just have consistently rocky trails that beat you down. There are also entire trails that are rock gardens. They say it's a tough race and they are right. It's not anything crazy technical though. One rock garden I won't attempt the hard part as I'm convinced it's not worth it. The rest is just bumpy goodness. There's not a crazy amount of climbing and you are thankful for the fireroads. It's just a fun place to ride and its run really well. Of course they changed up the course to be three laps instead of two this year to throw in the firetower climb. So I'm guessing most of it will be the same but then they will kick us in the balls going up to the tower. I'm in for this year. Do it!

huffster

@xc62701 Any chance you have a Strava link of this ride?

I may have to be in Providence sometime soon for work and this could be an option. I can always wing it. The map linked on NEMBA site (link below) indicates trails as "Unpaved Road/Snowmobile Trail", "Hiking/Skiing trail", "Motorcycle/Multi-use trail" or "Bridle trail". Nothing says "No bikes", so I kind of feel like its all fair game. But, I'd like to see what they incorporated into the race - thus bikes are allowed.

TIA.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dcr/parks/trails/freetown-fallriver.pdf

xc62701

@xc62701 Any chance you have a Strava link of this ride?

I may have to be in Providence sometime soon for work and this could be an option. I can always wing it. The map linked on NEMBA site (link below) indicates trails as "Unpaved Road/Snowmobile Trail", "Hiking/Skiing trail", "Motorcycle/Multi-use trail" or "Bridle trail". Nothing says "No bikes", so I kind of feel like its all fair game. But, I'd like to see what they incorporated into the race - thus bikes are allowed.

TIA.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dcr/parks/trails/freetown-fallriver.pdf

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1368440676

Check it out.

xc62701

^ helpful, THANKS!
No problem. And if you want the new file from the race this weekend I'll post that up too afterwards.

I can't say that I'm really 100% into racing for this race coming up but it'll be fun to pedal hard on trails I don't know. The area is just a blast and an ass kicker all in one.

Top Bottom