Freestanding Vertical Bike Storage Rack - FREE

ChrisRU

Built this when I was living in an apartment to hold my bikes in the smallest footprint possible. Completely freestanding, no need to anchor to floor or walls. Currently holds 5 bikes. Easy to modify for more/less bikes.
IMG_20140525_102103633.jpg
IMG_20140525_102131662.jpg
IMG_20140525_102206158.jpg

I removed the hooks. All that is needed is cheap screw in hooks like these from any hardware store or whatever hardware you want to use. You'll need a truck or small trailer to take it in one piece. Free to anyone who wants to pick it up in Montville.

grilledcheeseking

This is awesome. Can you measure the overall width, and the height to the top of the tire on one of the top bikes? Pretty sure this won't fit where it would need to go in my basement, but it's great inspiration at the very least. Thanks.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ill be third in line, if not at least some better pictures of how its put together, im slowly developing a storage problem in my basement and need to figure out something new.

ChrisRU

Can you measure the overall width, and the height to the top of the tire on one of the top bikes?
The rack without bikes is 80"H x 49"W x 40"D. Depending on the bike on how high you mount the hooks your probably looking at 87-88" ish overall height. The lower supports could be notched or modified to give more derailleur clearance and lower the height a few inches. Height wasn't really a concern for me. Also for width, assume for the two outer bikes that your stem will be just 2 inches or so inside of the 49" width, so the overall width will depend on how wide of bars you have.

@grilledcheeseking, let me know if your interested otherwise I'll follow up with @seanrunnette then on down the line. I'd like to get rid of this asap.

ChrisRU

@shrpshtr325 I don't have to many pictures of the build. Here are a couple I dug up. I googled DIY racks at the time and found a few different designs that I borrowed from. Each upright bike holder is built individually and a few horizontal 2x4's hold them today. Easy to replicate for as little as 2 bikes up to however many you want.

IMG_20140524_151921136.jpg
IMG_20140524_151021925.jpg

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Please don't burn it!
Unless it's a witch, but even then prolly don't. Lemme know where you are and I'll be there with my crappy truck

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
thanks for the pictures, it gives me an idea of how it went together, its looking like ill have to keep looking for something that will fit in my basement tho

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, need to archive this thread, I see myself returning to it some day to build one.
Or I'll just go to Sean's and we can make a podcast out of it.

But as I was test riding my bike after some shop time, I realized that if you flip this over, it can double as a @Ryan.P wheelie machine...

Top Bottom