Found Garmin at Hartshorne

SmooveP

Whilst changing a flat today, a woman passing by mentioned that she found a Garmin on Grand Tour the other day. If you lost one and can positively identify it, message me and I'll contact her to negotiate the return of the hostage, er, GPS I mean.

mikemagrans

Hi - I lost my Garmin on that day: it's an Edge 305
Serial Number: 18u074238
It is gray / black and the buttons don't work very well.
Can you text me - 646 483 6729

BShow

I wonder if you can reach out to garmin? Seems like they should be able to track down an owner and/or locate a lost or stolen unit based upon registration of the device. I guess the question is: Would they?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I wonder if you can reach out to garmin? Seems like they should be able to track down an owner and/or locate a lost or stolen unit based upon registration of the device. I guess the question is: Would they?

They absolutely could identify a lost/stolen device that connected to their back-end. They won't without a subpoena.
that would give a user name, where they used the garmin, where it was when it connected, and probably an IP address ....

So when a subpoena is presented to a company to provide information, they are allowed to charge a reasonable amount for extraction and presentation.
Lawyers are involved, etc, so reasonable is relative. I'll check with some friends to see what their company charges.

SmooveP

I left a voicemail message with the woman yesterday. No return call yet. If I don't hear from her by the end of today, I'll try again. If it's OK, I'll just leave her your number and cut out the middleman (me). She also mentioned that she was going to try contacting the park system, so you may want to try that yourself to see if she turned it in to them.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
They absolutely could identify a lost/stolen device that connected to their back-end. They won't without a subpoena.
that would give a user name, where they used the garmin, where it was when it connected, and probably an IP address ....

So when a subpoena is presented to a company to provide information, they are allowed to charge a reasonable amount for extraction and presentation.
Lawyers are involved, etc, so reasonable is relative. I'll check with some friends to see what their company charges.

Did you file the court case yet?

Patrick

Staff member

Here is a better one....

My SiriusXM tuner was stolen
SXM: We'll send you a new one for free
Oh great, you can catch the guy that stole it when they activated.
SXM: Yes we will, thanks. (but they don't because that is another customer)

the only time they will tombstone a radio is by judicial decree (the police are trying to catch the thief)

------

I haven't heard back - my buddy just sold his firm, so he is probably jetting around the world. They did tech forensics and litigation support.

Patrick

Staff member

This just in - Companies are not paid to supply data - if they have it, the court compels them to turn it over.
If the request is onerous, the company can argue that it not fulfill it, or negotiate to reduce the request to reasonable.

Also, it would take a court order to monitor for a device being connected. Unless you are the NSA.

Products or services that collect such data must plan for cost-of-compliance in their business case.

very interesting - in the internet_of_everything - think about that new $5,000 connected espresso maker getting stolen.
more than likely it can report where it is, either to the company or the original owner....perhaps services like find-my-iphone were
to satisfy more than just figuring out it was left on the counter at starbucks....

thegock

Lost: @ Claypit Creek lot North side-Saturday 2/18 between 1pm and 1:30pm

One Troy Lee Design speed forearm pad

One POC VPD Air knee pad

Mild reward: PM me or flame here.

EDIT: THANKS! Reward to follow...

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

Here is a better one....

My SiriusXM tuner was stolen
SXM: We'll send you a new one for free
Oh great, you can catch the guy that stole it when they activated.
SXM: Yes we will, thanks. (but they don't because that is another customer)

the only time they will tombstone a radio is by judicial decree (the police are trying to catch the thief)
Ahhhhh...they don't want to catch the thief, they now have a new paying customer.

Last edited:

Supermoto

This just in - Companies are not paid to supply data - if they have it, the court compels them to turn it over.
If the request is onerous, the company can argue that it not fulfill it, or negotiate to reduce the request to reasonable.

Also, it would take a court order to monitor for a device being connected. Unless you are the NSA.

Products or services that collect such data must plan for cost-of-compliance in their business case.

I have heard that companies, lets say Verizon, do charge for the data, usually it is per copy charge

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have heard that companies, lets say Verizon, do charge for the data, usually it is per copy charge

Verizon has an entire department that answers legal requests and subpoenas. They're pretty busy too. I'm not sure what the process is, but there is a process.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions