Forest Fire @ Batsto

dkocnj

Just saw on the news that there was a forest fire on Sunday in Batsto. News said it was along Bastso Road. Can anyone confirm if this affected the mountain bike trails?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i was coming in here to make a joke, but i smelt something burning when i got out of my kaa here in Dayton.

RIP Wharton

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
The smell of smoke is strong in North Brunswick this morning. So strong in fact, that I thought it might have been a local fire.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i thought it was a fire around here - i smelled it in warren and berkeley heights.

moray42

Merman
I could smell it all the way and into NYC this morning, but I think some of that was just humid air keeping it low this morning. As Kurt said though, shrug. At least one a year it seems, but there were plenty of controlled burns in that area recently. Haven't seen where it was along batsto rd, but the park is pretty big so it may not have hit where the trails are.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
The news reports say that the fire never got closer then three miles from Batsto on Batsto Rd.. Which I'm guessing puts it near where the eastern side of the PBT hooks north.
One word on Twitter says the fire was spotted by the Medford Watchtower personnel as originating near Carranza Rd. Which puts it up near the northeast corner of the PBT.

I hope to take the 4x4 out there late this afternoon and see whats up.

There were reports of billions and billions of chiggers fleeing ahead of the fire.

Davesnhere

Latest report states that the fire is 70 percent contained(as of noon today), and the rain should take care of the rest...Also states that they think it originated around Mt Devious...hope that this will also puts a dent in the tick population...

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
All of the news vans were parked near the Batsto Wharton office. Followed the well worn path down Batsto Rd. and up Quaker Bridge Rd.
Made it as far as Penn Swamp, where the forest fire service asked me to turn around. The woods were fresh up to that point.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Riding the PBT ccw, found that its all ridable and easy to follow thru the burnt parts... the burnt parts (whether from pre-burns, back burns, or big burns) are: from the StumpDump to the ghost town of Mount; and on the north side, from the Mount-Sandy Ridge Road crossing to Quaker Bridge Road.

If there is an upside to these burns, its that the brushy thorny section, south of Mount, that we have to brush out every 12 to 18 months to keep ridable, should be clear and ridable for at least 2 yrs.

Last edited:

Optiwizard

Rode it Wednesday, if going ccw first half of orange is burnt. And I mean BURNT mileage signs burnt only sign to live was Kurts loop. But was like a new trail and very much ride able. When we got done we all realized how many trees we rub as the black was all down our sides. Couple Deep Sand road crossings as I guess they dug up to contain the fire. Almost looked like a controlled burn just got out of hand as it butted up to the blue that had already been burnt. Weird riding in black woods. Then as you start to come out of it the trail is brown and everything else is black. Then second half back to full color.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
mile marker & halfway map kiosk

DSCF1467.JPG

DSCF1470.JPG

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions