Found: Crank Brothers Pedal

bucknejo

hey guys,

i found this pedal close to the top of circle switch today. doesn't look like its been there for a while b/c it was under a tree that had just fallen over the path. i have it in allendale if anyone wants to claim it. not sure if it is still usable.

IMG_0043.JPG

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
that looks pretty well unsalvagable, iirc the nut in the end is supposed to come out BEFORE the spindle slides out of the body . . . .

mfennell

I broke so many of those I started carrying spares. Now they're on my zwift-dedicated setup. I even broke one indoors! Always the same - the spring breaks at the tight radius at the end.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I broke so many of those I started carrying spares. Now they're on my zwift-dedicated setup. I even broke one indoors! Always the same - the spring breaks at the tight radius at the end.

which version of them were you buying? iv broken a couple of the cheap ones, but the fully cast stainless bodies(3s i think) have been fine, and iv never managed to break a spring, not sure what some people do that they are constantly complaining about them. plus replacable bearings are always nice.

mfennell

which version of them were you buying? iv broken a couple of the cheap ones, but the fully cast stainless bodies(3s i think) have been fine, and iv never managed to break a spring, not sure what some people do that they are constantly complaining about them. plus replacable bearings are always nice.
Both the cheap C and the 'better' SL. I switched to Time and haven't had a problem since.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
the cheap ones are REALLY cheap stamped steel, not surprised that those break, but the nicer ones (not sur where SL lands in their lineup now) are cast 17-4 and seem to hold up well to my riding in the north jersey rocks . . . . either way, glad you found something that works for you.

the bearings on the shimano SPDs (mtn bike spds) just didnt last, 1kmiles and they were grinding, non-servicable bearings meant new pedal time . . . . tried a pair of borrow times, but probably didnt have enough time to get adjusted, the eggbeaters just felt right, plus consistency is nice(not adjustable with a screw, you change the cleats to adjust).

Didn't @jimvreeland just break a shimano? #nowwhat?
several iirc . . .

Mtbdog

It can wear out and break ,then go home with it's owner and then in the trash at home. Not the trails last I checked Circleswitch wasn't a garbage dump nor the rest of High Mt. Keep it clean!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It can wear out and break ,then go home with it's owner and then in the trash at home. Not the trails last I checked Circleswitch wasn't a garbage dump nor the rest of High Mt. Keep it clean!
Agreed. Though I tend to allow for mitigating circumstances. Like when someone is flying down the highway like an asshole, I assume they are rushing to the hospital as their wife is giving birth.

Likewise, in this case, the biker had just broken his/her pedal then suddenly got chased by a skunk. I see not other plausible explanation.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Agreed. Though I tend to allow for mitigating circumstances. Like when someone is flying down the highway like an asshole, I assume they are rushing to the hospital as their wife is giving birth.

Likewise, in this case, the biker had just broken his/her pedal then suddenly got chased by a skunk. I see not other plausible explanation.
it coulda been a bear . . . (in which case hed likely have been unable to go back for the broken pedal)