Frame building?

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Who has done it? I'm toying with the idea I have an oxy acetylene kit see tubing kits on line and was thinking of making a knock off of a frame that is already out there so I can focus building. Are there any good books or things I should reference?

JDurk

Aug '18 issue of Dirt Rag had articles about DIY carbon repair, bamboo frame build from Calfee Design, and a steel frame build from the Juggernaut.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Aug '18 issue of Dirt Rag had articles about DIY carbon repair, bamboo frame build from Calfee Design, and a steel frame build from the Juggernaut.

met James of Boo Bikes a few years back - very "into" it. after we talked, he mentioned he just got off a flight and drove from JFK.
next time i saw him, he was asleep on the floor of one of the team tents at HippoCx.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod

should have said I'm mostly looking into steel, considering picking up a small DC tig setup but I have had pretty limited(none) experience in that.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Who has done it? I'm toying with the idea I have an oxy acetylene kit see tubing kits on line and was thinking of making a knock off of a frame that is already out there so I can focus building. Are there any good books or things I should reference?
Kris from 44 bikes has done some very detailed write ups. Just google search it. I want to do some frames but life is to busy now. When I can focus on it I will start to dabble.

don

I do tig lessons at my house and would be interested in working on something together with you. Where are you located?

OP - Take the money that you would use to go to a frame building school and buy a decent welder. Then take Dave up on his lessons. Learn as much as you can about TIG welding first.

After you get good at welding then make a decent fixture. There are plenty of plans for homemade fixtures that would be fine for a personal build. For tubing, you can cope it by hand and there are programs that will stencil where to cut.

DM me if you want to ask about the Brew class.

qclabrat

Check out the TCCD, I visited them a few years back with my brother who lives out there
IMG_20190305_213910.jpg

It's a 2-3 year program depending on what you want to specialize in. First year is just welding frames.
IMG_20190305_213953.jpg

I also went to Cherubim to be measured. They have my specs, just need to send them 3k, which is not terrible for exquisite workmanship.
IMG_20190305_214131.jpg

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Definitely an interesting topic and perhaps its something I might want to mess around with when I have time but I don't think I would want to do something like this now.

Top Bottom