Fox fork-clunk on top out?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fox Float 29 CTD, 120mm Evolution.
When I preload, then bunny hop or something, the fork makes a dramatic "clunk" when it tops out. Pretty much any time I put some weight into it.

I also noticed the lower red rebound knob seems to make no difference at either end of it's adjustment. Strangely the fork rides fine otherwise. I checked air pressure, no leaks on the unit, bike is a 2013 so it can't be that worn, can it?

Oh also, twice on a "not that bad" hit it felt like it bottomed.

Google didn't find anything terribly common but there were a few broken units. So it might just be broke.:cry:
Thanks.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sounds like the rebound is busted and at full speed.

That would make a ton of sense. After reading some Google results, there were a few mentions of over-turning the rebound knob and jamming the rebound damper. Which I may have done.
Either way it's probably going to have to come apart. poo.
Thanks Luke.

Blair

if it were me I would pay someone to do it. my fork clunks a little also when the rebound is fast, but the adjustment still works and when I slow the rebound the clunking goes away. but I like it fast.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
You would need to remove the damper assembly and in order to see what broke, you would definitely need at least some soft shaft jaws for a vice and a torque wrench to reassemble. The "bullet tool" is also necessary to keep the seals from ripping.

IIRC you're up by john n and Jim v so you have some great options if you need suspension help.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You guys are probably right. I like being self sufficient...however by the time I got everything together it would probably cost about the same.

Just got off the phone with John, he made it sound like a common enough problem with a few different reasons.
FWIW John is now at the new Cycle Craft in Jefferson. Marty's was nice enough to tell me where he went.
Thanks gang!

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
http://www.ridefox.com/content.php?c=recall

I know of two riding friends that had recalled forks. Worth a shot.

Sorry, didn't update.
John pulled it apart and found the rebound cartridge was blow'd up, like pieces and parts in there. Although the serial number doesn't match the recall list, Fox is going to evaluate for warranty. I'm not the original owner of the bike but it's a 2013 so we might have a shot. Fingers crossed...

Top Bottom